Pleasantly Surprised

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I picked up the 3a after a horrible experience with the new note, I wont get into that on this post.
Here is my favorite thing about this phone, it just works. I bought it added my accounted set it up, updated to android 10 right away. It has worked perfectly every single day, I haven't even restarted it after I did the update to 10. The current up time on my device is 8 minutes shy of 200 hours and I haven't had an issue. I would constantly have to restart my iphone to get the signal back when I would leave certain areas.

The only issue I have noticed is not specific to the phone but to android auto. Sometimes it defaults the sound in my car to the prompt volume. All I do is simply press the button to speak to google assistant and then press it again to cancel and my volume levels out like it should. That is an issue with android auto on several devices and car models.

The battery life is out standing with my day to day use, the max i have gotten was 36 hours with about 3 hours of sot and it was at 18% when I plugged it in. The entire time I had the ambient display on, which I have noticed can eat up a fair amount of battery in a day, at 11 hours of usage its at 11%. Probably going to turn if off and see if I get a noticeable improvement.

The over all feel is quick, I haven't noticed any lag on my day to day activities. The gestures need a little more polish for closing apps. I find that instead of closing them I will open it again sometimes with a swipe up. I do feel lucky that I haven't experience any android 10 issues, I did read that it is disabling sensors for some people. The system wide dark mode is super fantastic and looks really good. I usually just set up nova right out of the box, I am really liking the pixel launcher a lot. It just works no need for anything to fancy. Even though I am getting that itch to build a new klwp set up. I absolutely love the squeeze for google assistant. It has pretty much replaced my google home hub. The only thing I use that for is to play music for my dogs when I leave to go to work. I don't like saying hey google all the time to turn my lights of or on.

I don't take a lot of pictures so the camera is never a selling point for me. I do love showing off that night sight camera, especially in a room with all the lights turn off. It is super impressive. I do enjoy having the finger print scanner back, at least one that works wells(biggest complain I have about the note 10)

My only sort of annoyance would be no wireless charging. That is simply because I have spent the last almost 2 years just setting my phone on the wireless charger every night. Sometimes I forget in the morning that its plugged in and try to yank my power strip out of the wall lol.

I can say that if I wasn't super excited for the new pixel phone and its face recognition with soli sensor. I would be keeping this phone for a while, probably until the 4a comes out. I am very intrigued on how google is going to implement that new sensor, because it is more than just a mini radar chip and that is what excites me the most. How will they integrated it.

This is just a fantastic device that works and works well, if anyone is on the fence about picking up this phone just do it. If there are any iphone users reading this and you are on the fence. The pixel is the best device because all you do is turn it on sign into your account and start using it. You don't have to configure much of anything other than extra accounts you might want to add and just download the apps you want. There isnt duplicate apps that are added bloat from the oem like samsung and the majority of all the android phone oem. Like I said early the phone just works and works well.

Kilroy672

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
I picked up the 3a after a horrible experience with the new note, I wont get into that on this post.
Here is my favorite thing about this phone, it just works. I bought it added my accounted set it up, updated to android 10 right away. It has worked perfectly every single day, I haven't even restarted it after I did the update to 10. The current up time on my device is 8 minutes shy of 200 hours and I haven't had an issue. I would constantly have to restart my iphone to get the signal back when I would leave certain areas.

The only issue I have noticed is not specific to the phone but to android auto. Sometimes it defaults the sound in my car to the prompt volume. All I do is simply press the button to speak to google assistant and then press it again to cancel and my volume levels out like it should. That is an issue with android auto on several devices and car models.

The battery life is out standing with my day to day use, the max i have gotten was 36 hours with about 3 hours of sot and it was at 18% when I plugged it in. The entire time I had the ambient display on, which I have noticed can eat up a fair amount of battery in a day, at 11 hours of usage its at 11%. Probably going to turn if off and see if I get a noticeable improvement.

The over all feel is quick, I haven't noticed any lag on my day to day activities. The gestures need a little more polish for closing apps. I find that instead of closing them I will open it again sometimes with a swipe up. I do feel lucky that I haven't experience any android 10 issues, I did read that it is disabling sensors for some people. The system wide dark mode is super fantastic and looks really good. I usually just set up nova right out of the box, I am really liking the pixel launcher a lot. It just works no need for anything to fancy. Even though I am getting that itch to build a new klwp set up. I absolutely love the squeeze for google assistant. It has pretty much replaced my google home hub. The only thing I use that for is to play music for my dogs when I leave to go to work. I don't like saying hey google all the time to turn my lights of or on.

I don't take a lot of pictures so the camera is never a selling point for me. I do love showing off that night sight camera, especially in a room with all the lights turn off. It is super impressive. I do enjoy having the finger print scanner back, at least one that works wells(biggest complain I have about the note 10)

My only sort of annoyance would be no wireless charging. That is simply because I have spent the last almost 2 years just setting my phone on the wireless charger every night. Sometimes I forget in the morning that its plugged in and try to yank my power strip out of the wall lol.

I can say that if I wasn't super excited for the new pixel phone and its face recognition with soli sensor. I would be keeping this phone for a while, probably until the 4a comes out. I am very intrigued on how google is going to implement that new sensor, because it is more than just a mini radar chip and that is what excites me the most. How will they integrated it.

This is just a fantastic device that works and works well, if anyone is on the fence about picking up this phone just do it. If there are any iphone users reading this and you are on the fence. The pixel is the best device because all you do is turn it on sign into your account and start using it. You don't have to configure much of anything other than extra accounts you might want to add and just download the apps you want. There isnt duplicate apps that are added bloat from the oem like samsung and the majority of all the android phone oem. Like I said early the phone just works and works well.

Nice review. I got my 3a xl yesterday and I got it all set up for the most part. Its still running 9 and I want to try 10 but kinda hesitant after a people saying its not as steady as 9 is. I've always been the person who wants try the newest updates. If I update to 10 and I have problems there's no going back. Is it worth the update or not?

riccowboy2014

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Nice review. I got my 3a xl yesterday and I got it all set up for the most part. Its still running 9 and I want to try 10 but kinda hesitant after a people saying its not as steady as 9 is. I've always been the person who wants try the newest updates. If I update to 10 and I have problems there's no going back. Is it worth the update or not?

I was in the beta and never had a problem. And still no problems after receiving the final release. I really like my 3a XL. No issues at all for me.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
How long have you had the final release 10?
I got this phone on the release day for 10. Updated immediately and no issues. You always have the option to rollback to 9 if 10 breaks anything. You can wait till October 1st when they release the monthly update and see what the change log includes as far as fixes goes.

tfitzpat03

Jan 17, 2019
Visit site
As you put it, it just works. Haven't had a single issue with my 3a yet. I have an iPhone 8 for work as well. I tend to test them out against each other and they are both equally fast. I know that iPhone is a couple of years out but the 3a is considered mid range so I figured that makes it a fair fight.

Android 10 makes the 3a super smooth too. Yes wireless charging would have been nice but I don't even use it for my iPhone 8. I use a docking station for my 3a. My two biggest things were camera and support. Google knocks both of those out of the park.

race4life

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't be happier with my switch. Tried the Note 10 Plus and the Note 10 and returned both of them. The 10 plus was just too big for me and the regular 10's battery just didn't hold up. I used the 9+ for a few months and then all of a sudden I couldn't get through a full day on a charge. I sold my 9+ and picked up the 3a XL. I have three things that are important:

1. battery life - 3aXL easily gets me at least 1.5 days). Never realized how important battery life is to me until I had a phone that had to be charged at least once to get through a day.
2. Camera - I don't take a lot of pics but when I do I want the camera to perform, the 3a XL does it.
3. Screen - The 3a xl has a good screen, doesn't hold up to the Samsung but for me it's fine.

Only have had it for about a week but so far I am loving it!!