Little Known Lyrics to White Christmas

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
One of the most popular Christmas song is the Irving Berlin's classic "White Christmas".
Most people know it starts off with "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas" but did you know there are intro lyrics that set and explain why the person is dreaming of a white Christmas?
Here it is:
"The sun is shining, the grass is green
The orange and palm trees sway
There's never been such a day
In Beverly Hills, L.A
But it's December the twenty-fourth
And I am longing to be up North.

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
Just like the ones I used to know...."

And now you know the rest of the story.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
We were discussing this earlier why is White Christmas so popular? Two-thirds of the world does not have a white Christmas. Was it due to the song, did people back in the 1800s look forward to a white Christmas? Pretty sure there was no White Christmas in Bethlehem; 2K years ago. I say it was due to Bing Crosby. But what do I know?

I will say that thanks to Mother Nature, we sure had a white Christmas around here.....
A photo from my just finished walk....stopped to talk to my neighbor so took a quick shot of his driveway....
wLwcU01.jpg

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
We were discussing this earlier why is White Christmas so popular? Two-thirds of the world does not have a white Christmas. Was it due to the song, did people back in the 1800s look forward to a white Christmas? Pretty sure there was no White Christmas in Bethlehem; 2K years ago. I say it was due to Bing Crosby. But what do I know?

I will say that thanks to Mother Nature, we sure had a white Christmas around here.....
A photo from my just finished walk....stopped to talk to my neighbor so took a quick shot of his driveway....
wLwcU01.jpg
Wow. Nice for Christmas day. Here in Missouri Christmas Eve the temperature was 72F and today it is 51F. Not exactly conducive for that Christmassy weather feeling.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Wow. Nice for Christmas day. Here in Missouri Christmas Eve the temperature was 72F and today it is 51F. Not exactly conducive for that Christmassy weather feeling.

Not unusual where I live, can't remember not having a white Christmas, since I moved to ID seven years go. However, living at over 6000 feet makes for some big snowfalls...I sort of miss the nice brown/red Christmas days I had when I lived in SE Utah.

"Where the treetops glisten
And children listen
To hear sleigh bells ON A SLEIGH STUCK in the snow"

This was a few years ago where the "tree tops sure did glisten."
1n0uu03.jpg

And I may not even go out today, we have blizzard warnings with 45 mph gusts and even my Malamutes are hanging around inside.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Not unusual where I live, can't remember not having a white Christmas, since I moved to ID seven years go. However, living at over 6000 feet makes for some big snowfalls...I sort of miss the nice brown/red Christmas days I had when I lived in SE Utah.

"Where the treetops glisten
And children listen
To hear sleigh bells ON A SLEIGH STUCK in the snow"

This was a few years ago where the "tree tops sure did glisten."
1n0uu03.jpg

And I may not even go out today, we have blizzard warnings with 45 mph gusts and even my Malamutes are hanging around inside.
When I first moved to upstate NY (Albany area) the first snow we had was on Thanksgiving, over 18 inches in less than a couple of hours. I was thrilled. Then as the days went by more snow. I was getting less thrilled. The first 18 inches was more snow in one day than we usually gett for the whole winter in Missouri.
I recall the day I left NY for Florida on the last day of April there was still 22 inches of snow in my yard. I couldn't wait for the warmth, the palm trees, and the beaches of the Sunshine state. Snow get thee behind me!!!

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I know what you mean. Snow in Dec-Mar 15 is ok with me. After Mar 15 it should be illegal in the northern hemisphere (or more like where ever I'm residing). Middle of March is when I get anxious to head out into the high mountains and do some serious camping.

I spent almost a year in Watkins Glen recovering and yes, that area can get some big snow falls. Grew up in Detroit. But after college spent most of my time in SE Asia or other countries where snow was a stranger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali