Pixel 2 - Android Messages pics too big

mikeksjca

Jun 7, 2018
Visit site
Newbie here - apologies in advance if I do this wrong.

Pixel 2
Android Version: 8.10.0
Security Patch Level: May 5, 2018 (problem existed.)
Security Patch Level: June 5, 2018 (problem still exists.)

Issue: When I use Android Messages, I take a picture from within the app and then type some text to go with the picture, click send, I get a red notification below the attempted text that says: "Message not sent: too large". It happens 80% of the time.

This started about 1wk ago. I'm baffled, as I'm taking the picture from within the app itself and I have never had this issue prior. I checked the camera settings and they have not changed (they are set for the highest resolution/best quality), again everything worked fine before. I've always assumed the messaging app reduces the picture size when attaching it so it would send. That appears to be the case as the image when clicked on in the message stream shows sizes around 1.3MB.

I contacted Verizon and asked them if they had changed or made restrictions to MMS/SMS message sizes and they said no. (but really can I trust that a front line support person would be in the loop on such a change?)

I'm completely flummoxed. I realize I could take a picture with the camera app, resize it, and then attach it inside the messaging app, or use a different app, but that is a lot of work for something that USED to work without any issue.

Anyone got a suggestion? I've poked around in settings, etc., but can't find any setting that would fix this.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that lately too, I've resorted to just going to the camera app and attaching the pic to the message. Seems like a bug in Android messages.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Beats me - I just tried it both ways (taking a picture within the Android Messages app, and attaching an existing picture) and in both cases the pictures were sent correctly (and sized down from the original size). I'm on the Android P Beta 2 (DP3) and I haven't fiddled with any of the settings. Also on Verizon.