[Q] Is there gonna be a port of ICS to the OV?

cotylee1991

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Self explanitory title, but I heard they aren't releasing ICS to the Optimus line, so will we at least have a stable build/port?

Sent from my LG Optimus V.
IHO BACKside CM7.2
"Cracker for fun, hacker for LIFE!"

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
1. no "Official" ICS rom will be released by LG or VMusa.

2. CM9 almost certainly WILL be ported to the OV, but it wont be in a "stable" state for a long while, and I'm very certain it wont be fully functional for an even longer while.

3. ICS might "run" on the OVs hardware, but not the way its intended. I'm willing to bet it wont be as fast and slick as 2.3.7 is on the OV.

my reasons for this?

the ISC experience is provided by hardware acceleration, and the Adreno 200 in the OV is a few generations old now. definately not powerful enough for tasks like this. Although maybe it is? who knows.

the really COOL ics features require hardware the OV doesnt even have.

Reactions: notufatjesus

butthead

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Adreno200 can do it. A number of phones with Adreno200 already have ICS ports, so the GPU is capable of rendering nicely.

The problem is developer muscle. The OV has a really small group of people working on it. I hope the CM7 stuff pans out though. I think they should continue optimizing it. I used an Optimus S with the GB OTA and its night and day performance compared to IHO. And I hope they figure out how to merge in the OTA stuff into IHO. I remember the G1 getting hacked up for CM6 and once the MyTouch 3G OTA stuff got merged in it got a massive performance boost.

Not dogging the devs by any means. Don't take offense. I'm just saying they could use more help. If there was more help, then CM9 would be closer to reality.

notufatjesus

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
1. no "Official" ICS rom will be released by LG or VMusa.

2. CM9 almost certainly WILL be ported to the OV, but it wont be in a "stable" state for a long while, and I'm very certain it wont be fully functional for an even longer while.

3. ICS might "run" on the OVs hardware, but not the way its intended. I'm willing to bet it wont be as fast and slick as 2.3.7 is on the OV.

my reasons for this?

the ISC experience is provided by hardware acceleration, and the Adreno 200 in the OV is a few generations old now. definately not powerful enough for tasks like this. Although maybe it is? who knows.

the really COOL ics features require hardware the OV doesnt even have.

I think the greatest OV experience will end at the tracks of the GB system.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I think the greatest OV experience will end at the tracks of the GB system.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Agreed with both of you. Besides, I don't like the new ICS interface, menus, settings, all that. It is too convoluted to me. Blue everything is so annoying. Text should be white or black.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Agreed with both of you. Besides, I don't like the new ICS interface, menus, settings, all that. It is too convoluted to me. Blue everything is so annoying. Text should be white or black.

Agreed. Everyone seems to be raving at how pretty the ics interface is, but personally I think its a little ugly. I mean not that I'm anyone, but I'm a pretty good artist so i know how to make things look goodand I think the Ics interface is worse than the stock gingerbread on my backside rom.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
How soon can jelly bean come out... Theres barely any devices running ICS. The good thing about ICS is that at least Google is admitting that they are trying to make the interface nicer, whereas before it was strictly programmers poor aesthetic governing the interface. No offense anyone;)

bmxrider234

Banned
Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
What ur failing to realize is any great hacker can make anything possible. Sometimes they know they can do it but why when it's not one of their needs. Cm7 has come along way with gingerbread and I hope to see it continue. Why would u need ics when they can make gingerbread so much better than that. I truely hope to see cm7 iho roms surpass ics and maybe even be up there with honeycomb. Keep up the great work iho.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Blue everything is so annoying. Text should be white or black.
Text is supposed to contrast, and it doesn't there.

Amateur (and some pro) web designers are notorious for doing this. For all of Google's manpower, you would think someone would have realized this, along with the fact that blue light isn't good for reading to begin with.

It also amazes me how "industrial" the interface still is, but then almost all they do is that way. It's never really "pretty" and more a matter of form following function.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm hoping they start to rival apple for interface beauty. It can be done easily, they just need art conscious programmers working for them.

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm hoping they start to rival apple for interface beauty. It can be done easily, they just need art conscious programmers working for them.

Well, it is not just art. Apple's underlying rendering technology based on scalable Quartz engine is amazing. The GUI looks almost exactly at the same proportions independent of the screen resolution. Fonts, icons get just grainy or smooth but they retain their physical size and proportions from one device to every other. I can't see text, menus, icons overlapping or out of place in the GUI when the resolution changes. I hope Google is investing in such technologies for the upcoming very-high-resolution displays.

I saw a discussion the other day about very high resolution displays somewhere on a forum. One Windows user was claiming that higher resolutions than 1080P was not useful since everything was getting too small in the GUI. Even after so many years of development Windows does not have anything comparable to Quartz. Again, I hope Google has the vision and resources for doing the GUI right way ... in jelly bean.

Last edited:

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
But for those of us that DO like ICS... personally, I'm a huge fan of the ICS interface. I'm running it on my nook right now, and its quite pretty. I would still love to see a port for the V. I can see changes bring made in the git, but I'm not sure how close its getting. I thought it was pretty close when BobZ posted up pictures of his phone running it, but it been awhile now. Oh well. Let the developers work their magic, I say. They will do what they want, and if they don't want ICS, then learn to do it yourselves. :)

Tapatalkin it from my IHO CM7.1'd, MIUI Themed Optimus V