Micro SD card reader

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
I recently purchased this USB-C plug in micro SD card reader/adapter. So... I can't transfer files to it. At first, I could view my files, but that was it. I can't even do that now. I thought this was a great way to utilize SD cards since expandable memory on phones is a thing of the past now, but it's useless if it doesn't work lol

Is there a way to be able to change the control settings to "this device," rather than the connected device? Any clue?

Screenshot_20230211_174453_Settings.jpg

20230211_125727.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Which file manager were you using -- Files by Google? Have you tried any other file managers, like Total Commander?

Are you saying that if you tap "This Device", the selection doesn't switch over?

Reactions: Amthebigdog

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering if this is due more to the hardware of the adapter itself. Is it a well-known brand, or some no-name/off-brand product? The latter will be more likely to have compatibility or quality control issues.

You might want to look into a microSD card reader with a USB-A connection, and use the USB-C to USB-A adapter that came with your phone (assuming this is a Pixel or Samsung phone -- both manufacturers typically include one of these, and those are supposed to be OTG adapters). That way, you know that the OTG part will work correctly.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Not entirely sure. It worked a bit better the first time I plugged it in though. I could actually view my files. Now I can't do anything. It was an off brand from Amazon which had really good reviews. I will probably return considering it doesn't work.

Not entirely sure how to do that. I was there was an easy option of something I could just plug in through type C and transfer audio/image files to my SD card that way. I don't really know of what that would be though. I don't want to transfer to my PC as I don't really actively have one. I just want to be able to save files to SD card in some way, since my S21 Ultra doesn't support them.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Nope. I bought my device from Ebay so it only came with the bare essentials.

I will definitely return this and try that second Anker product. Thanks!

Amthebigdog

Mar 5, 2024
Visit site
Yes it wont switch over.

Im not sure what I am using. Whatever is there by default. Probably google.

I recently purchased this USB-C plug in micro SD card reader/adapter. So... I can't transfer files to it. At first, I could view my files, but that was it. I can't even do that now. I thought this was a great way to utilize SD cards since expandable memory on phones is a thing of the past now, but it's useless if it doesn't work lol

Is there a way to be able to change the control settings to "this device," rather than the connected device? Any clue?

View attachment 351202

View attachment 351203
I had this issue. Got my hardware from eBay. Did all sorts of stuff but it ended up being a simple fix. Format it. I haven't had a single issue since. I download full movies to it. I have posts that go into this.

Amthebigdog

Mar 5, 2024
Visit site

View attachment 351202

View attachment 351203
Connected device refers to an added device like a USB drive or SD card. This device is referring to the internal storage. If your phone came with 32Gb your "this device" will be 32Gb. Also what happens when you click file transfer options?

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Yeah I don't know. I haven't bothered with any of this garbage since. One of my most annoying gripes about smartphones to this day now is the lack of SD card support. I don't care if they are slower, and all that crap. They make life a lot easier.
Now when I run out of space, I just simply upload files to my PC.

Amthebigdog

Mar 5, 2024
Visit site
Yeah I don't know. I haven't bothered with any of this garbage since. One of my most annoying gripes about smartphones to this day now is the lack of SD card support. I don't care if they are slower, and all that crap. They make life a lot easier.
Now when I run out of space, I just simply upload files to my PC.
All the smartphones I've owned have a slot to add an SD card. I can add and use that as more storage. They make high speed SD cards if you want faster. Am I missing something? Don't give up it should be pretty easy to work thru and fix