S7 Edge usb fast charge not working, wireless does

arundc

May 3, 2010
Visit site
So for about 3 weeks now, the fast charge through the USB isn't working...charges slow like 6 hours to full charge from the single digits. The phone display does not say, "Fast charging...".

Wireless fast charge works like it should.

I've tried using multiple Samsung fast charge adaptors with the cables they provided, and no luck. If I connect one of these adaptors/cables to the wireless charging module, there are no issues with fast charging.

So I've now deduced that there's something wrong with the micro USB port on the phone itself. Is this a true assessment? Does this warrant the phone being swapped through warranty? The unit was purchased around release date.

Thank you all...

Vinman911

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Make sure in SETTINGS/BATTERY that both the Fast cable charging and Fast wireless charging is on.

For some reason i had the same issue (wouldn't fast charge via the USB cable with Fast charging adaptor) and had to turn on Fast wireless charging for it to work.

Also the correct gauge of USB wire is needed for fast charging to work. Use the OEM one that came with your phone or for sure that is thick.

arundc

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Both fast charging options are On, under Settings / Battery and I am using the cables that came with the phone. I have multiple Samsung branded fast charging adaptors (3) that came with two S7 Edges in the household and the Samsung QC 2.0 wireless charging stand.

The phone is only fast charging wirelessly.

japhule

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Both fast charging options are On, under Settings / Battery and I am using the cables that came with the phone. I have multiple Samsung branded fast charging adaptors (3) that came with two S7 Edges in the household and the Samsung QC 2.0 wireless charging stand.

The phone is only fast charging wirelessly.
What about using other other cables? I've had bad original Samsung cables before.

arundc

May 3, 2010
Visit site
6 hours is too slow even for regular charging. I'm guessing there's something wrong with your port.

Thank you! That's what I'm thinking too but wanted to be absolutely sure before I call Samsung. The phone is just over 6 months old. Is the warranty something like a year?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Thank you! That's what I'm thinking too but wanted to be absolutely sure before I call Samsung. The phone is just over 6 months old. Is the warranty something like a year?
Depends on where you are but in most countries I do think warranty is a year. In my countrt Samsung USB ports are 4USD then another 4USD for repair at the official repair center.

xwarz

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site

Hi,
I have the same exact problem.
I have even purchased another fast charger from samsung just to proof that the original charger was not faulty.
It does fast charging on wireless but not via cable even though the same charger was connected to the wireless charger.
I have heard that this occurs to some people after the last phone update but i cant confirm on that.
I'm planning to do hard reset just to see if that will fix the problem.
Do let me know if you find the solution.
Thanks.

arundc

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
I have the same exact problem.
I have even purchased another fast charger from samsung just to proof that the original charger was not faulty.
It does fast charging on wireless but not via cable even though the same charger was connected to the wireless charger.
I have heard that this occurs to some people after the last phone update but i cant confirm on that.
I'm planning to do hard reset just to see if that will fix the problem.
Do let me know if you find the solution.
Thanks.

I've just got too much loaded up on the phone to do a hard reset. I was planning to do it when I get some time. Please let me know what happens after you do. I'll keep the thread posted. I was going to call Samsung sometime this week.

xwarz

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
after back-up my whole phone, and perform factory reset, my phone still wont fast charge via cable..
perhaps there is something wrong with the charging port on my phone then..
this is frustrating but i guess i'm going to pay a visit to samsung center for further check-up.

good luck to you OP.
hopefully you find an easier fix to this.

jfs101

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I noticed this after the last OTA update... Is there something going on with the batteries on the S7 edge that they took an approach similar with what they did with the Note 7?

Mine is not fast charging and it's taking almost 7 hours to fill up. At least that's what it says.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I noticed this after the last OTA update... Is there something going on with the batteries on the S7 edge that they took an approach similar with what they did with the Note 7?

Mine is not fast charging and it's taking almost 7 hours to fill up. At least that's what it says.
No it's broken. Normal nonfast charging should take 2hrs tops.

arundc

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I've found that the only recourse is to report a factory warranty request. But because of the Note 7 debacle, the S7s being the next go to choice - exchanges are back ordered at least a month.

HMBgal

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Wanted to jump in here for an update. I walked into a VZW store in San Jose (Westgate) and told them my problem. They looked up number, popped the SIM card out, showed that indeed the message I was getting every time I tried to use the USB port (check your port, moisture detected) was wrong because the sticker was white. She didn't even plug it in to see the message for herself. She said "What's your address? You'll have a new (refurb) phone in 48 hours." I got the phone in 24 hours, no charge, and so far, it's perfect. Whole thing took 5 minutes. Booyah! I'm genuinely surprised. I was fully prepared to go completely wireless all the time for the duration of this phone's ownership. But I thought "Why should I have to do that? It's inconvenient as hell." So, I asked and I got.

Kiet189

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
So for about 3 weeks now, the fast charge through the USB isn't working...charges slow like 6 hours to full charge from the single digits. The phone display does not say, "Fast charging...".

I've tried using multiple Samsung fast charge adaptors with the cables they provided, and no luck. If I connect one of these adaptors/cables to the wireless charging module, there are no issues with fast charging.

So I've now deduced that there's something wrong with the micro USB port on the phone itself. Is this a true assessment? Does this warrant the phone being swapped through warranty? The unit was purchased around release date.

Thank you all...

I've had a similar problem but my phone did display "fast charging" but it wasn't!

Email Samsung support about it and they wanted proof of purchase so they can validate my warranty...I was confused as this phone hasn't been out for a year yet so, it should be but they guy demanded a proof of purchase or they cannot send me out an replacement.

Lost my receipt so had to email CPW and ask them to email me my purchase record so, I can send it to them.

They got back to me but made me wait for 5 days before shipping me a brand new charger. And the wire is slightly longer, on this one which is a bonus.
If you've got proof of purchase, try emailing them and go with that route to see if they will send you one!

Keep me posted.

arundc

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks all. When you call Samsung, they either put you on hold or pass you on an endless web of transfers. I am going to visit a Samsung kiosk at a Best Buy and see if the exchange can happen sooner.

Ezzy F

Oct 7, 2017
Visit site

Thank you all...

You are correct I also had the fast charging problem. When I checked there was a whole load of lint in the charging port of the phone. I just sharpened a tooth pick and dug out the lint. Works like a charm now.