In JB, ringtone & notifications linked?

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Just wondering if the ringtone volume & notification volume are linked together in JB just as they are by default in ICS.

Thank you.

a2usumy6.jpg

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

MHBlink8

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I use Light Flow and it allows you to increase the volume of notifications it manages. I find this to be great because you can also program a Sleep Mode schedule so no notifications go off while you're sleeping.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Thanks. I've been using ICS Enhanced Ringer Control. Just bummed that the two are still linked in JB. O well...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

brianr8011

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Most of the custom ROMS I've tried have these split back out the way they should be. I don't know why Google ever combined them in the first place.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Now I can't wait for JB on the S3...I silence my ringtone, and still get the bejesus scared out of me at night when an email comes in and I forget to turn down the notifications. Oh, never mind, they were linked on the Gnex all along...Trust me, you don't want them delinked.

brianr8011

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Now I can't wait for JB on the S3...I silence my ringtone, and still get the bejesus scared out of me at night when an email comes in and I forget to turn down the notifications. Oh, never mind, they were linked on the Gnex all along...Trust me, you don't want them delinked.

I see your point, but I have a counter one-
I work in IT and am frequently on call. When a nightly job fails, a text alert is sent out that I need to hear so I can get up and deal with it. On nights when I am not on call, I turn down the volume for just my text alerts so that they don't wake me. Since my cell phone is my only phone, I leave the ringer on at all times.

With the volumes combined, I cannot do this without a third party app. I think it's better to give us the choice than to take away functionality that we've always had.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
And, yet, Google's own site states that you can control the two independently now:
Notification volume | You can now control the volume for notifications separately from your phone's main volume. | Press the volume button on the side of your phone, then touch the Settings icon . Drag slider to change the volume for notifications.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I work in IT and am frequently on call. When a nightly job fails, a text alert is sent out that I need to hear so I can get up and deal with it. On nights when I am not on call, I turn down the volume for just my text alerts so that they don't wake me. Since my cell phone is my only phone, I leave the ringer on at all times.

With the volumes combined, I cannot do this without a third party app. I think it's better to give us the choice than to take away functionality that we've always had.

Same here, but I use tasker. I have a profile that turns off notifications at night but leaves the ringer on.

brianr8011

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
And, yet, Google's own site states that you can control the two independently now:
Notification volume | You can now control the volume for notifications separately from your phone's main volume. | Press the volume button on the side of your phone, then touch the Settings icon . Drag slider to change the volume for notifications.

Hmm, interesting. The first JB leak I put on my phone didn't allow this. It was very annoying.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

The S3 is the first phone I've owned that doesn't have the ringer/notification linked, or when rooted and running older versions of Android, having a way TO link them. I see your point, and I'm on call all the time too. We have a pager though. While a pager is redundant with the capabilities of a good smartphone, I can turn down my ringer. Choice would be great though.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm using the Audio Control app, which provides the ability to split the Notification and Ringer controls, plus includes Profiles and Scheduling capabilities all in one smooth package.

As icing on the cake, it includes a variety of widgets. I use the 1x4 text widget and set it up with Daytime, Nighttime and Silence profiles. I've been using it for about a month on my VZN GN, with no issues.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniellewc