Icon badges broken after Android 11 update. (Nova w/TeslaUnread)

Roth1197

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
So I've been using Nova Launcher and TeslaUnread for my last 3 or 4 phones... It just keeps transferring over whenever I migrate to my new phone and I never changed it. It has done everything I needed it to do, give me the stupid Unread Messages app icon badges counter number thing. I originally got Nova Launcher when I got my Google Nexus 6 which had no native badges/counters.

So now that my Galaxy S10e just updated to A11, some of the badges don't show up anymore. Mainly the Google Messages (text messages) one.

Is Nova Launcher outdated now? What do people use?

** My biggest issue with just using the Nova Launcher badge counter, the badge goes away when you go into the app (but the item is still Unread). Example: I have an unread text/conversation in Messages that I don't want to read yet. I open Messages to look at a different conversation and don't go into the conversation with the new message at all, so I don't touch that conversation. When I exit Messages, the badge is gone and I have no way of knowing there is still an Unread text in there. TeslaUnread took care of that, but now on A11 TeslaUnread is totally f'd. I cleared it's cache and now it shows I have 3 unread texts when in fact I have zero LOL!

debsawyer

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
I just use Samsung UI. I love Nova Launcher, but says Samsung added some of the tweets that they have I stuck to UI.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Nova is in beta for a replacement based on launcher 3. The nova you have is based on launcher 2 which is outdated. Nova7 as it is called, has its own notifications built in so Tesla unread will not be needed.

You can join their discord and try the new version of nova. It really is very good and seems quite stable with OneUI 3.0 on my S10+and also on my Pixel 4a 5G

https://discord.gg/novalauncher

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
As Kizzy said there's a new Nova7 in the making. Tesla will be no longer supported so, unfortunately, you need to get used to this.

About your biggest issue. Badges take information from the notifications shade and they disappear when there's no longer an icon in your status bar. Different apps work in different ways, some will remove the notification icon as soon as you open it and others will keep it until you open the specific chat that pushed it. There's not much you can do about this.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Roth1197

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
I just use Samsung UI. I love Nova Launcher, but says Samsung added some of the tweets that they have I stuck to UI.

In the Samsung One UI 3.0 whatever the newest one is called... Does it clear the badge counter when you go into the app (but don't go into the specific conversation)? So,
Person A sends me a text.
I unlock my phone and open (Google) Messages.
I don't open the conversation with the Unread text, I open a different conversation. Send someone else a text, whatever.
but I never open that Unread conversation.
When I close Messages and go back home, will the (1) new message badge still be there? Or will it get cleared?

(I don't know how else to ask this in fewer words! LOL!)

jmsnyc

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I've been using the built in Nova badge count but I can't find away to control specific apps. I want to disable counts on Google Chrome.

When I switch back to TeslaUnread which has this feature (on/off by app) Google Messages is not supported which I would like on

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've been using the built in Nova badge count but I can't find away to control specific apps. I want to disable counts on Google Chrome.

When I switch back to TeslaUnread which has this feature (on/off by app) Google Messages is not supported which I would like on
Tesla is no longer supported , as Nova has its own notification badge count

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali