Removing a formatted SD card?

MrEminent42

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm wondering whether if I format my SD card to my phone, if, in the future, I want to get bigger SD card for example, I can unformat my current SD card then format a new one? Will it be safe to do so?

Can I ever just remove my formatted SD card?

Also, if I Factory Reset the phone, will that unformat the SD card and make it safe to remove?

If I format the SD card, is there any possible way that in the future I can remove the SD card?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The cards can always be reformatted to be used elsewhere; doing so just obviously erases all data that is on it.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
We hope you mean format and not encrypt....! That's a whole new ballgame.. If you factory reset, I'd remove sd and sim prior to doing so.
Personally I'm not a fan of factory resets, they are a last ditch desperate measure of immense inconvenience.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Also, are you talking about cards that you've formatted as Internal Storage (i.e., Adoptable Storage)? This can be trickier if you want to swap the card out in the future, since you've already incorporated it into the phone's internal storage, and apps are fully installed on it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej