How do I transfer book files from Mac to Note?

Steve_Riley

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,
I just registered so if I do anything dumb, please cut me some slack.
OK, I'm trying to transfer some e-books from my Mac Mini across to my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1.
I have Kies installed on my Mac (since about 10 minutes ago) and it looks simple enough except that it won't accept e-book files as being valid files to transfer. It only seems to want to accept either music files or video files.
Does anyone know of a way to get these e-book files over to the Note?
Cheers,
Steve

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
For my e-books, I just attache my GN to the Usb on my PC via the power cable and drag the files over to the SD card and I use Moon Reader as my e-book reader app. Whatever app you use to read them on the GN should have a way to import them into the app from the SD card. I've only used Kies for installing updates if I couldn't get them OTA. Kies works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't, for me anyways.

Steve_Riley

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks very much for the info, Andy. Much appreciated. The only snag with it is that when I connect my GN to my Mac via the USB lead, there is nothing that shows up on the screen to show a connection. I suppose the only way forward is to go back to 1986 and stick the mini SD card into the Mac Mini and copy the files over that way and then stick the mini SD card back into the GN and work from there. I was just hoping that there was a tidier way of doing it.
Once again, thank you.
Steve

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks very much for the info, Andy. Much appreciated. The only snag with it is that when I connect my GN to my Mac via the USB lead, there is nothing that shows up on the screen to show a connection. I suppose the only way forward is to go back to 1986 and stick the mini SD card into the Mac Mini and copy the files over that way and then stick the mini SD card back into the GN and work from there. I was just hoping that there was a tidier way of doing it.
Once again, thank you.
Steve

I was having the same problem tonight. I hooked my 10.1 to the USB and nothing showed on the computer. I remember that happening before and what I did to fix it. I had left Samsung Kies on my PC after installing the last update to my 10.1. Like I said, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I connect the GN to the Usb and start Kies and it takes forever to connect. So I uninstalled Kies from my PC and restarted the PC. Then when it was back on, I reconnected My GN 10.1 to my USB and the window pops up to show the GT-N8013 and the different options to either View files, use dropbox, etc.. See if that works on your Mac. Just uninstall the Kies software from your Mac, then restart the Mac and reconnect your Note via the USB cable. Seems like Kies being loaded on my PC was what caused the problem for me not seeing my device. Hope that helps Steve.

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Suggest you check the notification area on your SGN right after you plug into the Mac...look for the USB symbol when you swipe up..it may say connected as installer or something else (mine's a Verizon 4G 10.1) ...anyway set it to be connected "As A Media Device (MTP)" by checkg that box...it should then show up on the Mac or PC in a few seconds as a drive.

Steve_Riley

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Oh dear. It's all starting to look a bit complicated. Complicated for me anyway.
Here's what I have managed to do so far. Don't ask me what I did to do the things that I did. They just seemed to happen, lol
I got rid of Kies as advised and stuck the mini SD card with the e-books on it into the slot on the Galaxy Note 10.1. I then went to "My Files" and found each individual book on the memory card and copied it over to my e-book reader which is Aldiko (or a name similar to that. I can't check because only a raging fire would allow me to prise the GN out of my wife's hands when she is talking to her Bingo Buddies. So anyway, all the book titles have been copied over except the ones that are in .mobi format. I have downloaded and installed the Kindle e-book reader which is supposed to be able to read these .mobi files but I'm blowed if I can get the book files recognised by the GN.
The thing is, with all the other file endings, when I click on the title I get a pop-up saying, "Transferring to book list" or words to that effect and, when I looked on Aldiko, there they all were. But with these .mobi files, whan I click on them, all I get is a message on screen saying something like, "No App can use these files"
I'm completely stuck now so any help would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Steve

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Oh dear. It's all starting to look a bit complicated. Complicated for me anyway.
Here's what I have managed to do so far. Don't ask me what I did to do the things that I did. They just seemed to happen, lol
I got rid of Kies as advised and stuck the mini SD card with the e-books on it into the slot on the Galaxy Note 10.1. I then went to "My Files" and found each individual book on the memory card and copied it over to my e-book reader which is Aldiko (or a name similar to that. I can't check because only a raging fire would allow me to prise the GN out of my wife's hands when she is talking to her Bingo Buddies. So anyway, all the book titles have been copied over except the ones that are in .mobi format. I have downloaded and installed the Kindle e-book reader which is supposed to be able to read these .mobi files but I'm blowed if I can get the book files recognised by the GN.
The thing is, with all the other file endings, when I click on the title I get a pop-up saying, "Transferring to book list" or words to that effect and, when I looked on Aldiko, there they all were. But with these .mobi files, whan I click on them, all I get is a message on screen saying something like, "No App can use these files"
I'm completely stuck now so any help would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Steve

Steve,
I use to use Aldiko ereader app also, then changed to Moon Reader. There is an App for my PC, not sure if for Macs also, but should be, called Calibre. It lets you change the file format. I had an amazon book back when I had Aldiko that it wouldn't read and I changed to Epub format with Calibre. Should work for you. I find that Epub format seems to work the best for me. Most ereader apps can use it. I also used it when I had an Ipad. That should do it for you.