Google Technical Support and Corporate Woes

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
So all the the nastiness I hear about Google products and tech support came crashing down around my head of late. First, I own 6 Google Home devices and LOVE them all despite some of the quirks and the Google Play Services packet flooding issue that was/is driving people to go out and buy new routers and exchange Google devices to no fault of those devices. That's been fixed, thank goodness! But what's really got me in a tizzy is how I was treated by Google tech support when I called in about a "Broadcasting" snafu.

The way the GH Broadcasting feature works includes some commands that will be broadcast by your assistant's voice, not your own. Google even has a support page listing what you can broadcast in the assistant's voice, along with Delightful Sounds".

https://support.google.com/googlehome/answer/7531913?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

Four out of four tech support people I chatted with and talked to had NO CLUE it worked this way. All told me it did not. The upper tier tech support that "Debbie" talked to on my behalf (Case ID [4-1757000020828] told me to "prove it. Prove what you're telling us you hear under these circumstances". Prove it??? They want ME to prove how THEIR product is supposed to work? In other words, they think I'm lying? I'm a liar? :eek: I'm not but I'm also no longer a Google cheerleader!

Today, I called Google Corporate. Surely someone there will CARE what kind of buffoons are swimming in the Google tech pool (that needs drained and restocked with at least 6th grade educated people). No, there really wasn't anyone there that I could talk to or she could relay the message to. Asked if there was ANYone there that could listen to my concern and take action. "No, I'm sorry", she said, "the best place to get help is the Google Home product forum". Surely she didn't think I started at the top :eek: I explained to her that I've been on that forum for months and at a 6 star level and have earned at least 10 "Best Answers". I offer help and ask for help. I see no evidence that anyone there takes problems to a higher level. I also belong to the Reddit community (Everything Google Home) and have talked to them about this issue. I started with Google Chat and was told that's not the way Broadcasting works. Tried another chat person. They said the same thing. CALLED tech support. Debbie said the same thing. I convinced her she was wrong and asked to speak to a higher level tech support person. Apparently that's not an option but she talked to them to see if my problem was worthy of their, uh, "expertise". That's when the word came back that they needed PROOF that the feature actually was to work the way I was claiming it worked (sigh). Whatever happened to the days of "the customer is always right"?

What do I want? I want an apology. I want Google to step up their game and treat their customers with more respect. I want them to hire/train competent people with a good understanding of the product they are SUPPORTING. Is that too much to ask? I WANT GOOGLE TO BE THE COMPANY I THOUGHT THEY WERE! And while we're at it, I want my Fox News to work on my GH devices!!! Yet another issue they haven't been able to fix since last April!

Why am I posting this here? To spread the word!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So your issue is that the support folks aren't up to date on documented features?

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
That and being told to "PROVE IT" For a customer to be told to PROVE to the company how their product works (before my issue was deemed worthy of being escalated to an upper tier support team) is just rude and disrespectful. The support team should KNOW the product they're supporting, right? Am I missing something? And it wasn't just one support person, it was four, including a upper tier tech agent. Hope the next time I get on a plane, the pilot doesn't get on the intercom and say, "if someone could show me how to land this plane, I'll do it" :eek:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This is not to excuse how you were treated, but just to be clear -- what is your understanding of the Broadcast feature, and how was it not working for you? I haven't tried it myself (I only have one Home device), but my understanding is that you can use Google Home devices like an intercom (although it's not clear to me if the message you ask to broadcast is delivered as a recording of your voice, or if it's in Google Assistant's own voice).

(I just tried the Delightful Sounds feature, and it plays a preset sound effect and message in Google Assistant's voice.)

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
B.Diddy, Broadcast feature can work two ways. In the link above, it shows a list of broadcast commands that will send out a broadcast/announcement to ALL GH devices on your network in the Assistant's voice (along with "delightful sounds"). Custom broadcasts will be played in your own voice UNLESS you type it in Google Assistant. You'll notice a keyboard in the bottom left corner of GA. No matter what I broadcast, they were all being sent out in my voice. I could read word for word from the list on Google's own support page and it would be announced in my voice. It used to work correctly but starting shortly after Christmas, it stopped broadcasting in GA's voice.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So I'm learning about this feature myself, as I hadn't delved deep into Google Home until reading your post (and it's quite cool!). I just tested it on my Google Home Mini, and the "delightful sounds" are in fact broadcasting in Assistant's voice, not my own. There's supposed to be an updated to Google Play Services (11.9.75) pushing out now, which was supposed to fix a number of issues with Google Home and Chromecast devices -- did you get that yet? Maybe that will fix it.

Last edited:

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes Diddy. I had the GPS update pushed to me about 2+ weeks ago when it was still in beta. I had to join the Google beta program to get it. It cleared up EVERYthing but not this. I wasn't really even looking for it to clear up this issue. I was about ready to throw my 6 GHs in the lake :eek: I don't have a Chromecast so I don't think I had it as bad as those that casted to their TV (like crashing routers) But things like "there was a glitch" or "sorry, something went wrong" or multiple GHs answering at once (one giving the answer and the others saying something went wrong". Talking to one 12" away and one 20' away answering. Also very slow response time. Sometimes they timed out and didn't reply at all. Google Play Music stuttered so bad it wasn't worth using. That little patch did wonders! They've never worked better.

Since you only have one GH, you're using your phone to Broadcast. Just wanted to let you know that if you get more GHs (how can you only have just one? That's like eating one Lays potato chip LOL), Broadcasting will broadcast to ALL GH devices. At this time, you can't send to just one device like you can with Alexa's Drop-in feature. And speaking of Alexa, if you have one, you can now, without a 3rd party skill, send text messages. Come on Google, get on the ball!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I was just recently experiencing that "Sorry, something went wrong" glitch, and had to do a factory reset of the Home Mini, which cleared it up.

As for refinement of experience and features -- well, it is Google were talking about here. This tends to be their M.O. -- come up with some interesting stuff and put it out there in a near-beta form, and work out the bugs from there.:-\

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201