Need a recommended scanning app

enginestar

Apr 22, 2018
Visit site
I want to take photos of a document and have that reshaped and turned into what looks like an a4 sheet of paper - not a skewed document!

Googled scan feature when taking photos is really poor. It only recognises documents 90% of the time. After taking pics you have to define the corners - this takes so much unnecessary time.

Once upon a time I used to have Camscanner. I paid for the premium version. Very disappointing, now doesn't get recognised 😕
It seems to be poorly supported.

I'm sure that there must be apps that use Ai to detect edges and straighten up images?

Where... when you use the app, you take a pic and in one second you get the background cut out and left with JUST THE document in A4 paper format.

Thanks.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
@enginestar

There's several on the Play Store's search page.

PhotoScan & Snapseed were both recommended to me recently, for photos, but I don't recall if they also have document scanning options. Haven't used them much, but there's also a scan function in Google Drive, where you can set it to 'Auto Calibrate' &c.

Hmmm, I think my wife is still using CamScanner on her S23U. :unsure:

The Play Store's CamScanner shows a 4.8 approval rating. But it's not getting recognised in your phone?

Though there may be other's that are better for documents.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laura Knotek

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I want to take photos of a document and have that reshaped and turned into what looks like an a4 sheet of paper - not a skewed document!

Googled scan feature when taking photos is really poor. It only recognises documents 90% of the time. After taking pics you have to define the corners - this takes so much unnecessary time.

Once upon a time I used to have Camscanner. I paid for the premium version. Very disappointing, now doesn't get recognised
It seems to be poorly supported.

I'm sure that there must be apps that use Ai to detect edges and straighten up images?

Where... when you use the app, you take a pic and in one second you get the background cut out and left with JUST THE document in A4 paper format.

Thanks.
What phone do you have, and what version of Android is it running?

Reactions: mustang7757

Mr. Lucky

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
I'm unsure what you mean by this statement. If you need something that can capture an image of a document and then straighten it to look like a scanned image, then I highly recommend the 'Lens' app by Microsoft (not to be confused with Google Lens). But is you mean that the app needs to convert to A4 from some other screen size and reflow the text, then I have no idea.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm unsure what you mean by this statement. If you need something that can capture an image of a document and then straighten it to look like a scanned image, then I highly recommend the 'Lens' app by Microsoft (not to be confused with Google Lens). But is you mean that the app needs to convert to A4 from some other screen size and reflow the text, then I have no idea.
I believe the OP wants an app that can easily recognize the borders of a page and automatically create a PDF with the correct borders. Google Drive's scan option often messes up the borders (even when it's pretty obvious, in my experience), requiring the user to manually adjust the borders to correspond to the actual document.

Mr. Lucky

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
I believe the OP wants an app that can easily recognize the borders of a page and automatically create a PDF with the correct borders.
If your understanding is correct, then the app I mentioned (MS Lens) will do the job. Since it's a Microsoft product, the saved output can be in a variety of MS formats awa PDF and JPG (see screenshot below of a document I just saved. Note that even though it save files with the "Office Lens" suffix, that is actually a separate app.
1712185190873.png

Reactions: B. Diddy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If your understanding is correct, then the app I mentioned (MS Lens) will do the job. Since it's a Microsoft product, the saved output can be in a variety of MS formats awa PDF and JPG (see screenshot below of a document I just saved. Note that even though it save files with the "Office Lens" suffix, that is actually a separate app.
View attachment 361486
Thanks, it's definitely worth a try!

enginestar

Apr 22, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.
I tried Microsoft Lens - pants like all the others.
You take a photo and have to spend 30 seconds dragging 4 corners.
With Ai, it should be possible to auto detect edges and then get rid of the skew.

Camscanner works. I can run and use. It used to be better than most others to be fair.
My grip e is when I run, I don't get seen as a paid user. What was the point of me buying (albeit many years ago).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky