Rooting/Unlocking Galaxy Tab 7

shathis

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone, I'm super new to the Android world, but aware of things tangentially through friends.
I came to this site because I was referred by TipB. Proud owner of an iPhone and now prouder owner of a Galaxy Tab 7. I live in Japan but from the USA. While jogging past a used phone shop, I noted a Galaxy Tab 7 used for nearly half the price of it new - so I jumped and grabbed it. Jogged home with it in my backpack!

Now, on to my questions:
It came without a SIM but locked to a local provider known as NTT DoCoMO.
I bought it as a Wifi device, but I'd LIKE to unlock it in case I choose to get a 3G provider for it later.

Tech details:
Galaxy Tab 7.0, known locally as SC-01C, came preinstalled with Android 2.2. Has a provider upgrade to 2.3. It also updates the baseband.
I have not upgraded it yet in worries I might not be able to downgrade if I need to. This is the provider default install.

Searching for how to do this all is VERY hard , and I'm very new to Android, though I am a semi-techie. I used SuperOnesomethingorother to root it. So it's rooted, with Busybox installed.

What I'd like to do:
1. find the latest, GOOD, stable custom rom. I assume there's a 3.0 rom out there somewhere? I don't know honestly what the latest stable rom is for this sort of device.
2. Unlock the device, permanently if I can... though I hear that's unlikely.

Sorry to ask here, it's just there is SO much contradictory information out there. I was hoping an expert here might know the latest info and what to do. thanks so very much. Please post here or PM. I'm cool either way.

Matt :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevincousy