My Google Contacts not synching

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
When I first got my Thunderbolt, all my Google Contacts and Calendar got transferred to the Thunderbolt just fine.

Problem is when I enter a new contact through the Thunderbolt, the new contact doesn't show up in my Google desktop Contact app (via my laptop).

But strangely, when I enter a new contact in Google desktop Contact through my laptop, this synchs perfectly whereby the the new contact shows up in my Thunderbolt. But the synching process doesn't work from the Thunderbolt to Google desktop. Weird.

But my Google Calendar synchs perfectly no problem in both directions, only have the strange problem with Contacts.

Anyone have ideas how to resolve this?

Thanks, Casey

zmonster1

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Can't sync google contacts anyone else have this problem?

I picked up my Thunderbolt yesterday and sync'ed my google contacts without issue. When the backup assistant ran it duped all my contacts. I was able to disable the back up assistant and remove all my contacts. Now I'm looking to sync my contacts with Google and I can't see to connect to the server. Is anyone else having this issue? Does anyone have any suggestions to try?

Thank you
Z

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
The problem is when you entered the contact you didn't change the contact type to google. Its automatically set to phone. So the contact is only stored under phone storage and not google sync.

Thanks for your reply. So can I do this after the fact? If so, how?

Thanks! Casey

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Open people, click on the contact. In the top right, click on the link chain. Link Google. Let me know if that works.

Sorry, I'm still trying to figure out how to change existing contact from Phone to Google. When I click at top right icon where it currently says "Phone", I don't see any way to change to "Link Google". The only things I see are "All Contacts-Press to link to other contact", and the Cancel button below.

On a positive note, I'm making great progress based on your first reply. I now know to tap on the Contact Type drop down menu, and to choose "Google" instead of "Phone". This action correctly syncs the new contact to my Google Contact desktop app. Thanks so much for cluing me in! You guys are great on this Android board!! Casey

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Okay, that's fine. You already helped me a lot by cluing me in to changing to Google instead of Phone when first entering a new contact. That's great! Thanks a bunch! Fortunately, I only entered a couple new contacts with this problem, so it's not a big deal.

dizlmonsta

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I can't get 'Sync contacts' to work either. Perpetually says "Sync is experiencing problems. It will be back shortly."

It's really frustrating that these errors don't produce anything that can be useful for troubleshooting, like an error code, especially when they uses generic errors that claim that it will "be back shortly" when it's entirely possible the problem never resolves itself.

magikspl

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
The problem is when you entered the contact you didn't change the contact type to google. Its automatically set to phone. So the contact is only stored under phone storage and not google sync.

You are genius! My captivate used to do both way syncings auto so I couldn't figure out wth was up with this phone. I didn't even notice the option of where to save the number...

ak2j

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. So can I do this after the fact? If so, how?

Thanks! Casey

According to htc rep I talked with today you cannot. Once it is a phone contact it s a phone contact. We will have to manually enter the contact into google. Not what I wanted to hear.

anon(2632)

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
According to htc rep I talked with today you cannot. Once it is a phone contact it s a phone contact. We will have to manually enter the contact into google. Not what I wanted to hear.

You can actually open the contact and save to sim card... delete the contact from the phone, then import the contact back to the phone with the google contact.. I did that with one of mine.

I will lay out the steps i did.

Open people>menu>view>uncheck all but phone>done.
tap contact>menu>more>save to sim
back arrow to see phone contacts and repeat for all that you want to move.

Back to people>Menu>view>choose what ever you wish to see> done
Menu>import/export>import from sim card>google>check all you want to move to google>save

notmebug

Banned
Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I can't get 'Sync contacts' to work either. Perpetually says "Sync is experiencing problems. It will be back shortly."

It's really frustrating that these errors don't produce anything that can be useful for troubleshooting, like an error code, especially when they uses generic errors that claim that it will "be back shortly" when it's entirely possible the problem never resolves itself.

I'm having the same issues, I have everything working with my root except contacts and I really don't want to factory reset and log another 10 hours re-customizing again

Edit: try this fix for trouble syncing google contacts

I had the same issue. Go to Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>Running select Contacts Storage and Clear Data. Then try syncing.

Thank you thank you thank you!

I had previously tried clearing data from the people app with no luck, it looks like my google contacts are loading now after clearing 92mb from the Contacts Storage cache!

Last edited: