Google Messages brings E2EE to group chats, makes RCS the default

ad47uk

Feb 24, 2017
Visit site
I don't use Google messages, I use an app called Textra, the network I use don't support it RCS and to be honest I really don't feel it is any advantage to me.

i also just don't like google messages.

Reactions: ED the new guy

ED the new guy

May 4, 2018
Visit site
The e2e encryption doesn't hurt either. Along with the larger file sizes you can send.
Having e2e encryption is pointless if noone receives your messages. I've only ever had problems with Google's Messages app and RCS. It requires data and it has a really unreliable SMS/MMS fallback mechanism if the message fails to send. Occasionally I'll turn it on to see if the problems have been fixed. It gets turned off every time because the same flaws that plagued it at launch still plague it.

Until RCS has an infallible fallback mechanism to SMS and it doesn't use data (the same way MMS doesn't use data on the carrier side and can turn on data to send or receive a message if data is off) it's staying off.

You're better off using separate apps. Messages for text messages and then WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger for data-based communications.

Besides you're missing out on nothing since noone uses RCS and the only companies to support RCS are those without robust internet based messaging platforms (like Google or Microsoft... Skype ended up fading away when Microsoft bought them).

ED the new guy

May 4, 2018
Visit site
I don't use Google messages, I use an app called Textra, the network I use don't support it RCS and to be honest I really don't feel it is any advantage to me.

i also just don't like google messages.
There is no advantage to end users.

Only Google and Microsoft stand to gain from RCS since they're the ones who failed to build successful instant messaging platforms on the internet that people actually want to use.

It's a solution not for real people problems but for corporation problems.

RCS has been around for six years or more and it's still stuck in obscurity. My experience with technology that has failed to take off in six years is that it'll never take off.

Communication now happens via SMS/MMS if it's local. iMessage between iPhone users with unlimited (high cap) data plans. WhatsApp in some markets and between people from different countries, and to a smaller extent, Facebook Messenger.

There is no need for RCS in there. Few carriers support RCS and even fewer SMS apps support it (Apple certainly doesn't and if it can't run on an iPhone it basically doesn't exist in the wealthy world).

Reactions: ad47uk

ad47uk

Feb 24, 2017
Visit site
There is no advantage to end users.

Only Google and Microsoft stand to gain from RCS since they're the ones who failed to build successful instant messaging platforms on the internet that people actually want to use.

It's a solution not for real people problems but for corporation problems.

RCS has been around for six years or more and it's still stuck in obscurity. My experience with technology that has failed to take off in six years is that it'll never take off.

Communication now happens via SMS/MMS if it's local. iMessage between iPhone users with unlimited (high cap) data plans. WhatsApp in some markets and between people from different countries, and to a smaller extent, Facebook Messenger.

There is no need for RCS in there. Few carriers support RCS and even fewer SMS apps support it (Apple certainly doesn't and if it can't run on an iPhone it basically doesn't exist in the wealthy world).
My carrier don't support RCS, it is a virtual network, I doubt it ever will support, I know google take over if the carrier doesn't support it, but that means my message going through Googles servers. No, thanks. google wanted Android to compete with Imessage. I can use imessage on my mac, but since I don't have a Iphone, I would have to wait until I use the computer to get any messages, so a waste of time using it, also most people I message use a Android phone, one even use a non-smart phone.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe