Google Voice Input Wrong Language after Google updated the voice search UI

Anson Tung

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
After Google recently updated their voice search layout to the one where it says the language you are using compared to the old one that doesn't, voice search (pressing the mic icon to input next to the search bar) would use my system language (Traditional Chinese, Hong Kong) instead of my voice setting which is (Cantonese, Hong Kong).

If the voice setting is traditional chinese, it would use mandarin instead of cantonese. This issue only affects the mic button in search bars (e.g. chrome, youtube, google maps etc) , and would work fine via Gboard or manually selecting google voice input via changing keyboard method.

Previously I had this issue and my workaround was to downgrade to Google app stable instead of beta, but now that even the stable app has been updated to the new voice search UI, I can't find any solutions and that's very annoying.

Is there a way that I could change the language? Since there isn't a "Cantonese" option as display language I cannot change that as other posts suggest.
Thanks!

TL:DR - Voice search is now recognizing in mandarin instead of cantonese despite my language setting under voice search

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Which exact language option are you using? When I open my Google app and tap More>Settings, there are two places to adjust language:

1. Google Assistant>Assistant>Languages

2. Voice>Languages

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej