Location services is off - Nexus 7

Bokehman

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I know quite a few people have reported Location services issues on their phones. I've been having issues on my Nexus 7 with 4.2.2.

About a week ago I kept getting a message that said "Unfortunately, Google Play has stopped" messages. Then I noticed my Google Now always has a "Location services is off" panel. All the location services settings are ON. I should add I let my device update all the apps automatically, and I hadn't done any additional installations or mods (my device is not rooted). After checking some of the forums I tried some of the possible fixes ...

- Deleted the cache of the Google Play store
- Downloaded and installed Google Play 4.1.10 (tablet was still running 4.1.6)
- Factory restored the tablet. No resolution of problem.
- Reinstalled Google Play 4.1.10 and left it open for 5 minutes. No resolution of problem.

I had incorrectly assumed that after the factory restore my tablet would be completely restored by the Google servers. I'm a Mac user so I guess I'm pretty used the the backup/restore function in iTunes. It took an afternoon to get things back up to speed. The Play store didn't restore all my apps. Not sure what happened there. I will need to find a proper back up solution. Anyhow, I'm getting off-topic here ...

The map and navigation apps seems to work fine. Not sure if they need to use the location services or not. The Weather Network app (Canada) cannot find my location. Weather 1 works fine.

Has anyone else figured out this problem with Location services? I believe I've tried all the fixes but nothing has worked and I REALLY don't want to do another factory restore.

Thanks in advance.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
What type of location issues are you having? Services not finding location? After all that it looks like the Play Store force closing is no longer happening?

Check for system updates and see if that helps. Otherwise, you can also try man apps that are aimed at improving location on devices.
Give this app a try to test gps on the device: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...d=com.chartcross.gpstest&hl=en&token=l3YDDyxa

Bokehman

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
It looks like the problem is just with Google Now. Before, whenever I would be away from the house I would get the 'local' cards (ie. restaurants, places of interest, etc ...). Now it's just that "Location services is off" card (even though all the buttons are on). OS is at 4.3. I ran the GPS app you suggested and I regularly get 10-12 satellites.