I love HTC , but still have not bought One (M8) ...because of the camera

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I have read this blog before.
Here is another with people Samsung Galaxy S5 camera shootout versus HTC One M8, iPhone 5S - CNET

All these camera reviews are not really helpful. People love to read them when new phones are out, but once a phone is in the hands of users, it is better just to look at the camera threads. The reviewers have dubious skills, and generally have not spent enough time with the cameras to get the best out of each of them. For some phones that is an advantage- say the iPhone - has a simple interface and good general metering that allows a user to become proficient quickly. The HTC phones are at more of a disadvantage because they are further from the norm and the reviewers have the preconceived idea that it doesn't measure up and therefore don't realize they are not getting the results that they should. You have to be more active in metering your shots, using the spot meter and expousure lock because the metering is much more flexible. This can result in horrible shots if you aren't paying attention and that is why you see blow outs and dull shots from people who haven't learned the camera. There are many posts in M7 and M8 threads where people remark about how the more they use the HTC camera the more impressed they are- there is a more technique involved, but more reward.

When you look at the camera threads, you should be looking for the users that are good photographers. The good photographers and good photographs show what the camera is capable of. Any camera can take bad pictures in the wrong hands.

Bottom line on ultrapixel vs. multi-mega pixel cameras is this - the ultra pixel camera will be more responsive (fast shutter, more FPS), take less memory to store the photos, perform better indoors, moderate to low light.

The multi-mega pixel cameras will take better shots in good to bright light, provide the opportunity to crop. However, the files take more memory and the phones can't perform in low light without blur or heavy smudging noise reduction (despite what the flawed reviews seem to show).

The M8 (and M7) are decent cameras out of the box, but really start to sing when you get some experience and feel for them. If you have photographic aptitude, you can get shots that you just can't get with other phone cameras. Comparing the s5 and M8 is like comparing '67 camaro ss to a '67 lotus elan. Believe me, the HTC camera has definite strengths and many charms, or else I (and many other happy HTC camera owners) wouldn't be using one.

Last edited:

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I have read this blog before.
Here is another with people Samsung Galaxy S5 camera shootout versus HTC One M8, iPhone 5S - CNET

Lol, and I saw this one, based on the reviews that you've been reading, why are you on the fence about the HTC M8? If I were reading the reviews and I was convinced that that reviewers are fair and impartial, then there's no way I'd choose the M8, especially if i wanted a top notch cell phone camera. Like I said before, no one phone will be the perfect phone. Samsung would be perfect if touch wiz didn't feel cartoonist and it wasn't plastic. IPhone would be perfect if it didn't have a tiny screen and allowed users to customize. The M8 would be perfect if it had a better camera! There will NEVER be a perfect phone because what's perfect for you will not ever be perfect for me. That's the challenge that manufacturers must deal with! So, what will you do? I'm interested to know!

Posted via Android Central App

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Actually, yes, I am going to take your opinion on this. I'm currently on the EVO LTE and have taken quite a few good shots with it. I definitely don't remember hearing complaint after complaint regarding its camera capability when it came out.

But I am ready for an upgrade and I am seriously considering the One M8, but the camera uproar caused me to briefly consider jumping ship to Samsung. I really don't think that will be necessary now as I think the M8 camera gripes may be overblown.

They are over blown, but I'm at the point where I really think HTC gets it. The One is sensitive to light and once you hit the learning curve you will be happier with it than your EVO! I promise!

coronaboy10

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Many many of you have. I did, I used the M8 for two days and couldn't believe the pos camera. I truly can't believe why they cheaped out with such a bad camera. The camera and the silly looking length made me dump the m8. Never had a phone that hung out of my back pocket until the m8. It just looks silly.

It would probably take you longer than that to learn to use the camera effectively. Not surprising you don't really like it. You carry your phone in your back pocket???? Wow.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
It would probably take you longer than that to learn to use the camera effectively. Not surprising you don't really like it. You carry your phone in your back pocket???? Wow.

Definitely should be using the cheapo Sammy if you're sitting down on your phone... What an........! Lol!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyblack