Security question: Device Crashed and sudden security update

JohnNewick21

Oct 23, 2022
Visit site
Dear all,

Help needed! Yesterday while driving back to my home and listening to yt music via my car's bluetooth, suddenly my phone froze and crashed. After a hard reset (power button) suddenly a new security update appeared. Unfortunately in unconditional reflex action I pressed update button and the whole 3.2GB system package has been downloaded and updated in phone. Unfortunately after this fact reflection came ..what a strange coincidence a phone crash + update.. hmmm.. interesting. Maybe its my imagination, but it would be a perfect way to take over the device with all the things inside. Are you aware of anything or should I be afraid? Additional surprise is that the update says it is for September (its already somewhere at the end of October now!) and even my wallpapers were updated.
My device Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro/ MIUI Global 13.0.15.0(SKFEUXM), more data will follow if required,

Any help strongly appreciated!

Thanks
John

Madd62

Mr. Wonderful
May 31, 2021
Visit site
I don't see too much wrong with your scenario. I vaguely remember only about 2 or 3 times where my screen froze in 2 years, though I don't stream via Bluetooth.

I presume you just powered off and then on (rebooted) rather than a factory reset /wipe via both buttons in Recovery Mode.

After a certain new period, afaik, you can start getting Security updates included with a MIUI update, even if it's a small update, bug fix/minor improvements It change from say 13.01 to 13.04xxx.
I currently have 13.0.5.xx on one and 13.0.4 on another, having updated from 13.0.1x and 12.5. Security and Play system patches can still arrive separately.

Security updates can start to stretch to 3 month intervals.

**That did seem like a biggish update so maybe you were on MIUI 12.5xx before, or it's fairly new to you and it just had version 12.5 out of the box.*

It may be that your Redmi was set to update automatically in Settings.
I have two Xiaomi phones (Mi and Poco 2020 models) and I wouldn't remember if that's the default setting.
I like to check for updates manually, as it gives me a thrill and I'm weird like that.

When a MIUI UI update is available it would also notify you on the screen; same with Xiaomi / MIUI System App uodates. I manually search anyway.

The Google Play system update and Security update I check via Passwords and Security - Privacy.

My Poco F2 has the 1 September updates for Google Play System and Security, while my Mi 10 Lite 5G still has a 1 May Security patch with a 1 September Google Play System update, although it's not on very often.
(It may have reached the end of the road for security but I hope not yet)

Try checking if the Google Play System will update manually.
If you just had a major UI update (that was large iirc) it's possible the Security patch will update shortly after, but while I do remember I would previously get a current month update after the 15th of that month - eg showing 1 October in the second half of October, generally it has been showing the previous month for both updates for quite a while and I'm okay with that.

Take it from me, Chinese prisons - I mean Educational Enlightenment Facilities - are not half bad if you can get to like noodles, and I'm heartily sorry for sending feedback that was less than wholly complimentary to Xiaomi's wonderful CS. :)

I'm very happy with the overall experience, and have had no issues except for several months delay waiting for the big MIUI 13 and Android 12 update causing my other patches being 6 months behind at one point, and causing Google connection issues.

Any questions or responses just let us know. The other member @B.Diddy
mentioned, @dangerousfen, has greater knowledge so may assist more.

**ADDED : One of my MIUI 13 updates after the initial one was 3.4Gb so likely you had 13 already. I cannot post screenshots on the system atm.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I don't see too much wrong with your scenario. I vaguely remember only about 2 or 3 times where my screen froze in 2 years, and I don't stream via Bluetooth.

I presume you just powered off and then on (rebooted) rather than a factory reset /wipe via both buttons in Recovery Mode.

After a certain new period, afaik, you then start getting Security updates included with a MIUI update, even if it's a small update, bug fix/minor improvements It change from say 13.01 to 13.04xxx. I currently have 13.0.5.xx on one and 13.0.4 on another, having updated from 13.0.1x and 12.5. Security and Play system patches can still arrive separately.

Security updates can start to stretch to 3 month intervals

That did seem like a biggish update so maybe you were on MIUI 12.5xx before, or it's fairly new to you and it just had version 12.5 out of the box.

It may be that your Redmi was set to update automatically in Settings.
I have two Xiaomi phones (Mi and Poco 2020 models) and I wouldn't remember if that's the default setting.
I like to check for updates manually, as it gives me a thrill and I'm weird like that.

When a MIUI UI update is available it would also notify you on the screen; same wirh System App uodates. I manually search anyway.
The Google Play system update and Security update I check via Passwords and Security - Privacy.

My Poco F2 has the 1 September updates for Google Play System and Security, while my Mi 10 Lite 5G still has a 1 May Security patch with a 1 September Google Play System update, although it's not on very often.
(It may have reached the end of the road but I hope not yet)
Try checking if the Google Play System will update manually. If you just had a major UI update (that was large iirc) it's possible the Security patch will update shortly after, but while I do remember I would get a current month update after the 15th of that month - eg showing 1 October in the second half of October, generally it has been showing the previous month for both updates for quite a while and I'm okay with that.

Take it from me, Chinese prisons - I mean Educational Enlightenment Facilities - are not half bad if you can get to like noodles, and I'm heartily sorry for sending feedback that was less than wholly complimentary to Xiaomi's wonderful CS. :)

I'm very happy with the overall experience, and have had no issues except for several months delay waiting for the big MIUI 13 and Android 12 update causing my other patches being 6 months behind at one point, and causing Google connection issues.

Any questions or responses just let us know. The other member @B.Diddy
mentioned, @dangerousfen, has greater knowledge so may assist more.

ADDED : One of my MIUI 13 updates after the initial one was 3.4Gb so likely you had 13 already. I cannot post screenshots on the system atm.
Screenshots try Tapatalk or IMGUR for now until its fixed

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using AC Forums mobile app

JohnNewick21

Oct 23, 2022
Visit site
Hello,

Thank for your answers ;)
Yes it got rebooted only. It was literally the first time it crashed and in its lifetime, in addition, the update instantly appeared which is also something happening not very often ;-). That's why my suspicion was that maybe somebody overloaded any buffer resulting in exchanging the update server credentials and then triggering it to replace the software with a modified one ;-). It may be also only my imagination :).

Thanks & Regards,
Piotr

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'd chalk it up to coincidence. Who knows, maybe the reason it crashed was addressed in the update?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali