Note 8 USB C port hardware fault?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

The USB C port on my Note 8 has the following characteristics:

1) Allows slow charge over USB ONLY when the phone is switched on.
2) Does not fast charge when phone is on. the phone will beep and show fast charging, but immediately beep again and switch to cable charging.
3) Does not charge at all when phone is off (ie no charge LED or display to indicate charge level).
4) Does not allow phone to be tuned on whilst cable plugged in AND power applied (through wall socket, PC or powerbank).
5) Will randomly tell me that there is moisture in the port (there is not). This notification appears more when using certain cables.
6) Only if the battery is completely dead will it charge via USB when switched off.

Points 1-5 i have tried both the original wall plug and charging cable along with other wall plugs and cables. Point 6 i happened to be using my Honor wall plug and Honor USB C cable as that is what i had to hand. Its interesting that it charged - almost as if bypassing some checks that the phone does even when off??

What I have done:
A) Wiped DAVIK partition.
B) Cleared storage associated with USB settings.
C) Cleaned out the USB port on multiple occasions using 99% isopropyl alcohol, using toothpicks, cocktail sticks, compressed air. I can not see any lint or debris in the port. I can see the rows of pins in the port though and I cant see any damage (though this is obviously limited)
D) Check that Fast charging is enabled - i have disabled and re-enabled this as some YouTube videos suggest.
E) Used the same original and aftermarket cables on my Wifes S8 and verified that they are able to fast charge her device.

What i think:
At this point, having gone through many guides here and elsewhere, looking at YouTube videos all i can think is that I have a hardware fault, possibly related to the moisture sensor that is erogenously flagging up moisture sometimes. Some cables, such as the Connector for my DJI Mavic Pro controller constantly trigger the moisture sensor, followed closely by the original Samsung cable. My Wife who has an S8 can use these same cables with no issues. The only solution i have not tried is a factory reset because im not convinced it would work as the phone does not charge when switched off.

Over to you guys, i know its a long post but rather everyone have the full facts up front.
Cheers
G

. What i dont understand is why it is worse with certain cables (for example the cable from my DJI Mavic Pro Controller

Stumpy46

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone, I am the original poster - thank you mustang for prompting me to register (as it worked out i had an account from 2013!) and Galactic Zoo for responding. So my Note 8 is really annoying me at the moment. I did buy it second hand on Facebook a couple weeks back and got it home and immediately disinfected it with a spray which was a stupid thing to do (trusting the ip68) rating (i didnt spray up the usb port, just on screen and back) and it could of been that that broke the fast charge - or i could of been sold the phone with it already broke somehow. The main thing is the phone usb works for data transfer and slow charging when the phone is on. It is simply those points I raise - moisture warning when dry, no fast charge and the inability to charge when switched off (and not responding to power up until I unplug the charger from phone).

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi welcome back :)

Make sure you have good charging cables and wall adapter , and that setting on for fast charge , also make sure the USB port is clean look with a light . You also have the option to wireless charge if that port becomes a issue for charging , it's possible the phone had issues before you got it but try these things

Stumpy46

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
i cleaned the port again tonight- this time with a toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol and it fast charged for a massive 5 seconds - its the longest its ever fast charged before (normally goes straight away). now this may sound stupid but every time i get aggressive with a clean it does something similar.

Fast wireless charging does work and thats my fallback

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
i cleaned the port again tonight- this time with a toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol and it fast charged for a massive 5 seconds - its the longest its ever fast charged before (normally goes straight away). now this may sound stupid but every time i get aggressive with a clean it does something similar.

Fast wireless charging does work and thats my fallback
Work at it little more cleaning that port see what happens