Intermittent, significant power drain after charge

Tronman100

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi there,

I've doing some searching on the forms regarding power drain issues, but haven't seen anything quite resembling the issue I've been having.

Normally, when I remove my S3 from charge, I see a nice linear power drain. I can often get 2.5 days on a single charge and only be down to about 40%. There will be some increased drain based on my usage (perfectly normal), but I wouldn't consider myself a 'heavy user'.

Other times, when I remove it from charge, I see a rapid power drain of about 40% (sometimes up to 70 or 80%) within minutes of taking the phone off charge (without my even using it). Again, without my using it, the rapid drain will taper off, and go back to a sane, linear drain (say, around 60%).

Sometimes if I restart the device during the rapid drain, when the phone restarts the battery level will be much lower than originally reported. (E.g. restart the phone at 85%, and see 45% after restart).

I'd say when I take the phone off charge, I have between a 30-50% of experiencing the rapid drain issue. I haven't been able to determine any factors which affect it (e.g. Wifi Usage, Signal Strength. I rarely use GPS or Bluetooth). It happens with Wifi both on and off, and with strong signal strength. Usually the battery usage will say the biggest battery user is "Screen" (odd, since the screen is usually off when it's draining), "Device Idle", "Cell Standby" or "Android OS". Not overly informative.

I called Samsung support (the phone is about 10 months old, so I have about 2 months left on warranty), but their only suggestion was to do backup + hard reset. I'd be more interested in seeing if I could figure the root cause of the drain first before taking any action. I have tried clearing the cache partition from the recovery menu (a suggestion I found elsewhere) to no avail.

I posted some screen shots you might find useful. One is of a "good" drain pattern, and one of a "bad" drain pattern (typical of what I see). Finally, one showing the sudden drop on restart. If you have any advice (analysis apps that might help, device settings, etc), I'd be interesting it in hearing it. Thanks!

Attachments

• BadBattery1.png
    BadBattery1.png
    62.1 KB · Views: 7
  • GoodBattery2.png
    GoodBattery2.png
    74.2 KB · Views: 7
  • BadBattery_Restart.png
    BadBattery_Restart.png
    59.5 KB · Views: 7

Trending Posts

Forum statistics