I Don't Understand Sync

abredt

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I am trying to understand sync.

I have not connected my phone to my PC - mainly because I don't know what sync is going to do.
I have set up a google account and when I tap email, I get my yahoo mail account. On my PC, I have Roadrunner email - POP3 type email using Windows Live Mail on Windows 7. I don't want to change any of this.

I want to put photos, music, and videos on my phone from my PC.

Thanks, cb

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
You don't need HTC Sync to put photos, music and video on your phone. HTC Sync is there to sync Calendar and Contacts with Outlook on a PC. But, many have found the Google Calendar sync for Outlook works better and importing your contacts into Gmail also works well.

To Put music and video on your phone, just plug it into the USB and select Disk Drive mode. You will see two new "hard drives" pop up under My Computer. One will be the SD Card and the other will be the EMCC internal Memory. Just create folders and copy and paste from your PC.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: abredt

dually

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
There is no /emmc on the dinc2, only /sdcard.
When you plug in the usb you should see one drive mounted on your computer.
If you have a lot of data that you want to move, it may be faster to turn the phone off, remove the sd card, and plug it into a usb-microsd card reader.

A way to wirelessly copy data to and from your phone is by running the airdroid app. This isn't very fast, but if you only have a few small files to move it is quick and easy.

A much faster way to wirelessly copy data to and from your phone is with samba share. Enable samba share on your computer, then using es file explorer app on your phone, select "lan" from the drop down menu on the top left that usually is set to "local", search (for server), and then when you connect to your computer you can browse right into the file system on your computer. Incidentally you can even use this method to stream movies from the hard drive on your computer simply by browsing to them with es file explorer on your phone.

Not having to sync and/or use proprietary syncing software is one of the main reasons why we use a grown up operating system like Android instead of an Apple toy. It may feel a little cumbersome at first, but the ability to drag and drop copy using standard connectivity protocols is far more powerful and flexible in the long run.

gatorboi352

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
The best way to move files to and from your PC and INC2 is an app called WiFi File Explorer. This app is legit and the real deal. I transfer whole music albums in seconds via wifi no cable needed. Best app i've ever purchased. It "syncs" up effortlessly with my home wifi connection no fuss no foul and works every time.

gatorboi352

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
"Not having to sync and/or use proprietary syncing software is one of the main reasons why we use a grown up operating system like Android instead of an Apple toy."

Sounds like a guy pretty butt hurt over his old Apple products. Or even worse, someone who has never used an iOS device in his life.

STFU already or GTFO

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
STFU already or GTFO

Shut up or get out??? He's in an Android forum, it stands to reason he'd be pro-android and one could expect pro-android comments.

As for someone's familiarity with iOS, I used to have an iPhone (still do, just unactivated) and, by far, the worst aspect of it was the required use of iTunes to manage anything on the phone beside photos. iTunes, at least on Windows, is a wholly inappropriate and cumbersome program for managing a phone, and definitely one of the key reasons I switched to Android.