MMS not downloading

DMMarlowe

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Occasionally, my MMS attachments do not download on my Pixel 6. I am updated to Android 14. I have restarted the phone. I have turned the Wi-Fi off and on. I have turned airplane mode on and off. I have updated the message app and I have turned auto download MMS off and then on again, restarting the phone each time. I do not get an error message. I only get an X representing the attachment, spinning and spinning.

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Cell signal is fine. Not comfortable changing APN. I have a feeling this happens when I get MMS from iPhones.
My mom had this happens when her sheep friends send stuff on occasion. Switched her to Samsung Messages and she hasn't said anything since about the issue.

It's frustrating but since you're on a Pixel, short of sacrificing RCS to switch to a different messenger is probably your only option.

Personally I wouldn't but some don't care about RCS.

Reactions: DMMarlowe

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Cell signal is fine. Not comfortable changing APN. I have a feeling this happens when I get MMS from iPhones.
The issue would be if the incorrect APN is listed in your phone. If that's the case, then your service may be suboptimal. This can sometimes happen, and it's usually a simple matter of editing the APN to make sure it corresponds with what the carrier wants

DMMarlowe

May 6, 2015
Visit site
The issue would be if the incorrect APN is listed in your phone. If that's the case, then your service may be suboptimal. This can sometimes happen, and it's usually a simple matter of editing the APN to make sure it corresponds with what the carrier wants
There is no list under APN

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
T-Mobile isn't particularly elligant when it comes to tower upgrades. For example they left the 5G in some sort of test mode where it sent out 5G but nothing worked and I had to force 4G in a specific area of town until the upgrade was done.

Another instance was I was within range of 3 towers, nearly all the same distance. 1 tower always gave me problem with calls and texts.

You can try: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wilysis.cellinfolite

The tabs at the top go over to the right and there is a map option that shows the cell towers near you. See if there are multiple. Also next time try having someone send you an MMS near each of the towers to rule it out.

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Me again. I use multiple apps and I knew that one didn't look right the more I looked at it.

The one I gave earlier has a map that shows towers and their strength.

This is the one I meant to share:

More user friendly, nicer interface and shows the tower you're connected to as well as the tower ID but not strength. Click the arrow button at the bottom right and then click cell towers on that screen.

If it turns out to be a tower issue you can go to a real T-Mobile location (don't go to an authorized reseller, visually they are indistinguishable, use the we site store locator) and you can report the exact tower giving the issue.

That unfortunately as of now is all I can contribute unless something new arises.

Best of luck.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Are you using a VPN?
If not make sure your Google back up on and reset Google message app to do so long press it then tap info>storage>clear data then force stop it , everything should repopulate if back up is on .

Reactions: Laura Knotek

BijouVixen

Feb 10, 2024
Visit site
Also Att mainly but Verizon and T-Mobile
Outages

Yep I'm on ATT and can confirm there's an issue haaaa!! I've been trying to text my husband all morning but it's been only going in circles and circles which I found weird and thought it was my new Pixel Fold !!

I actually restarted it a couple times and now see the actual issue. Thank you!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yep I'm on ATT and can confirm there's an issue haaaa!! I've been trying to text my husband all morning but it's been only going in circles and circles which I found weird and thought it was my new Pixel Fold !!

I actually restarted it a couple times and now see the actual issue. Thank you!
Welcome
Hopefully they fix this quickly

SeeBeeEss

Jan 5, 2019
Visit site
You may be on to something. Apple doesn't play nice with Android sometimes. I have helped a couple of people who had similar issues receiving messages from iPhones on their Android phones. Some troubleshooting tips for the issue may be found here. Installing and using the Textra app (highly recommended if there is an issue or not) instead of the Google Messages app also cured the issue in one instance.

BijouVixen

Feb 10, 2024
Visit site
Welcome
Hopefully they fix this quickly
What a pain in the ass today was with ATT's issue!?! I had no text messaging and while waiting on an important phone call ....... couldn't receive nor make calls!!

It said to connect on WiFi calling which I want able to do and got this 504 error message so nooo calls?!?! Well it was a very quiet afternoon needless to say haaaaa. It finally was fixed just awhile ago but I've never experienced this kind of outage before and scary to think if I was on the road somewhere with not being able to communicate in any way??

Did you have as much problems as I did and did it just get fixed late this afternoon if I may kindly ask?

All good now I guess!!

Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
What a pain in the ass today was with ATT's issue!?! I had no text messaging and while waiting on an important phone call ....... couldn't receive nor make calls!!

It said to connect on WiFi calling which I want able to do and got this 504 error message so nooo calls?!?! Well it was a very quiet afternoon needless to say haaaaa. It finally was fixed just awhile ago but I've never experienced this kind of outage before and scary to think if I was on the road somewhere with not being able to communicate in any way??

Did you have as much problems as I did and did it just get fixed late this afternoon if I may kindly ask?

All good now I guess!!
Thanks for update, No thank God but previous outages were a nightmare

Reactions: BijouVixen

DMMarlowe

May 6, 2015
Visit site
There is no list under APN
I am currently on with Tmobile tech support. I found one name under APN. It is T-Mobile US
Also Att mainly but Verizon and T-Mobile
Outages

Thank you. This has been an ongoing issue and I understand it affects others also

Reactions: mustang7757

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201