How to test benchmark Mobile Phone microSD card reader or Host controller specifications?

Jan 9, 2020
Visit site
I want purchase a new high capacity (64GB or 128GB) high speed (100Mbps 170Mbps 250 MBps) MicroSdcard for Swapping/Adoptable /linking apps through Link2SD/ portable (adoptable) storage

so i want to confirm compatibility feasibility speed performance my external sdcard slot/tray/reader/chip/Host controller should have according to my device and Android lolipop 5.1.1 support.

High capacity MicroSd card comes with pre-formatted extfat file system but my mobile manufacturer technical specification of mobile device says it supports up to 128gb and fat32 file system

There are many available sdcards Micro i want to know that type (SDHC SDXC) UHs speed Class (UHSI UHS II) Video Speed Class (v10 v30 v60 V90) and App performance class (A10) Speed of (90 Mbps 100Mbps 170Mbps 250MBps) its confusing which will be compatible feasible and best for adaptable swap and give optimum performance for the purpose.

secondly there is not use of extra speed or video class card if Device or Android supports works on less speed.

Before purchasing to decide i want to confirm benchmark and check my mobile device and understand clarify following questions and queries to decide which card will be compatible for my android lolipop 5.1.1 OS and Mobile device :-

is there method or any adb shell android Command or script or apps of hardware info or bench marking apps through which we can check test to know device mobiles external Sdcard *SLOTS/READER/CHIP/HARDWARE/HOST CONTROLLER** optimum hardware compatibility :-

a) for **type** of device compatible microSD cards (SDHC / SDXC)

b) Type of **file system supported** or mounted OR FORCED TO BE MOUNTED
allowed/permitted on externalsd card and can it be modified or changed

c) maximum **Practical capacity** supported microSD in the device and can
it be forcebly be extended ie. 128gb or more we can force by
partitioning the card to multiple partitions or increasing the size

d) **UHS bus speed ** (UHSI UHS II) compatible

e) **UHS bus speed class** (u1 10 mbp/s u30 30 mbp/s ) compatible

e) **Video Speed Class** (v10 v30 v60 V90) compatible

f) **App performance class** (A1) compatible

g) Maximum sequential read speed compatible (90 Mbps 100Mbps 170Mbps
250MBps)

h) **minimum/Maximum sequential write** speed compatible

i) **minimum/ Maximum random read/write speed** compatible

**for suggestions and answers I have pre-tested through androbench app**

a) internal memory of my device through writing **64Mb** file to /data/
(ext4 partition mounted) (64Mb file used for testing)

sequential read 128 MB/s

sequential write 12 MB/s

random read 10.93 Mb/s 2800.4 IOPS (4KB)

random write 3.9 Mb p/s 996.31 IOPS (4KB)

*is there any restriction in device or android should we need to match
externalsd speed performance with internal sd as we have we can use
external sdcard as internal either by swapping/adoptable /linking or it
will work in more or less performance to*

b) External memory of HP SHDHC Class 10 16GB (still i want to switch over to
high capacity card) of my device through writing 64Mb file /external_sd/
(fat32 partition mounted)(64 MB File)

sequential read 35.56 MB/s (printed 95MB/s)

sequential write 8.6 MB/s

random read 4.36 Mb/s 1117.58 IOPS (4KB)

random write 0.53 Mb p/s 136.38 IOPS (4KB)

Hp printed 95MB/s but result is 35.5MB/s now its device result,fat32
file system result or sdcard performance result don't know how to
differentiate it .

*- kindly tell me commands for testing it*

**how to find device external mircro sdcard slot/chip/hardware/reader speed and other information asked above**

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I want purchase a new high capacity (64GB or 128GB) high speed (100Mbps 170Mbps 250 MBps)
That would be a UHS-II card.

portable (adoptable) storage
There's portable storage and there's adoptable storage, there's no portable (adoptable) storage.

so i want to confirm compatibility feasibility speed performance my external sdcard slot/tray/reader/chip/Host controller should have according to my device and Android lolipop 5.1.1 support.
Adoptable storage was introduced in 6.0, so 5.1.1 doesn't have it (and it can't be "added").

High capacity MicroSd card comes with pre-formatted extfat file system but my mobile manufacturer technical specification of mobile device says it supports up to 128gb and fat32 file system
128GB is exFAT by definition. Volumes in FAT can't be larger than 32GB.

is there method or any adb shell android Command or script or apps of hardware info or bench marking apps through which we can check test to know device mobiles external Sdcard *SLOTS/READER/CHIP/HARDWARE/HOST CONTROLLER** optimum hardware compatibility :-
There's no "optimum compatibility. If your device supports exFAT, it supports exFAT. That's compatibility. Speed has nothing to do with compatibility.

a) for **type** of device compatible microSD cards (SDHC / SDXC)
SDHC is up to 32GB. SDXC is up to 2TB.

b) Type of **file system supported** or mounted OR FORCED TO BE MOUNTED allowed/permitted on externalsd card and can it be modified or changed
If the device supports 128GB, the card format is exFAT.

c) maximum **Practical capacity** supported microSD in the device and can it be forcebly be extended ie. 128gb or more we can force by
partitioning the card to multiple partitions or increasing the size
It's up to 2TB (which hasn't been made yet, as far as I know).

d) **UHS bus speed ** (UHSI UHS II) compatible
Marked on the card.

e) **UHS bus speed class** (u1 10 mbp/s u30 30 mbp/s ) compatible
UHS II is U3.

e) **Video Speed Class** (v10 v30 v60 V90) compatible
See above.

f) **App performance class** (A1) compatible
Meaning what?

g) Maximum sequential read speed compatible (90 Mbps 100Mbps 170Mbps
You'd have to read the specs for the particular card.
250MBps)

h) **minimum/Maximum sequential write** speed compatible
See above.

i) **minimum/ Maximum random read/write speed** compatible
See above.

*is there any restriction in device or android should we need to match externalsd speed performance with internal sd as we have we can use
external sdcard as internal either by swapping/adoptable /linking or it
No, one has nothing to do with the other.
will work in more or less performance to*

b) External memory of HP SHDHC Class 10 16GB (still i want to switch over to high capacity card) of my device through writing 64Mb file /external_sd/ (fat32 partition mounted)(64 MB File)
Copy files from the old card to internal storage or to a PC. Then copy them to the new card.

*- kindly tell me commands for testing it*
Use Androbench.

Jan 9, 2020
Visit site
@Rukbat Thanx buddy nice point to point answer I am grateful to you for your help answer and quick response some more questions to clarify some doubts i m replying and again asking few clarifications

I want purchase a new high capacity (64GB or 128GB) high speed (100Mbps 170Mbps 250 MBps)
your answer That would be a UHS-II card.

As per link of Wikipedia Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_card#Bus for
UHS-II

Specified in version 4.0, further raises the data transfer rate to a theoretical maximum of 156 MB/s (full-duplex) or 312 MB/s (half-duplex) using an additional row of pins (a total of 17 pins for full-size and 16 pins for micro-size cards).
[/B]

LexarUHS-II.jpg

Question> I am confuse will this 17 pins an additional row of pin
a) will be inserted in card slot of my devices
b) will it be detected
c) and if detected will it work on its specified optimum performance and speed

and in same article of wikipedia in compatibility section

and link of Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_card#BUS
also say that
> *"Older host devices generally do not support newer card formats, and even when they might support the bus interface used by the card.."*

Question> I am confuse that my device manufacturer says that my device supports 128GB FAT32 so my device
a) my device slot must be SDXC form factor compliment
b) my device slot is SDHC form factor compliment
c) how to find my device host controller supports UHS1 (104MBP/s)
d) how to find my device host controller supports UHS2 (156Mbp/s to 312MBp/s) bus speed

and link of Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_card#Bus
also say that

> "Use of UHS requires that the host device command the card to drop from 3.3-volt to 1.8-volt operation and select the 4-bit transfer mode."

Question> I am confuse that my device manufacturer says that my device supports 128GB "FAT32" so my device

if my device slot is SDHC form factor compliment then will it work on 3.3volt to 1.8 volt

AS PER YOUR ANSWER TO MY QUESTION

YOUR ANSWER> There's no "optimum compatibility. If your device supports exFAT, it supports exFAT. That's compatibility. Speed has nothing to do with compatibility.

I TESTED MY DEVICE WHETHER IT SUPPORTS EXFAT OR NOT WITH THESE

1. I formatted my 16GB SHDC micro sd card with ExFat but it didnt showed or mounted in Seeting storage of GUI of android lolipop 5.1.1 OS and adb shell mount command to

2 then i tested with following commands of THROUGH ADB SHELL COMMANDS

Code:
grep exFat /proc/filesystems

no response nothing displayed

then i tried

Code:
cat /proc/filesystems

it gave following output :- (no exfat mentioned)

Code:
nodev sysfs
nodev rootfs 
nodev bdev 
nodev proc 
nodev cgroup 
nodev tmpfs 
nodev debugfs 
nodev sockfs 
nodev pipefs 
nodev anon_inodefs 
nodev configfs 
nodev devpts 
ext3 
ext2 
ext4 
nodev ramfs 
vfat 
fuseblk 
nodev fuse 
nodev fusectl 
nodev pstore 
nodev selinuxfs 
nodev mtd_inodefs 
nodev functionfs

Now my question is that is there any commands to FORCE MOUNT the exFat file system through mounting and infusing it boot init.c on an unrooted /rooted phone and will it be safe and secure for not damaging device functionality or OS android lolipop 5.1.1

I m novice in android and lynx command and I have seen following commands but dont know proper way to use them kindly tell the step by step way to use if its safe and may be it be useful for other users to use these commands

strings /system/bin/vold | grep exfat

mount.exfat-fuse [ -d ] [ -n ] [ -o options ] [ -V ] [ -v ]
if not then can we use 128 GB card formatting with FAT32 file system and get optimum performance speed

Jan 9, 2020
Visit site
What is Relevant benchmark values for sdcard performance??

I found benchmarks of micro SD card is want to know what speed value is relevant for system applications booting of android and basic applications like chrome YouTube Facebook WhatsApp and other apps functioning

Andro benchmark and gives values of

Sequential read and write
Random read and write
Random read write qd1 4kb mbps
Random read write qd32 4kb mbps
Random read write qd1 4kb IOPs
Random read write q32 4kb iops

For using my Microsoft card as adaptable swapping storage

Now my question is
1. Android applications read and write randomly or sequentially which values more relevant

2 What s que depth QD is relevant for Booting android system and basic applications qd1 or qd32

3. What android applications work in 4k 8k 512 byte block size on what ground it should be compared

4 what speed reading or writing is more relevant for maing an adoptable swapping storage

5 what value should be compared more relevant qd1 4k mbps or qd1 4k IOPS while considering applications writing or reading speed

6 what RANGES OF VALUES of following benchmarks criteria will be sufficient or beleved excellent for booting and system application

A sequential read 1000mb
B sequential wire 1000mbps
C random read 512 mbps
D random write 512mbps
E random read QD1 4k mbps
F random write QD I 4k mbps
G random read Qd32 4k mbps
H random write Qd32 4k mbps I random read QD1 4k IOPS
J random write QD I 4k IOPS
K random read Qd32 4k IOPS
L random write Qd32 4k IOPS

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I merged your similar threads together. Try to keep the discussion within one thread, rather than creating separate threads for the same issue, thanks.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: What is Relevant benchmark values for sdcard performance??

Andro benchmark and gives values of

Sequential read and write
Random read and write
Random read write qd1 4kb mbps
Random read write qd32 4kb mbps
Random read write qd1 4kb IOPs
Random read write q32 4kb iops

For using my Microsoft card as adaptable swapping storage
Adoptable storage is not portable. You have to choose one or the other.

Now my question is
1. Android applications read and write randomly or sequentially which values more relevant

2 What s que depth QD is relevant for Booting android system and basic applications qd1 or qd32

3. What android applications work in 4k 8k 512 byte block size on what ground it should be compared

4 what speed reading or writing is more relevant for maing an adoptable swapping storage

5 what value should be compared more relevant qd1 4k mbps or qd1 4k IOPS while considering applications writing or reading speed

6 what RANGES OF VALUES of following benchmarks criteria will be sufficient or beleved excellent for booting and system application

A sequential read 1000mb
B sequential wire 1000mbps
C random read 512 mbps
D random write 512mbps
E random read QD1 4k mbps
F random write QD I 4k mbps
G random read Qd32 4k mbps
H random write Qd32 4k mbps I random read QD1 4k IOPS
J random write QD I 4k IOPS
K random read Qd32 4k IOPS
L random write Qd32 4k IOPS
We don't worry about those things - that's for engineers. If you don't know, you don't need to know. All we need to know is "does the phone do 4k (or more) video? If yes, you need a U3 card, if not, the phone itself won't go faster than a U1 card. (Not to be confused with UHS I.)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
As per link of Wikipedia Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_card#Bus for

View attachment 315254

That's an SD card, phones use microSD cards.
and in same article of wikipedia in compatibility section

and link of Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_card#BUS
also say that

Question> I am confuse that my device manufacturer says that my device supports 128GB FAT32
So someone who did the tech writing didn't understand the spec. If it supports 128GB it supports exFAT.
a) my device slot must be SDXC form factor compliment
b) my device slot is SDHC form factor compliment
That's for SD cards, not microSD card. They need microSD-compliant slots. If the phone supports larger than 32GB cards, it's SDXC type-compliant, which is backward-compatible with SDHC type (>2GB - 32GB) cards.

c) how to find my device host controller supports UHS1 (104MBP/s)
d) how to find my device host controller supports UHS2 (156Mbp/s to 312MBp/s) bus speed
I'd say "read the specs", but it sounds as if whoever wrote those specs doesn't understand the industry terms used. However ... a UHS2 card will work in a slot not designed for UHS, it just won't give you the speed it should (312Mbps - not MBps - is theoretical performance. Actual performance of a V30 class card (the fastest card currently made) is high enough to record 8k video, but that's less than 300Mbps).

Question> I am confuse that my device manufacturer says that my device supports 128GB "FAT32" so my device

if my device slot is SDHC form factor compliment then will it work on 3.3volt to 1.8 volt
It's SDXC if it supports 128GB cards.It's microSD form factor compliant, not SD form factor compliant.

You have to understand the words before you can understand what you're reading. Form factor is the size of the card - you can't apply the SD form factor specs to microSD cards.

I TESTED MY DEVICE WHETHER IT SUPPORTS EXFAT OR NOT WITH THESE
128GB means that it supports exFAT. It has to.

1. I formatted my 16GB SHDC micro sd card with ExFat but it didnt showed or mounted in Seeting storage of GUI of android lolipop 5.1.1 OS and adb shell mount command to
Because 16GB requires FAT32, not exFAT.

2 then i tested with following commands of THROUGH ADB SHELL COMMANDS

Code:
grep exFat /proc/filesystems

no response nothing displayed

then i tried

Code:
cat /proc/filesystems

it gave following output :- (no exfat mentioned)
Because the 16GB card formatted as FAT32, not as exFAT. The maximum volume size of a FAT32 format is 32GB, which you can't reach with a 16GB card, so the formatting program formats it to FAT32.

