Ice Cream Sandwhich On Sprint Optimus S?

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Ice Cream Sandwhich On Sprint Optimus S ???

Good luck building that... Not saying its impossible BUT its made for an ARM7 and this is an ARM6; not even to mention the other hardware issues.... :confused:

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Good luck building that... Not saying its impossible BUT its made for an ARM7 and this is an ARM6; not even to mention the other hardware issues.... :confused:

Google's official stance is that any device that is capable of running Gingerbread is also capable of running ICS.

ICS can be compiled for ARMv6 but using GB proprietary libraries on ICS may prove to be difficult if not impossible. That's not to say I won't try though...

Reactions: VW Maverick

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Have you seen the specs on ICS? You would need a monster machine to compile it.

From Google Android Building group:
Here are some preliminary numbers. Final numbers will probably be a
bit different, but those should be a reasonable first-order
approximation. Of course, your mileage may vary.

-6GB of download.
-25GB disk space to do a single build.
-80GB disk space to build all AOSP configs at the same time.
-16GB RAM recommended, more preferred, anything less will measurably
benefit from using an SSD.
-5+ hours of CPU time for a single build, 25+ minutes of wall time, as
measured on my workstation (dual-E5620 i.e. 2x quad-core 2.4GHz HT,
with 24GB of RAM, no SSD),

Naturally, if you plan to work on multiple branches (e.g. ICS release,
ICS development branch and AOSP master branch), you need to plan for
disk space accordingly, and you could easily end up using 250+GB.

pergerson6

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure some of that can be cut down, but 250gb? That's insane! My laptop only has 250gb lol.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
There are a few similar threads like this going.
Everyone is looking forward to one of our amazing developers whipping up a port of ICS to the Optimus S.
Just have to be patient.

Mav. :cool:

Sent from the future on my Android Optimus S

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

I've been able to compile ICS for maguro using a 3.2ghz system with 2gb ram and using 80gigs of hdd space. The first few attempts gave me errors with noprogaurd classes, which in my experience building from IHO are a result of running out of memory. So I recommend a reboot or other memory clearing trick before you attempt to build, unless you have a 16gb ram system. Another trick is to build the packages individually before attempting a complete build.

lgos

May 18, 2011
Visit site

Im going to attempt building. Would it be possible to pull built applications from ICS to have them work on our little phones?

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

Im going to attempt building. Would it be possible to pull built applications from ICS to have them work on our little phones?

I'm wondering the same, how about the new keyboard (LatinIME.apk) to work on Optimus or other phones?

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site

I'm wondering the same, how about the new keyboard (LatinIME.apk) to work on Optimus or other phones?

Absolutely not. All of the ICS apps will require the ICS system framework.

Reactions: JerryScript

mikebontoft

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Personally I think the lack of a front facing camera would make parts of ICS useless just from what I've seen. And the lack of flash (unless there's something I don't know about it)

still would be great to have though.

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

Absolutely not. All of the ICS apps will require the ICS system framework.

So I guess the gingerbread keyboard .apk that came out a while back and ran on Froyo was a special case? Froyo & GB's frameworks were more similar than GB & ICS perhaps?

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Here's one example of why you won't be seeing the ICS keyboard ported to anything non-ICS:

'As for copy/paste functionality, Google has made it "consistent across all of Android," meaning there's no more guesswork as to which apps will allow for copy/paste, or how that functionality will compare to other apps (ahem - SMS app). Users can also highlight and drag words or bits of text to reposition them.'
Ice Cream Sandwich Feature Closer Look - New Keyboard, Inline Spell Check, And More Consistent Copy/Paste

For the copypaste feature to be consistent across all apps implies a system function, rather than an app (ie keyboard) based solution.

Add to that the inherent nature of ICS, which is a merging of two trees, and you will see that very few if any portions of ICS will be back-portable to Gingerbread. You will I'm sure find alternative apps very soon that will replicate ICS functionality and style, but that's as close as you'll get till you have ICS booted up and running.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeneralCaveman216