If you are rooted, do the clockworkmod recovery!

sgtmack

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I had issues with removing the lag fix from my phone. I had just done a nandroid backup with clockwork. So instead of a brick, I did a restore and my phone still works. Several others had problems, and now have try to restore to stock. Then download all their apps, re root, change the icons and wallpapers, and all that.

Do it now. Before you change any thing else. You may never need it, but it doesn't take much to keep you phone from starting. It's free insurance. It's better to have it and not need it, etc..

Do a backup. The phone you save may be your own.

Edit. Sorry for the title. I can't read any better than I type.

Last edited:
Reactions: SscoootzZ

yankdez

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
noob to rooting, but does nandroid backup everything except apps and app settings? is that why people often use titanium backup along with nandroid?

jonfoskette

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
once you install the lagfix why would you remove it?? im seeing a lot of people brick there phones trying to remove it. wouldnt it be better to just keep it on?

madmike283

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure I can follow the instructions on how to do this, but I'm confused on the big picture. What exactly is this and what does it do for me? Sorry, but I'm brand new to all of this.

sgtmack

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Nandroid backs up your system files. If you try to change something important, and it doesn't work, you can go back to where you were.Kind of like a system restore point in Windows. Which is why we recommend a nandroid backup before flashing a new kernel. If it doesn't work, you can restore your pone to where it was.
If you are rooted, you can change settings on your phone which were not intended to be randomly changed. The potential for killing the phone is very real. Even by accident. So a backup is a very good idea, even if you don't plan to change Roms or kernels.

As for the lag fix, other than Quadrant scores, I didn't notice much of a difference in the phone, and I lost a lot of memory. Also, the same folks who brought us the Clockwork recovery have hinted at a real fix for the lag issue, rather than the workaround we have now. And I didn't want it to interfere with installing Roms when they come out.:)

TripSixes

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure I can follow the instructions on how to do this, but I'm confused on the big picture. What exactly is this and what does it do for me? Sorry, but I'm brand new to all of this.

I agree.. the "big picture" is the thing I'm missing in reading all of these posts... each post tends to have great procedures for a very small part of the overall process.... yet, I don't really know what they're doing, and whether I truly want to do that to my phone...

Once we get all this stuff ironed out, we really need to spend some time on a single Sticky that has each of the "options" laid out with what they do, why they do it, pros/cons, how to perform them, etc..

I'd love to work on it... but, kinda hard to write the 'big picture' before I understand it...

jonfoskette

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
so does clockwork safely remove lagfix? if so where can i get it? im not sure if it did anything but my wife and i both got a fascinate yesterday she didnt do anything and i rooted and put lag fix we both used it equally today and after 13 hours off the charger shes at less than 50% and im at 70%

sgtmack

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Clockwork allows you to make a backup of your phones software, so if you make any changes, and they don't work, you can go back to where you were. Whenever you make changes to your phone you run the risk of something not working. A simple typing error when entering a command can have weird results. With Clockwork and a nandroid backup, most of the time you can recover from any errors. Usually.

As for battery life, I rooted mine as soon as I got it, so I don't know how it affected battery life.

SteveC

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
I rooted, sucessfully, fixed the lag, successfully, flashed Clockwork Mod successfully, tried a ROM backup with ROM Manager and have a phone stuck on the recovery screen when my backup was aborted.

robocknjo1

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I rooted, sucessfully, fixed the lag, successfully, flashed Clockwork Mod successfully, tried a ROM backup with ROM Manager and have a phone stuck on the recovery screen when my backup was aborted.

I don't think you are supposed to do the back up from the ROM manager. When you boot into CWM there is an option for backing up and restoring. That is the way I've done it and I had no problems.
You may have to go back to stock but I'm not really sure if it will help :S

SteveC

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
Problem is the phone is stuck in the recovery screen. I'd have no problem going back to stock to start over again. Rooting and lag fix didn't take 5 minutes. I knew I'd maybe screwed up soon as I did it, but too late is too late. I'd hoped that I could use the factory data reset option in recovery, but nothing. There seems like there should be a relatively simple way to get the phone rebooted, but haven't found it yet.

SteveC

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
I thouight it was, but it took me awhile to realize I needed to use the Home key to select from the recovery screen. Figuring that one out was probably tougher than it should have been I suppose. However the reboot system now option still cycles through the boot up cycle and gets stuck on the last verizion screen. I finally decided to do a factory reset and just start over. Well, now when it boots into the unlock screen, and youi swipe to unlock there are multiple force closes and the phone is still not useable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
delgerjargal