Huawei P20 no cell data with wifi connected

Greenfingers

Mar 24, 2023
Visit site
Hi, my first post, so please be gentle.

I'm having problems connecting my Huawei P20 Pro with the Android Auto MMI box that I just installed in my BMW. The phone is supposed to connect wirelessly to the box, enabling the use of apps on the phone (like Maps) to be displayed on the car's screen. The wireless connection between the two works, but once connected, the internet data shuts off and I get a 'connected to network, but no internet' message. The phone is running EMUI 12 and data roaming is enabled. Mobile data works fine when not connected to wifi. I've tried clearing the cache, enabling wifi+, switching wifi, bluetooth, mobile data, off and on, plus rebooting both units. On a couple of occasions it has worked as it should and I was able to download a map and get a weather forecast, but on the other 50 or so times I tried today, it didn't work.

I would be very grateful for any help.

Greenfingers

Mar 24, 2023
Visit site
Today I read that in order to use Android Auto on a phone with EMUI 12, you need to go via Google Assistant. Having tried that, I don't see how it's possible - is that right?

Greenfingers

Mar 24, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. The screen resolution seems okay with the option ticked for the MMI box to negotiate res with the phone.

That link is interesting, because my Huawei appears to be doing the same as the Xiaomi.

I have tried a Moto G6 phone running EMUI 9 through a USB cable and the resolution is poor and distorted. Also briefly tried another phone running 11, but had similar connection issues; perhaps that could be resolved, but I really wanted a solution for my P20 and it sounds like any Android 12 phone is going to have the same problem.

Why would the manufacturers introduce a backward step like that?

Greenfingers

Mar 24, 2023
Visit site
Oh, I hadn't thought of that!

Yes, maybe it's something to do with spygate, although it's a bit weird that the phone came preloaded with Android Auto, which itself it basically a load of Google apps.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Possible right around the p20 that started happening if I remember correctly so possible it had some Google services but not 100 percent.

Greenfingers

Mar 24, 2023
Visit site
No, that can't be right - my P20 came with Play Store preloaded and I'm using Google maps, Gmail and so on.

So the conflict when connecting via wifi that prevents the use of mobile data (even when it is activated) is an Android 12 thing? Surely this must have come up millions of times with people using Android 12 phones and Android Auto? I just don't get it.

NerdyGreenWitch

Mar 27, 2023
Visit site
If you are in the US, Google and all the other tech companies are forbidden to do business with Huawei because of spygate. That’s why it runs its own OS rather than regular Android.