How long can I keep using an older Android device?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I am a reasonably techy person.

Ideally I would like to find an Android tablet expert, to answer questions about older Android versions for tablets, how long they are viable, etc.

I have a Samsung Galaxy View 18 inch tablet that is the most useful device I have ever owned, but it has 5.1.1, which is extremely old, and vulnerable, and the tablet is running less and less well (eg Chrome and Gmail are increasingly slow. Yes a factory reset will probably help speed, but not vulnerability, or compatibility with newer apps.) But it is awesome and there is no way I want to chuck it and buy a replacement. I use it for 80% of my work every day, with the obvious major exception being for extensive typed input (I try to use voice entry more and more). Its not like a phone, which I replace every 24 months.

Even while having a Samsung Tab E and a Galaxy S20, this device remains far too useful and productive to give up on. I do almost everything and anything on it.

I just need a referral to someone or a site or forum who might know someone who might know an expert on updating Android and when it is no longer possible to do so. I don't need an Android developer, per se. I need a user and updating expert. An android tablet geek. I am doing google searches to find such a forum or expert. Any referral to where I should be asking this question will be much appreciated.

Any referral or tips re where I should be asking this question will be much appreciated.

ashune

Feb 4, 2018
Visit site

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Even if you could find a Rom with different andriod version the Devs probably lost interest to support it.

I wouldn't trust it for important data or work information on it , banks app and such, doing gaming, surfing the web stuff like that stick to .

I'll leave a Link to register so you can communicate here as a guest account you can only post questions but can't reply

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=409154

Richard Roy1

Jan 5, 2021
Visit site
Mr Master refers me to a Dev forum. I did say I dont need a dev expert. Mustang7757, your response is helpful. Not sure how vulnerable I am if I am using an Outlook app to access business email, but I dont do that much, and I can refrain from the more risky uses, as you suggest. I am not a gamer. I don one hell of a lot of reading, internet research, accessing sites and reading research papers on it. Not sure how vulnerable I am using all things Google on this device. I don't know enough about vulnerabilities that are caused by an old, unsupported OS when everything Google is so cloud-based.
I guess I should have asked directly if there is any chance of getting a newer, still-supported version of android on this device. I kind of doubt it is possible, but worth asking the question. Maybe I will have to replace it and use it only for the simple stuff you mentioned, and maybe as a handy display for screen mirroring.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Mr Master refers me to a Dev forum. I did say I dont need a dev expert. Mustang7757, your response is helpful. Not sure how vulnerable I am if I am using an Outlook app to access business email, but I dont do that much, and I can refrain from the more risky uses, as you suggest. I am not a gamer. I don one hell of a lot of reading, internet research, accessing sites and reading research papers on it. Not sure how vulnerable I am using all things Google on this device. I don't know enough about vulnerabilities that are caused by an old, unsupported OS when everything Google is so cloud-based.
I guess I should have asked directly if there is any chance of getting a newer, still-supported version of android on this device. I kind of doubt it is possible, but worth asking the question. Maybe I will have to replace it and use it only for the simple stuff you mentioned, and maybe as a handy display for screen mirroring.
Hi Richard, welcome to AC!
I think if your careful, you can get by like how we talked about, a Team Member @B. Diddy and good guy put together a very helpful guide to follow and some things could use since you won't have the security patches like current devices, ill leave a Link for you to look over .

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=1015048

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Realistically you can use it for as long as it's able to do what you need it to. I don't trust banking or sensitive information on anything that doesn't have up to date security patches but otherwise apps and web browsing are usually fine. I still use my Note 3 stuck on Android 5 to cast videos to a TV and my even older Note 10 tablet on 4.4 as an alarm clock still and rare occasion doodle on it.