Moto X screen blank and unresponsive during call

Camilo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
This is a 2013 Moto X, Android 4.4.4. It does not have a case or screen protector.

I cracked the screen and had it replaced/repaired locally, got it back yesterday. The phone looks perfect and works perfectly except for one thing.

Now, whenever the phone is engaged in a call - making a call or receiving a call - the screen goes blank and is totally unresponsive. The power button does nothing.

I can hear and be heard on the call, but I have no way of hanging up. This happens before I put the phone to my ear, and continues whether or not the phone is near my face. This and the fact that I don't have a case or screen protector makes me think it's not a proximity sensor problem.

When the call ends, I have to just wait until the phone disconnects by itself, and then the screen comes back and works normally.

I can take it back to the local tech who fixed it (good reputation btw, fwiw), but am wondering if there is some sort of quick solution I can look for.

If you have any ideas, please let me know! Any and all suggestions are welcome. For example - suggestions on settings that could possibly have been changed, "safe mode" booting, factory reset, etc. are all welcome.

Another bit of information - I really don't know when the last Android update was done, and have no idea if it was done recently, and if so, if the problem is at all related to any recent update.

Also, I've looked for a solution online but really can't find anything that makes sense for this exact problem. If you know of a solution that's been posted here or anywhere, a pointer to that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'd guess that the proximity sensor got damaged somehow, such that it doesn't turn the screen back on when the phone call ends. That might be something for a repair person to focus on.

ttfn92

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I was actually coming on here to see if anyone had this problem. It happens to me all the time. I have to push the power button to get it to come back on. It is really annoying when you are on the phone with a company where you have to push a number. I haven't needed my phone repaired for anything. I do have a case and screen protector. I would say maybe I need a new screen protector but if it's happening to you without one then I'm guessing not. It's just been within the last month or 2 for me. Also, in the last couple of weeks my Swype hasn't been working very well. It will miss half the letters and I'm constantly having to redo it. I wonder if they are connected. Hopefully someone has a solution.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
A screen protector that is dirty or scratched up overlying the proximity detector could potentially cause it to malfunction. The screen protector might also be causing some of the swyping issues as well. Can you try removing it?

Camilo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Just as an update - I really can't figure out what's going on with this, other than to think the mother board, or logic board or whatever it's called was damaged when I dropped it and broke the screen. The tech who assembled the new screen onto the phone inspected (assembled and disassembled) it and could see no physical issues with the proximity sensor. As I mentioned in OP, there was no screen protector or case involved so that simple solution didn't apply.

The on/off button was also sporadic and then just quit, and it wouldn't be recognized by any of my computers regardless of the cable I was using, new drivers, etc. My best guess is that there was internal damage other than the screen. It was quite a drop - from a counter top to a concrete floor, and the screen was cracked throughout.

So I'm going to cut my losses and get a new phone, and maybe sell this thing for parts or use it as a wireless device for streaming music, media files, chromecast, etc. It works perfectly except when making calls. All the touch screen and hands-free features work. I can actually do everything, including making calls, except to hang up! (screen is blank, on/off button doesn't work so there's no way to end a call other than wait for the phone to hang up itself.)

I'm going to make a new thread asking about what the heck is a 'developer' edition vs. for example ATT or unlocked. (I use att)

Thanks for your help.

ttfn92

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Well bummer! I haven't dropped mine or damaged it in any way but have the same problem. I was really hoping someone knew what the problem was.

Posted via Android Central App

allan emery

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
The proximity sensor is next to the speaker. Sometimes dust gets into the speaker and confuses the proximity sensor. Take a compressed air canister and blow it into the speaker hole. Often this will resolve the problem.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I'd think about getting a screen protector that doesn't cover the proximity sensor.

I have a Topeak weatherproof case for mounting my phone on my bike handlebar. When I get a phone call and my phone is in that case, the proximity sensor is fooled by the clear plastic window of the case and keeps the screen turned off. Until I received a call with it in the case, I would not have guessed the see-through window would register to the sensor.

Sahil Gupta8

Mar 15, 2018
Visit site
I'd guess that the proximity sensor got damaged somehow, such that it doesn't turn the screen back on when the phone call ends. That might be something for a repair person to focus on.

somewhat correct... I removed the screen and cleaned the proximity sensor... There was dust... Now it's working well

Apr 18, 2018
Visit site
This is a 2013 Moto X, Android 4.4.4. It does not have a case or screen protector.

I cracked the screen and had it replaced/repaired locally, got it back yesterday. The phone looks perfect and works perfectly except for one thing.

Now, whenever the phone is engaged in a call - making a call or receiving a call - the screen goes blank and is totally unresponsive. The power button does nothing.

I can hear and be heard on the call, but I have no way of hanging up. This happens before I put the phone to my ear, and continues whether or not the phone is near my face. This and the fact that I don't have a case or screen protector makes me think it's not a proximity sensor problem.

When the call ends, I have to just wait until the phone disconnects by itself, and then the screen comes back and works normally.

I can take it back to the local tech who fixed it (good reputation btw, fwiw), but am wondering if there is some sort of quick solution I can look for.

If you have any ideas, please let me know! Any and all suggestions are welcome. For example - suggestions on settings that could possibly have been changed, "safe mode" booting, factory reset, etc. are all welcome.

Another bit of information - I really don't know when the last Android update was done, and have no idea if it was done recently, and if so, if the problem is at all related to any recent update.

Also, I've looked for a solution online but really can't find anything that makes sense for this exact problem. If you know of a solution that's been posted here or anywhere, a pointer to that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance!

Hi..

Nothing wrong with the software.. most of time on the screen if you put any stickers it will behave like this. Just remove the stickers on the phone screen and clean the screen properly.... If it not works than something problem with the sensors. it will be at the speaker location on the screen. first clean the screen, still not working than change the sensor...

Tam Lebofsky

May 5, 2014
Visit site

Thanks in advance!

My solution was my case was interfering with the proximity sensor. I shaved a little bit of the case near the proximity sensor and now it is fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J0SH