S10 no longer connecting to AA or other external devices

titanium8

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Hello All -

I've been using Android Auto with my S10+ with no issues since it was new. It has always been connected via USB in my car. But as of a few days ago, it will no longer connect. When I plug it in now, I'll get a notification saying 'Android Auto is connecting...' and then it will show 'Can't connect to car screen.'

I've also discovered that I can no longer plug the phone into my USB-C to HDMI adapter to mirror onto a TV. It's not a Samsung adapter, but it's worked perfectly until now. When I plug it in now, I see a notification saying 'The connected USB device isn't supported.' Sometimes if I keep unplugging and reconnecting, the TV will connect, but only for a short time. Then it will give me the above message again.

The phone charges just fine, and my Windows computer will recognize it when connected. It just won't seem to connect to any other kind of external device or screen.

The only software change to the phone just before this was a security patch that I downloaded a few days prior. But I haven't been able to find any others having problems with it. I did have some moisture detected in the USB port a few days before this problem started happening as well - but the phone was never submerged in water and the message cleared within an hour.

Some things I've tried so far:

- Tried a different cable.
- Connected another phone with AA in my car and it connected just fine.
- Deleted all cars in AA, reinstalled.
- Disabled Chrome (due to reports of Chrome causing issues on some phones).
- Cleared USB Settings cache and data.
- Cleaned USB port with a soft toothbrush and compressed air

Could the port be damaged, even though it charges fine and connects to my computer?

Any suggestions for this frustrating problem are greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210629-125500_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20210629-125500_Settings.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 16

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
It sounds like there could be some kind of port damage that may be affecting the pins that output to hdmi and Android auto. I am not sure if it is worth taking to a repair shop for them to check it for you.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Try cleaning the USB port using a can of compressed air to blow it out, and then a dry toothbrush to scrub it.

ronnies62

Sep 22, 2019
Visit site
Try checking to see if your cars headunits firmware is up to date.

I had a ton of problems......
Updated my firmware and problems solved!

titanium8

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
It sounds like there could be some kind of port damage that may be affecting the pins that output to hdmi and Android auto. I am not sure if it is worth taking to a repair shop for them to check it for you.

Thank you. I think I'm gonna take it to a local authorized repair shop. Anyone have their S10 USB port replaced? It's a shame they're soldered in on this phone.

Welcome to Android Central! Try cleaning the USB port using a can of compressed air to blow it out, and then a dry toothbrush to scrub it.

Actually tried that exact combo! The port appears squeaky clean.

Try checking to see if your cars headunits firmware is up to date.

I had a ton of problems......
Updated my firmware and problems solved!

Thanks for the suggestion! Everything is up to date in the car. But I'm also having issues with other external devices, so it's not just Android Auto.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Try going into settings >apps>system apps>find usb settings and tap >clear it's data and force close it

Jell Lee

May 27, 2021
Visit site
The port should be able to be swapped, whether it's the sole part by itself or that PCB sitting on the lower half of the phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali