Slowness after 2 years S21 Ultra

dlcpa

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
It's now 2 years since I got my s21 ultra from AT&T with very lousy 5G results for a phone that's $1,400. Pretty pathetic. There are times when I go into Facebook and there I replies to open and I hate it nothing happens so I have to shut all the open programs down and go back in and I'm able to link to the reply. There are longer pauses now and the phone just doesn't have the zip that it used to have. My fear is that the only thing to do in that case is to a factory reset and I hate that. Also after 2 years the battery is starting to wear down quicker and I am wondering if there's a video anywhere I'm replacing the battery for the s21 ultra. I do have insurance with AT&T so maybe I can have them replace it I don't know what the standards are or how long they take because I don't want to send the phone away and have to wait 2 weeks to get it back. That doesn't work for me. My last phone was an LG v40 and the battery on that one expanded and expanded and it's got to be replaced. I bought a new battery for it but I haven't had time to install it. I can do that one I don't know that I can do the s21 ultra.

So are you all finding this slowness also two years out ? The data speeds I'm getting are just dreadful and sometimes it's impossible to send a text message. When you call AT&T they say all you need is 10 megabytes a second which is complete BS, otherwise why we spending so much money for phones?

I used to use the Android Central app but I guess that doesn't exist anymore and the only way to get back on here is through the web.

It's good to be back here.
Dlcpa

Screenshot_20230822_121523_Speedtest.jpg

Last edited:

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Have you tried a cache partition wipe? Then follow that up with the repair apps option in the same recovery mode as the partition wipe, just down at the bottom of the list.

Then use the Galaxy App Booster from Good Guardians in the Galaxy App Store. That's going to be fairly close to what a factory reset would do for you... you'd be surprised 😉

Also if you have lots of apps installed they can start to take a toll on battery life and phone speed over time. Especially as they update and get bigger and more battery and CPU intensive. I'd dump any you don't use regularly.

Also 5G is notorious for having wildly varying speeds... get the Samsung Band Selector from the Google Play Store, and use it to switch to 4G/LTE only and see if you're speeds improve.

You can always switch back and forth between the 2 to get the best speeds for the area you're in.

And welcome back 👍😀

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Are you talking about lag in the phone? or is this just an issue with 5G?

If the former, follow what JDubbs said. If the latter, the problem is most likely just that 5G is... you know... a bit of a scam.

vader4633

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Mine still running good after over 2.5 years. I do at least one factory reset every year to keep things fresh. Smart switch is awesome. Almost traded it for the s23 ultra but glad I waited. Might bite on the 24 ultra if samsung has good trade in values.

jbjtkbw007

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Mine still running good after over 2.5 years. I do at least one factory reset every year to keep things fresh. Smart switch is awesome. Almost traded it for the s23 ultra but glad I waited. Might bite on the 24 ultra if samsung has good trade in values.
You know our trade-in value is going to be trash. I'm waiting for the 24 Ultra myself.

vader4633

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
You know our trade-in value is going to be trash. I'm waiting for the 24 Ultra myself.
Almost tempted to grab a s23 ultra right now from samsung since they are offering $625 for my s21 ultra then get the 23 ultra for $368. Use it till the 24 ultra comes out and look to trade the s23 ultra in for the s24 ultra to get a better trade in since the promo trade in for the s21 ultra will be lower. But you never know how much they will give for the 21 ultra for the 24 ultra in a few months.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Almost tempted to grab a s23 ultra right now from samsung since they are offering $625 for my s21 ultra then get the 23 ultra for $368. Use it till the 24 ultra comes out and look to trade the s23 ultra in for the s24 ultra to get a better trade in since the promo trade in for the s21 ultra will be lower. But you never know how much they will give for the 21 ultra for the 24 ultra in a few months.
That's a pretty good price

Reactions: J Dubbs

Roadijeff

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
Are most people upgrading mainly because of a newer model number or something? My s21 Ultra still runs great after over 2.5 years, battery life is around 3 days and it has helped me get boarding group #1 several times this week for TRON and Guardians here at Disneyworld. Those of you who visit Disney know what I'm talking about with that last one. ;)

Until something significantly better comes along I'm keeping my s21U.

jbjtkbw007

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
I ended up ordering a Pixel 8 Pro 256GB to tide me over until the 24Ultra. I'll use that in conjunction with my Razr+. Gonna try those Pixel Buds Pro with AI also.

vader4633

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I ended up ordering a Pixel 8 Pro 256GB to tide me over until the 24Ultra. I'll use that in conjunction with my Razr+. Gonna try those Pixel Buds Pro with AI also.
Almost got one as well just to try something different than Samsung. Interested to see what you think.

jbjtkbw007

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Almost got one as well just to try something different than Samsung. Interested to see what you think.
Not going to lie. I'm really enjoying it. I've had it for 2 days now and usage and calls are great. I miss the Samsung keyboard though. I'm going to take a bunch of photos tonight at my daughter's Sweet 16 party, so I'm going to play around with the new editing features this weekend. I'll keep you posted.

I will say one thing I fear is that I'll end up liking this enough that I won't want to upgrade to the S4 Ultra.