Is there an easy way for a ludite newb to move apps to an SD card in a moto pure?

A

AC Question

I have a moto-x pure that I got when they first came out and I love it.
But...I got the 16 gig version and it is constantly filling up. Android is using 6.5 gigs!

I teach dance, so I use my phone to video my students and myself. At best I have a gig or two when I move all my pics/vids to my laptop ...or the 32 gig drive that I bought! I've put my music on the SD, but I can't seem to figure out what else I can move.

I want to keep my 5+ gigs of apps, but I can't figure out how to move them to the SD card.

I have just discovered that there is a thing calling "rooting" and that would enable me to move my apps -but the reading I've done makes it sound complicated and I don't want to turn my phone into a paper weight.

Am I missing something, or is there an easy* way to move my apps to the SD card?

*Easy for me; the ludite newb.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. You can move apps to the SD Card with rooting or without it - but you don't save much, if any, space. (Apps are moved in pieces. The size of the pieces depends on the app, and a link is left in internal storage pointing to the moved piece. So if the piece is smaller than the pointer, you've wasted some space.)

2. Adoptable storage is okay in some phones, but you can't put the card into your computer - it becomes part of the phone, and has to stay with it. (You also can't save pictures or videos to the card - they save where they save.)

3. Put Google Drive on your phone and connect to it. You can save anything to it, up to the limit of your Drive space. If you need more, use MEGA. You get 50GB for free.