Sense 3.0

Shempster

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't count on either phone getting it. From what I understand, HTC has a history of not upgrading Sense. Also, ATT/Verizon would have to be on board with this. Don't get me wrong, I hope we all get it but...

RedneckBB

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Good point. The way at@t pushes any kind of update is ridiculous.
Case in point, after hearing my old bold 9700 was going to get OS6
I waited and waited and..... waited some more. I gave up and jumped ship
And went over to android. Makes me wonder if and when HTC releases
The software fix for 4g to be enabled, when will we ever see that happen.
Doubts start to set in. :(

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Makes me wonder if and when HTC releases
The software fix for 4g to be enabled, when will we ever see that happen.

The update is coming from AT&T and has been promised to come in April. All it will allegedly be is the uncapping of HSUPA. They can't "enable 4G" because they have no 4G network. HSPA+ is a 3G technology. The sooner people realize that and start hammering AT&T by way of the BBB (and all the other carriers advertising 4G that they don't have, for that matter), the sooner we will be getting updates to unleash the true power of these devices.

clintrojan

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
The update is coming from AT&T and has been promised to come in April. All it will allegedly be is the uncapping of HSUPA. They can't "enable 4G" because they have no 4G network. HSPA+ is a 3G technology. The sooner people realize that and start hammering AT&T by way of the BBB (and all the other carriers advertising 4G that they don't have, for that matter), the sooner we will be getting updates to unleash the true power of these devices.

Actually the BBB can't do anything about it. The FCC (I believe) classifies 4G as anything faster than the origional 3G speeds. It use to be speed's slightly less than current LTE speeds or faster.

Now "3G+" is considered 4G, at least legally speaking. If the classification of 4G never changed than it would be a case of false advertisement.

RedneckBB

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

At@t could have saved themselve's one huge headache and called it a 3g "plus" device instead of 4g. what were they thinking.:-\

killingwthasmile

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
At@t could have saved themselve's one huge headache and called it a 3g "plus" device instead of 4g. what were they thinking.:-\

It's very simple what AT&T and their marketing people were thinking. "We need to compete with Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobil, and Metro PCS which are all offering smart phones on their "4G" network".

If they marketed the Inspire and Atrix as 3G+ then a month later Verizon comes out with the Thunderbolt on the all new 4G LTE network people would be going F**K 3G+ I want 4G!

Its obvious that most consumers don't know a thing about network and cell towers. I can't tell you how many times at work i heard people talking about the iPhone 4G when it first came out because of AT&T and Apple stupidly marketing the 2nd and 3rd generation devices as 3G and 3GS.

If you're really upset about it don't take it out on the cell companies, take it out on the consumers that want the next best thing but have no idea what they're talking about or what that next best thing actually is / does.

Shempster

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
There's an update on the home page as to the original subject of the post. HTC has said that Sense 3.0 will not be coming to anything already out & not even on the Incredible 2 for hardware reasons.

Doesn't really bother me much. I don't want or need a GUI that eats that much system resources. Do they think people just want to look at the pretty interfaces, or actually use the phones?

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Here's a statement from the ITU from their December meeting:

Following a detailed evaluation against stringent technical and operational criteria, ITU has determined that “LTE-Advanced” and “WirelessMAN-Advanced” should be accorded the official designation of IMT-Advanced. As the most advanced technologies currently defined for global wireless mobile broadband communications, IMT-Advanced is considered as “4G”, although it is recognized that this term, while undefined, may also be applied to the forerunners of these technologies, LTE and WiMax, and to other evolved 3G technologies providing a substantial level of improvement in performance and capabilities with respect to the initial third generation systems now deployed. The detailed specifications of the IMT-Advanced technologies will be provided in a new ITU-R Recommendation expected in early 2012.

Read between the lines and you'll see that all the current technologies do not meet the 4G standard, but due to all the carriers misuse of the term, the ITU was basically forced to acknowledge existing enhanced networks as undefined "4G". Hooray for marketing!

It would be like car maufacturers making a more powerful 6 cylinder engine and calling it the "new 8 cylinder", or maybe "8C"

KCMike

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Read between the lines and you'll see that all the current technologies do not meet the 4G standard, but due to all the carriers misuse of the term, the ITU was basically forced to acknowledge existing enhanced networks as undefined "4G". Hooray for marketing!

Marketing, indeed!

So this begs the question - Which devices out now (or coming out) are truly 4G? And I'm defining 4G as 14.4 Mbps.

Silas0220

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
So this begs the question - Which devices out now (or coming out) are truly 4G?

THAT begs the question - What is truly 4G? Good luck answering -that- one, lol.

EDIT: Okay, you fixed that quickly. We're still dealing with the difference between theoretical speeds and actual speeds. Our Inspires are theoretically capable of hitting speeds like that. Who here has seen it?

Last edited:

Silas0220

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Anyone on LTE -ought- to be able to consistently hit those speeds, IF they have LTE rolled out in their area. HSPA+ -should- be able to get those speeds on a somewhat regular basis, but again, only if the infrastructure is rolled out. And AT&T is giving us NO decent way to know who has what infrastructure.

KCMike

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
So the Thunderbolt & the Verizon line-up.

The speeds I have now aren't bad but it'll be cool to see actual HSPA+ on the Inspire. I wonder if we'll get hosed & never get the upgrade.

Sense 3.0? - no
Amazon Market? - no
HSPA+? - no

Silas0220

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It's not an upgrade. People are getting HSPA+ and HSUPA confused. Our phones are capable of HSPA+ RIGHT NOW - the network isn't. Once AT&T builds the network up, we'll be just fine. That, however, could take forever. I still don't have 3G at many places around here.

HSUPA is upload speeds, and that's what the "update" is supposed to fix. If they push that through, we'll see upload speeds in the 1.5mbps range. That'll actually make the phone feel faster, you'd be surprised how often you're uploading for little things (web browsing and stuff, you have to send the requests to the servers).

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Our Inspires are theoretically capable of hitting speeds like that. Who here has seen it?

I've seen those speeds...on my home wifi network! Overall I'm not too upset with the speeds because I knew AT&T was full of crap about having 4G speeds before I got the device. I did expect it to be faster than my wifes iPhone 3Gs, though. What's funny is when I run the speedtest app on both, my Inspire actually finishes well before the iPhone but the results are roughly the same. So the speed increase is all processor and nothing to do with the network.