Messages notification issue

ccps

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I seem to be missing a setting under messages that I was also missing with my 5. I have a coworker with a new 6pro that under messages setting has a completely different set of options. so for me I don't get any audible notifications for a lot of contacts. I am missing the setting for "incomming messages" for notifications. It does nto exist. Instead I have this slider for on or off with the title "All"Default settings" notifications. when on I have a list of people I have texted that have options:
show notifications on
may ring or vibrate based on phone settings
pop on screen
this is a conversation
sound (and this is the problem) is set to none
vibration (is set to on)
and other settings.

I don't want to have to set every person individually. I am missing something somewhere. I want one default for everyone. every post I go to says open sms go to the three dots go to settings go to notifications then go to incomming messages and set the sound. I don't have the option for incomming messages for some reasaon on this phone of my Pixel 5. I presume when I transfered my data and settings over whatever I screwed up there came with it. HELP:)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You're not on Do Not Disturb, right?

Can you show us a screenshot of the Settings>Apps>Messages>Notifications​ menu?

ccps

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I do not have "do not disturb" on. I get other notifications from email and other random texts. just not consistant.

fwn

Oct 29, 2018
Visit site
Similar problem on my Pixel 6 pro. In order to fix the problem I did a factory data reset. All works great now. Also using Nova beta as my launcher.

ccps

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
LOL. so earlier I am clicking on it and all it will do is toggle the slider on and off. Now it lets me into it. arrggggg. So why do I have the individuals that have a toggle on or off with individual settings and within them that have no audib4le notifications set unless i pick one? Vibrate is set. Prefer all be default.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you select a specific conversation in your Messages app and then Menu>Details>Notifications, you can choose a custom notification tone for that conversation only. Even if you don't select a custom tone, the act of bringing up that menu will make that conversation show up in the Notifications menu in the Settings>Apps menu.

You already figured out that you have to tap the words and not the toggle switch to get to more options for a conversation. Do all of those specific conversations in your screenshot have custom tones? You may just have to go through all of them and change the Sound option to the default.

ccps

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to figure out why I have this select group of people under notifications that require thier own settings instead of just being default.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to figure out why I have this select group of people under notifications that require thier own settings instead of just being default.

Like I mentioned above, did you ever go into the details of those message threads and look at the notification options? If you do that, it will make those message threads appear in the Settings>Apps menu under the Notifications channels. I'm not sure how to get rid of them, short of clearing the app cache/data for the Messages app.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Like B. Diddy mentioned, that's how my phone looks when I set unique Notifications for individual messages, from specific people. Each chat thread with unique notifications then gets its own settings aside from Messages default.