Nexus 6 Broken Screen Data Recovery

nexus2motog4play

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi all,

This is my first post and I'm glad to join the community!

I actually broke my Nexus 6 screen a couple of weeks ago with the same situation as the person in this post.
The problem is, when I connect to my computer via USB, the Nexus 6 shows up in my drives, but there's no files showing at all so I can't download all the pics/videos off of it, it only charges. I assume this is because it's not in MTP mode? But I can't switch it on since I can't even see the screen. The phone itself works apart from the screen being dead, rings for calls, texts, charges and even bluetooth connects to my car when I start it up. I just can't view the files on my computer to download them .

A few key points are that I am able to push install apps via the Play Store, make the phone ring/lock/GPS it using Google Device Manager, and the phone connects automatically to my home Wifi and car bluetooth.

I've done a lot of research/trying stuff/thinking and basically if I can do one of the below, my problem will be solved.
1. Enable USB debugging. Apparently its not possible to do via fastboot/recovery mode or is it?
2. Be able to screen share my phone to my computer with an app such as Vysor (these require USB debugging enabled)
3. Be able to screen share my phone via an HDMI cable and also attach a USB mouse to the phone (but this won't work because Nexus 6 does not support MHL)
4. Be able to wifi share files on my phone to my computer with an app such as Droid Over Wifi
5. Pay $150-$250 to replace the screen (more than the value of the phone itself)

Now, it seems that nobody has been able to do the above successfully on the Nexus 6.

I had one creative idea I never heard, which was to push install an app from the Play Store onto my Nexus that would enable USB debugging, screen sharing, or wifi file sharing immediately at install time with no UI interaction. Does anybody know if this is possible?

nexus2motog4play

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've basically given up on this now and think the only option is to have the screen swapped out, at least temporarily.

I had one creative idea I never heard, which was to push install an app from the Play Store onto my Nexus that would enable USB debugging, screen sharing, or wifi file sharing immediately at install time with no UI interaction. Does anybody know if this is possible?
This is not possible, unfortunately. See below link, which says " all applications, upon installation, are placed in a "stopped" state. This is the same state that the application winds up in after the user force-stops the app from the Settings application. While in this "stopped" state, the application will not run for any reason, except by a manual launch of an activity. Notably, no BroadcastReceviers will be invoked, regardless of the event for which they have registered, until the user runs the app manually."
See android - How to start a Service when .apk is Installed for the first time - Stack Overflow