S23 ultra signal strength

sdk62

Feb 25, 2023
Visit site
Is there something I can do to get better signal strength on my s23 ultra. I just changed from iPhone. My coverage isn’t great I am between two mountains but my iPhone at least had one bar and could text I could walk out on my porch and make a call. My Samsung is lousy with signals. It stays at no coverage the majority of the time. I wanted to know if there is a setting that will help this. I hate to have to change back to my iPhone but I do live in a rural area and would like to have some service

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Not really. Unless you want to get a signal booster. Also this should be in the galaxy 23 forum.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Given that you're almost certain you have signal, from the other phone, a signal booster will likely solve this (or simply just use WiFi calling, assuming you have a decent internet connection - one that's not your phone as a hotspot... ;)
It's easier to stick to name-brand stuff, like Surecall, SolidRF, and a few others, if you want to avoid the "box that does almost nothing but was 30% less than the bulk of 'em), I use one for travel and it's GREAT, *IF* (big, big IF) you have a signal there, that's just weak. It can't amplify/"make" a signal where there isn't one, this is where some confusion seems to come from, with these (legit ones) devices, IME/IMO.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Is there something I can do to get better signal strength on my s23 ultra. I just changed from iPhone. My coverage isn’t great I am between two mountains but my iPhone at least had one bar and could text I could walk out on my porch and make a call. My Samsung is lousy with signals. It stays at no coverage the majority of the time. I wanted to know if there is a setting that will help this. I hate to have to change back to my iPhone but I do live in a rural area and would like to have some service

As someone said already, try using WiFi calling, if you have decent Internet that should fix your issue.

There also cell boosters you can get, but they are spendy if you get a good one. I know people that use weBoost. They all praise it. You might want to look at that option also. That would work for your iphone also and probably wouldn't have to go outside to make calls. All these do is boost a signal you have, it doesn't create one. They make boosters for home and autos and are wireless.

Try the wifi calling if you haven't yet. It's in settings, then select connections

Sent from my SM-X800 using Tapatalk

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Are you looking at the bars or the actual signal strength ?

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Yep, excellent point.
There's a great free app called "Network Cell Info Lite", that will give you real dBm values, so you can be comparing apples-to-apples, and not "what's one bar on an iOS device, or my S23, or ..." (I have zero relation to them, other than I recommend their app quite often, for these cases). Just make sure you use the power-symbol to exit the app, when done, it can be tough on background usage...

WiFi calling is the total deal, if you've got solid wired connectivity, and a decent routing setup, this is how almost 100% of the calls work at my home these past few years. Some carriers limit this access (not TMo, cough, cough, they allow it on pretty much any capable phone, hmm), to certain phones, but this is unlikely to apply in this scenario (the S23 is generally allowed across most, and some MVNOs).

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Yep, excellent point.
There's a great free app called "Network Cell Info Lite", that will give you real dBm values, so you can be comparing apples-to-apples, and not "what's one bar on an iOS device, or my S23, or ..." (I have zero relation to them, other than I recommend their app quite often, for these cases). Just make sure you use the power-symbol to exit the app, when done, it can be tough on background usage...

WiFi calling is the total deal, if you've got solid wired connectivity, and a decent routing setup, this is how almost 100% of the calls work at my home these past few years. Some carriers limit this access (not TMo, cough, cough, they allow it on pretty much any capable phone, hmm), to certain phones, but this is unlikely to apply in this scenario (the S23 is generally allowed across most, and some MVNOs).
From reading what they are saying, I'm guessing they are going by usage. They said they can use their iphone outside for talking and inside they can text, with S23U they can't do any of it. I know they didn't say directly no signal, but one would think they are going by how it works in real life.

Either way, the signal meter is not important here IMO, the iPhone works and the S23U does not, so in their case the iPhone has better reception. They are going to have to use WiFi calling if they have good internet, get a booster of some sort, or go back to the iPhone. Getting a signal app won't tell them anything they already don't know.

I can tell you I go by using in real life. I drive the same area all the time, the S23U has lost its signal in a area a few times that my fold never does. I mean it it had no service. The S22U also dropped calls in the same area like clock work, the fold does not. The S series seems to have weaker antennas for some reason, and with the S23U actually having no service for a bit seems to tell me the antenna is worse on the S23U. I don't go by the signal meter, I go by real life usage as I travel the same areas all the time and that's going to be the best test for signal strength. The fold never give me a issue in this area. I don't understand the difference since they both are the same company.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
What carrier do you have? Are there any other carriers with better coverage where you live?

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Either way, the signal meter is not important here IMO, the iPhone works and the S23U does not, so in their case the iPhone has better reception. They are going to have to use WiFi calling if they have good internet, get a booster of some sort, or go back to the iPhone. Getting a signal app won't tell them anything they already don't know.

I can tell you I go by using in real life. I drive the same area all the time, the S23U has lost its signal in a area a few times that my fold never does. I mean it it had no service. The S22U also dropped calls in the same area like clock work, the fold does not. The S series seems to have weaker antennas for some reason, and with the S23U actually having no service for a bit seems to tell me the antenna is worse on the S23U. I don't go by the signal meter, I go by real life usage as I travel the same areas all the time and that's going to be the best test for signal strength. The fold never give me a issue in this area. I don't understand the difference since they both are the same company.

Yep, either way using WiFi calling (preferred in cases like this, IMHO/IME), or a booster will do the trick, since there's signal, as mentioned.
I think getting an idea of your relative signal strength location is handy, still, particularly if you're going with a booster, it will help to know where to locate the external-receiving antenna for the booster.

Similarly, if you're adding an access-point (or two or whatever) to your system, for better WiFi coverage, again a signal-strength meter is by far the best way to locate/tune things, IME (I've done quite a few of these for friends/relatives and such).

It's likely the S23's construction that's the issue, or (less likely) the antenna placement/design. Glass-back phones generally do better here, and the way the frame is constructed matters, too, manufacturers often have to trade strength/rigidity against signal strength, since most metals are great at blocking signal... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d