Moving from BlackBerry to Android: Can I get some help?

A

AC Question

Moving from BlackBerry to Android

I have moved from Blackberry to a Sony Xperia Z3 compact. Currently it feels to me like the dumbest smartphone ever.
Here are my most urgent problems:
1. I run four e mail accounts, two are accessed via web browser and two are "Talk Talk" personal accounts. My problem is this: my phone often fails to send an e mail and I often don't notice the tiny and briefly visible "not sent" message. In order to see whether a message has gone or not I have to come out of the "Combined inbox" and into each individual account inbox. Then for each account I have to scroll down to find the "sent" and "outbox" folders to determine whether each e mail has gone or not. To me this is madness and very time consuming when you send as many e mails as I have to from four different accounts. On a Blackberry there is one icon for "all accounts" or you can chose from separate icon for each account. Whether in the all accounts or the individual ones the messages BOTH IN AND OUT are displayed in order of sending/receiving. Each message has a tick or a cross next to it so you can easily see if the message has gone or not.
Does anyone know how to replicate this on my Android phone? It seems obvious to me this is how it should work especially as my Android phone seems far less reliable for e mails than my Blackberry.

2. The second most useful feature of the BlackBerry was the large flashing red light to alert you of incoming messages. I've seen that I'm not alone in missing this but some people seem to want the full multi coloured LED. I just want ANY visible sign of a new message. My phone does seem to have a very tiny white LED (On a white phone??) but it's almost impossible to see. Any thoughts on this would be welcome - even if there's a better Android phone out there with a decent LED notification.
3 The phone almost continually "buffers" when either changing from viewing one e mail account to another or when trying to delete e mails. If I delete more than 6 e mails it can buffer for five minutes or more.
4. Alarm. Apart from the useless Clock it now has following an "update" which is not easy to use to change the alarm time (what was wrong with the 24 hr clock which you simply scrolled through?) the most annoying thing is that unlike a Blackberry you cannot seem to put it to sleep and have it wake itself up at the prescribed alarm time? What is really annoying about this is that being a "smartphone" it uses much more battery life than the old blackberry yet wastes most of it during the night if I use it as an alarm! If I leave it on and waste the battery then I have to remember to turn the sound down or be woken every few minutes by incoming emails. Of course I then have to remember to reset the sound in the morning otherwise I won't hear my incoming calls or message. I thought smart phones were supposed to make life easier not much harder?
5 Finally (although there are many more less important problems) it simply refuses to sync with my two Talk Talk (Tiscali) e mail accounts. I've tried the recommended delete and start again with no luck. The phone is definitely set to auto sync. This is really irritating as I obviously have open/delete every e mail twice once on the phone and once on the PC when I'm working form my home office.

Any constructive thoughts and advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks
Mark

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Moving from BlackBerry to Android

Your mail issues (1, 3 AND 5) may be solved by trying one of the many 3rd-party mail clients available in the Play Store. K9 used to be a popular one.

The only Android phone I could suggest that may have a better notification setup is any of the Motorola phones that have ActiveDisplay (Moto X and Droid Turbo are 2). With that, only a portion of the display activates (benefit of AMOLED screens) and provides the icon for the app notifying and a preview of the notification if you press on the icon.

I keep my volume up all the way and don't get bothered by notifications during the night, maybe I'm not as light of a sleeper as you. The Motorola phones DO have the Assist (or now the Moto app I guess) that can turn off notifications during a specified time of the day. There may be equivalent apps to this in the Play Store, you'll have to look for those or others may need to suggest ones that work for them. As for the battery use during sleep, the next version of Android is supposed to address this according to the announcement last month.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Re: Moving from BlackBerry to Android

Id you install the AquaMail email client it can solve most of your problems. Possibly some other email clients can also, but AquaMail has some unique features that I think might make it the best choice for you.

OK, let's go through your issues:

1. AquaMail has what's called the 'Smart Folder'. Think of it as an unified inbox, but configurable to do much more.

Quote from the AquaMail FAQs:

"The Smart Folder shows messages that are unread, or which, over a selectable time period:

1) were received by the application;
2) were sent (this is the date/time in the header);
3) were read, including read in other apps (for IMAP).

You can include or exclude starred messages in this list, please see app settings under Smart Folder.

In other words, this is the list of messages that might require attention, or that you might need to come back to. This folder is enabled by default, but can be disabled in the app’s settings.

Per-folder color labels are also enabled by default, but can be disabled in settings.

To assign a folder a different color or to set whether it’s included in the the Smart Folder, please do this:

1) long-press the account in the main window
2) choose “Options and folders”, then “Folders”
3) scroll to whichever folder you wish to change
4) long-press the folder or tap the settings icon to the right of the folder’s name."

End quote.

IOW the Smart Folder will enable you to see what mail has come in AND gone out, over a selectable time period, from all of your accounts, all in one place, and even sorted and color-coded per account and per account folder for easy identification. This is an excellent feature. I doubt Blackberry has anything quite like it.

To make it even easier and more useful, you can add a programmable widget to your home screen with the top few emails visible and fully open the Smart Folder or an email with one tap. Another Tap opens the full AquaMail app.

AquaMail is extremely configurable with options for almost everything you can imagine. It's undergoing constant development and even more features are coming. No, I'm not affiliated with AquaMail in any way. Just a very satisfied user. IMHO this is one of the very best apps available for Android and a steal at only $5 for the Pro version.

2. Can't do much about that now. If it was important you should have given it more consideration when picking a phone. My Nexus 5 has a very visible multi-color LED. My wife's Nexus 6 has the beautiful and useful ActiveDisplay notifications. What you want is available.

3. I have no such problems. Email is very fast. This is probably a WiFi or mobile data problem, I don't know what you're using. But probably not an Android thing.

4. I've never used the alarm function so I won't get into that. But AquaMail has a programmable Night Mode feature that turns off notifications while you sleep. Also has a Weekend Mode.

5. I've had no problems getting AquaMail to sync several accounts. It seems to handle just about anything. If you have any trouble, AquaMail has excellent support. Actually, I think this is probably the result of problem #3.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s/details?id=org.kman.AquaMail&token=92iZy1Co

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hohenheimofdarkness