Samsung A02s, Not Receiving Gmail Notifications All Of A Sudden!

Dayvidpriddy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey,

I'm running the Gmail app on my A02s and have always gotten E-Mail notifications (audio wise) for new E-Mails. For some reason, the other day, the notifications stopped coming in and only work when the phone is plugged in/charging or when the screen is awake. If the phone us not plugged in or in sleep mode, I don't get Gmail notifications anymore. As soon as I wake the screen up, the notifications hit the phone instantly. I haven't changed a thing on the device.

I got extremely frustrated with this the other night and did a total factor reset/restore, still having the same issue. Any ideas? I'm a loss here why something would work right since February (when I bought this as a backup device for having around the house) and now all of a sudden, the Gmail notifications don't work anymore!

Thanks (very frustrated:)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you have any power saving modes turned on? That kind of thing might turn off certain apps in the background, and therefore any notifications they might give. It might also explain why it works when you plug the phone into a wall outlet.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Have you looked at the notification settings in Gmail as well as General Settings?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Dayvidpriddy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't have the above screenshot you have on my device. I have "Allow background activity" (it's turned ON), "optimize battery usage (when I press this there is no Gmail app showing but all apps are set to NOT optimize battery (in other words they are all turned off). I've attached screenshots. Before I reset the phone, I never even went into this, everything worked fine.

Screenshot_20221020-202611_Settings.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221020-202631_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20221020-202631_Settings.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 1

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I don't have the above screenshot you have on my device. I have "Allow background activity" (it's turned ON), "optimize battery usage (when I press this there is no Gmail app showing but all apps are set to NOT optimize battery (in other words they are all turned off). I've attached screenshots. Before I reset the phone, I never even went into this, everything worked fine.

View attachment 349478
If you tap optimize battery what menu comes up? What Android version you on?

Dayvidpriddy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
When I tap optimize battery that second screenshot is what comes up, none of the apps are optimized for battery (they are all off as you can see).

When I go to settings/about phone/software information it says; "Android 11." This ain't no top of the line Samsung device as you probably know, but I've never had this Gmail notification issue before until just over the past week or so now. I use this phone for "personal" reasons, it's not my main device, but I'd like to get audio notifications when new E-Mails hit the device. Unless it's plugged in or the screen happens to be on when an E-Mail comes in, I don't get any notifications on it (now).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred