My Note 10+ is riding shotgun for doing a video shoot assignment

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I have rigged my Note 10+ phone to ride shotgun along with my new Canon EOS M50 camera. Will record a presentation next week for my first assignment. The M50 camera is the primary device for recording video and is attached to an external Movo shotgun microphone for better voice/audio quality. The Note 10+ phone has a Yichuang USB-C lavalier microphone attached to it, also for the purpose of better voice/audio quality. Both the camera and phone will simultaneously record the event.

Is this overkill??

Attachments

• M50andNote10FrontPic114119.jpg
    M50andNote10FrontPic114119.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 26
  • M50andNote10RearPic115245.jpg
    M50andNote10RearPic115245.jpg
    492.2 KB · Views: 25

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Pretty cool , I think Samsung and apple have probably best for video

One of my early "smartphones" was the Palm Treo 650. The camera spec was 0.3MP VGA quality (as in one third of 1 megapixel). Video quality was equally atrocious. But I loved that phone to death. Even after the first version of the iPhone came out and many peeps were jumping on the Apple bandwagon, I held onto my Palm Treo phone for a few years longer.

Link to the Palm Treo 650 smartphone...aaah, the memories:
https://www.gsmarena.com/palm_treo_650-907.php

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
One of my early "smartphones" was the Palm Treo 650. The camera spec was 0.3MP VGA quality (as in one third of 1 megapixel). Video quality was equally atrocious. But I loved that phone to death. Even after the first version of the iPhone came out and many peeps were jumping on the Apple bandwagon, I held onto my Palm Treo phone for a few years longer.

Link to the Palm Treo 650 smartphone...aaah, the memories:
https://www.gsmarena.com/palm_treo_650-907.php
OMG Blast from the past

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
That will be very interesting to hear what your opinion is on the outcome of that comparison

Unfortunately, it will not be a fair comparison. Video consists of 2 parts, audio and visual. The Note 10+ with its internal microphone is omni directional, which means it will record sound from all directions. This is bad because I only want the sound from the speaker's voice to be recorded, but not the background noise. The only way to accomplish this is to use an external microphone as close-up to the speaker as possible. There are only 2 types of microphones that I know of, either a shotgun mic or a lavalier mic. For my particular setup, I will use the Movo VXR700 shotgun mic hooked up to my Canon M50 camera's 3.5mm audio jack. The Movo mic has a plus 10 decibal setting to boost the sound sensitivity, plus the mic has a low-cut pass filter to reduce unwanted background noise. Both settings will be enabled on the Movo shotgun mic for optimal audio quality. As for my Note 10+ phone, unfortunately I don't have a 2nd Movo VXR700 mic to attach to the phone in order to have a fair audio comparison. Just as important, even if I did have a 2nd mic, it would not be able to attach to the phone because as we all know, the Note 10 phone lacks a freakin' 3.5mm audio jack. This is also the reason why (in a separate thread) that I ordered a freakin' $15 Samsung USB-C adapter so that I would be able to hopefully connect an external microphone, such as a 2nd Movo VXR700, to my Note 10 phone. But I've already been notified by FedEx that my Samsung adapter has been delayed for arrival 3 times already...nuts. So if the Note 10 phone were to have a 3.5mm jack, which it doesn't, that would mean I could instantly slap on a 2nd Movo shotgun mic so that both the camera and phone would have exactly the same microphone so that it would be a fair test for comparing audio quality. As it stands now, the only external microphone that I have that fits the Note 10 phone is something I ordered from Amazon, which is the Yichuang 4 feet long USB-C lavalier mic. I am very happy this external mic works and attaches to the Note 10 phone via USB-C, which is what the mic is designed for. This Yichuang USB-C mic only costs $20 and works well, but the problem is that the cord is only 4 feet long, which is too short to clip onto the speaker's lapel from where the camera will be situated. So going back to the Samsung USB-C adapter that I ordered but is delayed in transit, if that widget were to work correctly, that would be great. I would consider buying a 2nd Movo VXR700 shotgun mic which works great and only costs $40 at Amazon. I could then attach that duplicate Movo mic to my Note 10 phone. This is all theoretical at this point, but in my mind, it will hopefully all work out as planned. Using an external shotgun mic is ideal because the mic is designed to focus on picking up sound from a narrow range based on whatever the mic is pointing at. Conversely, the shotgun mic will record much less of the unwanted background noise since it is NOT omni-directional. As for visual quality, I'm sure the Note 10 phone will record well, especially since it's in a controlled environment inside a room. The M50 camera positively has an advantage over the Note 10 phone since the camera has a longer optical zoom lens focal range (15mm-45mm), whereas the Note 10 phone only has 1x and 2x optical zoom (without going into digital zoom). Also important is that the M50 camera (plus almost all DSLR cameras) are able to do a custom white balance preset off a grey card. This means I can turn off the unpredictable "Auto" white balance from the camera, instead, take a picture of an 18 percent grey card and set that as my default for Custom White Balance. Bottom line, the colors will be much more accurate, especially for skin tones on subjects when using a Custom White Balance metered off a grey card. But on the Note 10 phone (or any smartphone), I'm pretty sure this is not possible to do a custom white balance setting. In my Note 10 plus phone, when I switch to "Pro" still image shooting mode in the camera app, I see the ability to change to different color temperatures (such as from warmer to cooler). But I don't see any way to meter off a grey card to use for custom white balance. When I switch to video mode on the Note 10, I don't even see any provision to change the color temperature, so it's even more limited for shooting videos versus stills. Anyway, excuse the long rambling and whatever grammatical/syntax errors that are included in this long run-on paragraph. Hopefully I was able to shed some light on why it will not be a fair comparison between my M50 camera versus the Note 10 plus phone. But with that said, I fully expect the Note 10 plus phone to serve as a very capable backup camera.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I have rigged my Note 10+ phone to ride shotgun along with my new Canon EOS M50 camera. Will record a presentation next week for my first assignment. The M50 camera is the primary device for recording video and is attached to an external Movo shotgun microphone for better voice/audio quality. The Note 10+ phone has a Yichuang USB-C lavalier microphone attached to it, also for the purpose of better voice/audio quality. Both the camera and phone will simultaneously record the event.

Is this overkill??
That's slicker than whale snot.

I have a simpler set up, I mount my Go Pro to the flash mount on my EOS 6D. I might try this with my Note 10+, since I can use the S Pen as a trigger.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

I have a simpler set up, I mount my Go Pro to the flash mount on my EOS 6D. I might try this with my Note 10+, since I can use the S Pen as a trigger.

That sounds cool. But as I mentioned earlier, it's important to attach an external mic to either the camera or phone since the internal mic will pick up unwanted noises from all directions (due to its omnidirectional design). Hence you really want to use an external shotgun mic or a lavalier mic to concentrate on the voice/audio you want to pick up and lesson other distracting noises.

By the way, I also have the Canon BR-E1 Remote controller for Bluetooth remote triggering of my M50 camera for either stills or video. The super cool thing about this remote is that it can literally shoot through walls and closed doors at around 25 footsteps away from camera to remote. If you don't already have this Canon remote control, it's worth the $40 price tag. Don't get a cheap knock-off.

Here's a link for the Canon remote control. I got mine through Amazon.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...HjllW128O399_QxrstHxUyHsmxSEz6DEaApGKEALw_wcB

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

For your Go Pro, do you already have the 3.5mm microphone adapter? See links below. If not, you should get one so you can attach an external microphone for better voice/audio recording quality. Just about any external mic will record better audio than the built-in camera mic, as a general rule.

https://www.samys.com/p/Action-Came...TF__CdxXnSXu6cTa_L26AO17vLmzvagoaAhwEEALw_wcB

https://www.amazon.com/GoPro-3-5mm-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6679070

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
For your Go Pro, do you already have the 3.5mm microphone adapter? See links below. If not, you should get one so you can attach an external microphone for better voice/audio recording quality. Just about any external mic will record better audio than the built-in camera mic, as a general rule.

https://www.samys.com/p/Action-Came...TF__CdxXnSXu6cTa_L26AO17vLmzvagoaAhwEEALw_wcB

https://www.amazon.com/GoPro-3-5mm-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6679203

I'm not worried about audio. This would be when I'm recording my daughters gymnastics routines. I can "co-axially" mount my phone on top of my camera. I can then use the S Pen to start recording video while I am shooting stills. Both my 6D and my phone would be shooting on the same axis. The Go Pro set up worked nice, but it was too wide angle.

This would also work while out shooting whales and maybe even sports.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Okay, here's an update. Today I performed the anticipated video recording, simultaneously shooting both my Canon M50 camera and Note 10 plus phone. What I had expected to happen, I was surprised, instead the opposite happened. I initially thought my Note 10 phone would have below average audio recording quality because there would be no external microphone attached, and would pick up unwanted ambient noise. I also thought visual quality of the Note 10 would be nearly on par with the M50 camera. After shooting a 31 minute video with both devices operating simultaneously on the tripod rig I set up, I have some findings to report. First, I should give a visual summary of the room setup. The entire video was shot in a very quiet closed conference room, there was NO ambient noise whatsoever, only 3 people in the room. All 3 people were situated at the end of the rectangular table. There is a large rectangular window pane to the camera left. Curtains were intentionally left about half open to provide good ambient lighting (around 11:30am) without the need for the room ceiling lights. There was only in-direct daylight coming through the windows, NO direct sun. I intentionally placed the speaker to the right of the rectangular table with his profile facing towards the window for best facial lighting. The other 2 people were on the left side. So here's the unexpected happening with the Note 10+ phone video. Throughout about half the video, the exposure kept getting brighter and darker intermittently. I'm not sure why because I'm sure that the sun did not come through the window during the entire 31 minute video clip. It's possible maybe the sun was coming out of the clouds maybe and hence more light was coming through the windows? I'm not sure. All I know for certain is that in reviewing the video on my laptop, the exposure value kept readjusting up and down in brightness value from the phone. Part of the problem I'm guessing is that the Note 10 phone can only do "auto exposure", not manual exposure in video mode. If it can be set for manual exposure, I don't know how it's done. Conversely, the Canon M50 camera has full manual exposure mode, therefore I intentionally set the exposure manually at 1/50 second shutter speed and approx f5.6 aperture, with the only thing automatic was the ISO setting to readjust automatically as needed. Hence, the M50 camera kept a very consistent exposure throughout the entire video clip. There was no unexpected roller coaster rides of going up and down in brightness levels with the camera. So it's a definite win for the M50 camera when it comes to consistent exposure for shooting videos. Plus the details on the people's faces are noticeably better in the shaded areas from the camera. From the phone, the shadow details on people's faces around their eyes were a little too dark. As for audio quality, the M50 camera already had an unfair advantage of having an external shotgun mic attached with +10 decibal setting enabled along with low-cut filter enabled too. The Note 10+ phone was only using its internal microphone (with no external mic attached). But it turns out that audio quality from both the camera and phone came out quite well. I can clearly hear the speaker's voice from the Note 10's internal mic, so sound quality was excellent with no issue. But maybe it's also partly due to the fact the entire recording was done in a very quiet closed environment with no outside/ambient distractions? In other words, could the phone audio be just as good if the recording was done outdoors with noticeable ambient noise all around? My guess is that it cannot. Lastly, I already knew this would happen, but the M50 camera (along with a bunch of other similar types of D-SLR cameras) have a video limit of exactly 30 minutes long. Once the video reaches exactly at the 30 minute mark, the entire video recording automatically turns off. No kidding, seriously. A message comes on the M50 LCD screen that reads something like "the video limit has reached maximum"...or something similar. That means you would need to shoot another separate video clip to continue further. You will need to Google this yourself to find out why many interchangeable lens cameras have this video limitation of 30 minutes for recording time. However, on the Note 10+ phone (or any other smartphone??), there is no such limit. So the phone just happily kept recording until I stopped it. So what is my overall summary of all this? Based on this one test, which is far from conclusive, using a "real" camera for shooting videos definitely produces better results versus a phone camera. But I will have to do more comparisons to give a more definitive answer in the future.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Could you organize your posts into paragraphs, please? A giant wall of text is very difficult to read.

Well, I could just make a succinct summary, per below. Based on the simultaneous video recordings in a controlled environment:

Canon M50 Camera:
Pros: Better visual quality, in particular for consistent exposure on manual setting.
Cons: Limit of 30 minute recording for a single video clip file.

Note 10+ Phone:
Pros: No limit for recording time (depends on my memory card size).
Cons: Inconsistent exposure with varying brightness levels which produced some muddy details in shaded areas.

My in-conclusive/subjective overall opinion:
Canon M50 camera is the winner. But Note 10+ is certainly a good backup camera.

Audio quality is very good to excellent from the phone even though it had a disadvantage of no external mic attachment. But visual quality from the phone is not up to the same par compared to the camera.

If the phone is your only recording device available, it can certainly do a decent job, but not a great job.

Disclaimer/Qualifier: I have been doing photography for over 35 years, so I have a more critical eye than some.