I blocked OS updates since Android 9... need advice on getting back up to date

charles777

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

My Note 10 plus always worked like a charm... great battery life etc. I was wary of Android 10... potential bugs and a hit to my battery life (don't fix what isn't broken etc..) and didn't feel that the benefits or features offered by Android 10 were worth the risk. I downloaded Package Disabler Pro and blocked all updates including Security Updates. Currently on Android 9 / One UI 1.5 / Security Patch Nov 2019. My phone still works like a charm... no bugs and still get amazing battery life.
I use a two factor authorization app for work that's starting to give me grief about being on Android 9. I might have to finally unblock updates and I wanted to know what to expect. Will it first update to Android 10 and then give me successive security / software patches one after the other, or will it just download Android 10 with a sort of cumulative patch (or just the latest patch) ? Any chance something will screw up or will it be smart enough to download the required updates in the correct order? Thanks for any input :)

GDany

Feb 4, 2018
Visit site
I did the same as you, but only because I was afraid of bugs preventing me to use the Android Auto app/feature. I only disagree that the battery life is good on Note 10+.
About the updates, I can only say that you will receive them in the exact order they where published, one after the other. So, the update process will take some time. I would suggest to do this during the weekend.
I do not know if this is the right decision, I mean to update, and I would be also interested to know if there are still bugs in Android 10. I still hear, unfortunately, about different bugs not yet corrected.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if it's the same for all phones but on Verizon the updates come one at a time and each install individually.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Would it not be enough to do a factory reset and then let it run updates on it's own when you start fresh

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Would it not be enough to do a factory reset and then let it run updates on it's own when you start fresh

This should be the easiest way to go. I can't recall how many hoops are needed to jump through to stop OTA updates, but a reset should revert everything back to out of the box.

charles777

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the advice about resetting... it is probably the safest way to go but the thought of putting everything back to the way it was... all my banking apps, social media, the default apps, home screen setup... very discouraging :)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the advice about resetting... it is probably the safest way to go but the thought of putting everything back to the way it was... all my banking apps, social media, the default apps, home screen setup... very discouraging :)
Hi, once you remove the block from package disabler and manually check for software updates it will start with the ones you miss until it gets the current version.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

Do a backup first, it takes a good bit of the hassle out of setting it up again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174