Show AA Screen Automatically at Start

J Wadle

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
Since I began using AA on my Pixel XL with my 2016 VW MIB II system, I've been trying to find a way to have the AA screen come up automatically at startup, i.e. when the system is turned on with the phone already connected, or when the phone is connected later.

Yesterday, I came across a brief post by member pinnewip in the XDA Developers Forums that solves this problem: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=71367817.

To expand on his description, here's how it's done (in AA version 2.3.716604):

1) On your phone, start the Android Auto app (not connected to your car)
2) On the AA Home screen, select the hamburger (3 bar) menu on the upper left
3) Select "About"
4) At the top of the screen, tap the words "Android Auto" 10 times in succession.
A pop up will confirm that Developer Mode is enabled.
5) Select the three-dot menu on the upper right
6) Select "Developer settings"
7) Scroll down to "Request video focus on start" and check it on
8) Return to the Home screen and then exit AA

With this option set, AA will force its Home screen (or the last AA screen you were on) to come up on your car's display. No need to press Menu or other car buttons to bring up AA.

This works perfectly on my phone-car combination. I'd be interested to know if it works on other configurations as well.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a lot of work to patch the poor design of your in-car head unit.

On my MB GLA 250, it has the option to auto launch AA whenever the phone is connected. Once you check that box, it does exactly what you wanted it to do.

It seems VW/Audi still have a long way to go for AA. Last I heard, 2017 Audi A3 still has Google Maps screen displayed upside down.

Sailindawg

May 10, 2012
Visit site
@OP

I didn't know there was a developer mode for AA. I just use AA with my phone in my car, no head unit. I have a Nexus 6 & is kind of laggy about auto starting when I connect to the car bluetooth device. This helps to auto start AA a bit more consistently.

Thanks for posting this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali