News Samsung plans to charge for certain Galaxy AI features after two years

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
On the one hand, this is total bull. On the other, I don't really blame them because currently that stuff isn't cheap to run.

I guess they've got 2 years to prove the features are indispensable.

Reactions: BEaRebel

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
Are any of the "AIs" on phones and via browsers really that great yet? Sure, they all kind of work as glorified search engine assistants or even as device/personal assistants. However, is anyone yet really using them for other stuff, with really good success? Maybe i'm missing something.

Reactions: Stanley Kubrick

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Are any of the "AIs" on phones and via browsers really that great yet? Sure, they all kind of work as glorified search engine assistants or even as device/personal assistants. However, is anyone yet really using them for other stuff, with really good success? Maybe i'm missing something.
The demo at Unpacked did have some genuinely nice looking features, to be honest. Mostly the summarisation stuff. We've seen the webpage summary from the Pixel before and the ability to summarise and question a PDF can be built as a GPT module, but having it built in is very nice. The Samsung notes one though is going to be hugely useful for a lot of people I suspect. Honestly, if it can just read and correct my handwriting the phone is worth it just for that haha.

Reactions: BerryBubbles

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
NEVER! I don't use any assistant crap even now! I will NEVER pay a monthly subscription for what is CLEARLY a money grab! I don't want to hear how much it costs to run this stuff! This company is flush with money up the BUTT! They can wipe their A$$e$ with hundred dollar bills right now! No way Jose!

Reactions: Joshua Luther1

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
NEVER! I don't use any assistant crap even now! I will NEVER pay a monthly subscription for what is CLEARLY a money grab! I don't want to hear how much it costs to run this stuff! This company is flush with money up the BUTT! They can wipe their A$$e$ with hundred dollar bills right now! No way Jose!
You seem to be very angry about it for someone who has no interest lol

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
You seem to be very angry about it for someone who has no interest lol
I'm not angry...just tired of having to fight to NOT be ripped off at every turn. You see here's what's going to happen...we get used to using these features....no doubt they will even improve them over the next two years...you know just like a drug dealer improves the purity of the smack...then once we're addicted to a feature they stick it to us...LOCK up the feature on YOUR phone...you know, the one you paid and arm-and-a-leg-for....and you wake up one day and all of a sudden something you have relied upon for two years STOPS WORKING!
No, I'm not angry.....

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm not angry...just tired of having to fight to NOT be ripped off at every turn. You see here's what's going to happen...we get used to using these features....no doubt they will even improve them over the next two years...you know just like a drug dealer improves the purity of the smack...then once we're addicted to a feature they stick it to us...LOCK up the feature on YOUR phone...you know, the one you paid and arm-and-a-leg-for....and you wake up one day and all of a sudden something you have relied upon for two years STOPS WORKING!
No, I'm not angry.....
Well, you aren't wrong to be fair.

Except about the smack lol.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, you aren't wrong to be fair.

Except about the smack lol.
Yeah I know, the smack gets cut more and more and diluted...not a good analogy for sure...but I hope the point is getting across because already there are a number of hands on reviews on the "tube" and everyone is just giddy over the AI stuff! Truly a sad situation.

Reactions: fuzzylumpkin

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
This is probably the future unfortunately. Features that are on your phone that are only available if you pay for a subscription. It's total bull and if that's where android and specifically Samsung are headed, I'll be switching to iOS. Assuming they don't go the same way. Of course that's the extreme and I probably won't switch.

We're already paying a premium for "extra" features on the Ultra or Pro Max phones. Why do they see the need to lock those down further behind a subscription paywall?

This is a situation that will further cause the rich to get richer off the backs of the middle class. Unsuspecting and ignorant people, no disrespect, will pay for it because they don't think they have a choice or think they need those features.

I'm also just getting tired of everything going subscription based. Look at how both Apple and Google charge us to backup photos and videos when we could invest a whole lot less money to back them up to a Nas or ssds at home. But we pay for cloud subscription services out of convenience and accessibility. People were all up in arms about google taking away free unlimited photo backups on Google photos using a Pixel. Now we're just used to paying for it.

I get it. I love the convenience of cloud based solutions that we have to pay for. But not everyone does. I know people who are online content creators who specifically use Nas servers to back up their content. Obviously they have terabytes and terabytes of content that it makes more sense to use a Nas or ssds. And there's no compressing of the media when it's backed up.

Frog in the pot analogy though when it comes to companies introducing these subscription based services.

Reactions: Stanley Kubrick

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
I use hard drives and scheduled task manager (windows) robocopy .bat scripts for a significant portion of backup needs locally, and I'm just an average Joe wanting to ensure family photos don't get lost. It's really not that hard. With windows shares its pretty easy to basically setup a local "nas like" arrangement on one's local wifi. If one really wants, one can even cross overlap some local windows folders for back up also as "cloud" folders using the likes of things like OneDrive, GoogleDrive, etc.. if one really thinks one needs "some" files accessible everywhere even when not at home. One thing that irks me is the way we've basically defaulted into a mode of just always having to be cloud connected and dependant. It's just sustaining the need for massive expensive data plans.

Reactions: Joshua Luther1

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I use hard drives and scheduled task manager (windows) robocopy .bat scripts for a significant portion of backup needs locally, and I'm just an average Joe wanting to ensure family photos don't get lost. It's really not that hard. With windows shares its pretty easy to basically setup a local "nas like" arrangement on one's local wifi. If one really wants, one can even cross overlap some local windows folders for back up also as "cloud" folders using the likes of things like OneDrive, GoogleDrive, etc.. if one really thinks one needs "some" files accessible everywhere even when not at home. One thing that irks me is the way we've basically defaulted into a mode of just always having to be cloud connected and dependant. It's just sustaining the need for massive expensive data plans.
Hate to break it to ya, but if you were one before, you stopped being an average Joe when you learned how to use batch files.

Running your own NAS is certainly a good option for some, although it is worth remembering that only having local copies of files is risky in and of itself (if you are just using hard disks connected to a PC for example, you only need to have your PSU go bad in the wrong way and everything is gone ). But even a lot of techies find they are just more hassle to manage than they're worth, and they have a relatively high initial setup cost.

Last edited:

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
Hate to break it to ya, but if you were one before, you stopped being an average Joe when you learned how to use batch files.

Running your own NAS is certainly a good option for some, although it is worth remembering that only having local copies of files is risky in and of itself (if you are just using hard disks connected to a PC for example, you only need to have your PSU go bad in the wrong way and everything is gone ). But even a lot of techies find they are just more hassle to manage than they're worth, and they have a relatively high initial setup cost.
I've had a few drives crap out on me over the years. Always wise to never have everything on only one single hard drive. Robocopy works well to keep sync between primary, secondary, backups. Yes, if one's residence burns down then risk of loosing things that are physical. However, additional strategies can also be used.

Yeah I guess I'm not an average Joe, but certainly not either an online content creator with TBs and TBs. However, enough that I don't want to have to find ways to sync all of it always up and down from a cloud.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

I use one local backup and two cloud backups (Google and Microsoft).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d