I have some questions after updating from Android 9 to 10 on my Galaxy S 10..

fthis f

Jul 9, 2017
Visit site
I had my S10 for about three weeks on it's original preinstalled OS trying to familiarize myself with it until I finally updated to IUI 2 and Android 10 (still not on the latest update). I've noticed it's a little snappier, or maybe it's just the animations but overall I see little difference that affects my day to day use of the phone. There are some things I would like to ask about.

Firstly, I have taken to using gestures instead of the navigation bar since before the update; now I've noticed when I'm within some apps that occupy the whole screen, mostly games, using the gestures to go back within that game or app will also cause the top status bar to slide down and present itself each time. It's annoying/distracting, gets in the way of the controls and I can't imagine going through this animation each time I swipe back helps with battery saving. Hopefully there is a way to turn this off.

Secondly, I use swiftkey keyboard and since the update, there has been a slight change in the layout. In the past, the whole keyboard would occupy a good part of the bottom half of the screen with the spacebar right at the bottom portion where I like it, but now there is an additional bar below the keyboard which takes up space and doesn't seem to do much except house an arrow that causes the keyboard to slide down and disappear when pressed. I think there was also an option to switch keyboards but I turned that off hoping the bar would disappear. It takes up the whole bottom row of the display where the search button and the keyboard used to be and it also affects the size of the keys having to fit them in a smaller space. I've checked within the app, I can't seem to find anything that's connected to this bar so I'm wondering if this might be OS related and if there is a way to get rid of it.

There was a third question I had but I forgot...

fthis f

Jul 9, 2017
Visit site
Which gesture your using?

Toggle show button to hide keyboard View attachment 321458View attachment 321459

THANKS! I didn't realize the option to get rid of that annoying bar below the keyboard would be among the gestures options.

I'm using the swipe from bottom without the hints. The top bar still pops down whenever I use the gestures to go back within some apps, it's not as big an annoyance as the thing with the keyboard.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
THANKS! I didn't realize the option to get rid of that annoying bar below the keyboard would be among the gestures options.

I'm using the swipe from bottom without the hints. The top bar still pops down whenever I use the gestures to go back within some apps, it's not as big an annoyance as the thing with the keyboard.
Ok , your using Samsung gestures with swipes from bottom, you can go one more menu there and use Google swipe to sides gesture see if it works better but won't work with 3rd party launcher at the moment. Yeah that keyboard toggle is there and I have it off to get rid of the space at the bottom. Your welcome!

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I believe it won't matter which options you use for gestures, the nav bar is going to appear each time. If you haven't noticed you have to do the gesture twice, or at least with full screen gestures, before it takes. I guess it's an accidental touch safety of sorts. So you're not navigating when you don't intend to. The nav bar seems to be an indicator that you've entered navigation mode and your next gesture will be taken as a command. I haven't heard, well seen, too many complaints about the nav bar showing up, they've mostly been about having to each gesture twice. You don't have to do it twice if say you're going back two or three pages, just initially.