Jan 9, 2020
Visit site
@Rukbat thanx buddy i am obliged and grateful thankful to your for giving your precious time and advice in giving and clarifying my doubts and confusions point to point a lots and lots of thanks

That's an SD card, phones use microSD cards.

i founded many pics and articles for micro sd card UHSII having pins of second and in other forum and site many experts have replied to some other users post that these UHS II type of slots are not yet build in any latest mobile as yet here i found a link of sdcard.org you can check there is photo and clarifications on pins but i m not clarified with it

https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/index.html SDCARD ORG sdcard.org /developers/overview/index.html sd card pins

uhs2.jpg

bus_speed_img2019.png

i have asked to manufacturer by mailing but the different call center executive reply differently they dont know any any clarification someone replied it supports 32 gb some one reply it supports 128gb but not exfat only fat 32 and even some one advised to purchase SDHC card of 64 or 128 GB but the technical specification and manual says 128gb fat32 and my concern is that if i purchase expensive card and it dosnt be detected then it will be useless for me till i purchase some new phone for it

is there any type of difference in slot or host controller can we identify by viewing or through any technical checkup

SDHC /SDXC
SDXC UHS 1 /UHS2

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There are no phones out yet with UHS 2 slots, so your phone doesn't have one. When they start coming out, you'll see it in the specs for whichever phones have them.

And no, you don't need UHS 2 yet, because U3 (or V30) cards are fast enough for anything any phone is going to do. Since the card is backward compatible, though (the top row of pins does the full UHS 1, the old standard), you can put a UHS 2 card in your phone - but it won't work any faster than a UHS 1 card.

Jan 9, 2020
Visit site
@Rukbat Thanx Buddy for confirming that UHS 2 microSD card will be detected and not work with optimum performance on UHS 1 slots but many sites link said that it even works slower than UHS 1 card as it didn't get proper voltage on UHS1 slots. Whatever technicalities may be thanks a lot obliged your efforts and grateful and thankful for you clarifications

Last but not the least again troubling you with some more queries and finalizing the decision

As I know benchmarks are not ACTUAL OR ACCURATE as it vary from device to device mobile phones and many other aspects but still to get an IDEA that which UHS I can match with UHS II and internal memory speed i had googled and founded a Benchmark for MicroSD card (but its for camera coudn't find resource for Android).

To have selected top UHS I MicroSd SDXC Memory cards for making it adoptable storage /link2SD (linking the apps) /Swapping the Internal and external memory but coudn't make it certain and have few queries in the result so i m giving below table and value of benchmark i have founded for 128 GB UHS I card and later on will ask some questions from it

table.jpg

* Yellow Marked Values are Low values as compared to others
* Orange Marked Values are lowest values as compared to others

I want to find from above cards which matches my phones internal memory speed and speed of UHS II cards and give good performance . I want to use my external MicroSd card for Adoptable/Swapping/Link2SD linking apps storage . So i am finding speed card main preference is application speed

Now My questions are:-

1. Which one is out of 4 cards with result are best for performance for adaptable/swapping/Link2Sd
  2. Why MicroSDXC UHSI U30 A2 Class Benchmark Values Have less Speed in Random Writing QD1 and QD32
  3. Is it ok for android MicroSDXC UHSI U30 A2 Class Benchmark Values Have less Speed in Random Writing QD1 and QD32 will it work fine as in many website its remarked commented that A2 speed of Random writing is less as compared to A1 for android
  4. By this bechmarks whats your advice is A1 good or A2 card better for android.
  5. A2 have far good sequential Read and write speed than a2 cards but they are poor IN QD1 QD32 and IOPS output

From Studying above benchmark finally and kindly suggest me what will be good memory card for storage and which value is better for Adoptable/swapping/ Link2SD

Waiting for your precious Expert Advice at the earliest thank you in advance for
your precious advice and time for replying and giving answers

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali