Smartphones these days

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
That's questionable to me because they discontinued the Note 10+ in 2021. Hell, I'm pretty sure even then the Note 20 Ultra was also discontinued.

It's very easy unfortunately for sellers to re-seal an item and pass it off as new. I've seen it done before. Ebay can be great for deals, but also people like to scam on there a lot. I'm not saying that yours is... However, given that it was a device that came out in 2019, and was discontinued in 2021, something doesn't quite add up there. I would think they would have had to open the box to update the device to a 2022 update.

Reactions: J Dubbs

Mr. Lucky

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
I have also felt that things have stagnated the past few years. But then the large outer screen Razr+ and Z-flip 5 flip phones came along! And then I discovered Niagra Launcher, which totally rethinks the screen setup and how we use our phones. It's not for everyone, but I'm fast becoming a convert as I learn of new features I didn't know about.

As far as bringing back the headphone jack or SD card, I don't think so. The emphasis today is on dust and water resistance, and having those cavities doesn't jibe.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I have also felt that things have stagnated the past few years. But then the large outer screen Razr+ and Z-flip 5 flip phones came along! And then I discovered Niagra Launcher, which totally rethinks the screen setup and how we use our phones. It's not for everyone, but I'm fast becoming a convert as I learn of new features I didn't know about.

As far as bringing back the headphone jack or SD card, I don't think so. The emphasis today is on dust and water resistance, and having those cavities doesn't jibe.
I'm not a fan of SD cards, in fact I actively oppose them. But my S23 Ultra has exactly as many cavities without an SD card as my S10 had with one.. don't believe the marketing.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Yep I'm not a big fan of SD cards either... too often they tend to be "The Weakest Link" in a phone experience... but I also don't need a lot of storage on my phones.

I could see people definitely having a use case for them though 😉

Last edited:

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I love the SD card. I store a lot of music, all full albums, some even in high-res formats. Change phones and all I do is take the card out, stick it in the new phone and done.

Water and dust resistance isn't really affected by the slot because these days, the SD card is in the same tray as the SIM card which is still going to be there for a little while at least.

I'm going to to have to get a new phone soon since I shattered the glass on my S20 FE. Still works, but kind of gritty against my finger. With almost 100GB of music on a 256GB card, that's going to be a pain to copy over to a new phone with no SD card slot. And any new phone will need 256GB minimum storage. That and I do take tons of photos. Although those are regularly backed up so I don't need to keep those on the phone.

So, yeah, some of us will miss the SD card dearly. I don't get the hate for something that has no affect on any other function of the device.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I love the SD card. I store a lot of music, all full albums, some even in high-res formats. Change phones and all I do is take the card out, stick it in the new phone and done.

Water and dust resistance isn't really affected by the slot because these days, the SD card is in the same tray as the SIM card which is still going to be there for a little while at least.

I'm going to to have to get a new phone soon since I shattered the glass on my S20 FE. Still works, but kind of gritty against my finger. With almost 100GB of music on a 256GB card, that's going to be a pain to copy over to a new phone with no SD card slot. And any new phone will need 256GB minimum storage. That and I do take tons of photos. Although those are regularly backed up so I don't need to keep those on the phone.

So, yeah, some of us will miss the SD card dearly. I don't get the hate for something that has no affect on any other function of the device.
Getting corrupted very easily and losing everything that you had put trust in that little guy lol

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Getting corrupted very easily and losing everything that you had put trust in that little guy lol
I personally know a couple of people who switched to iPhone because their Samsung phones "got corrupted and deleted all my pictures and files". Of course it was actually their SD cards that failed, but that's not how people think about these things. Not to mention how slow they are...

It also always annoyed me that the SD card slot was built into the second SIM slot in recent years, so if you need dual SIM, your Note 10 or S20 doesn't actually have a micro SD slot anyway.

This wasn't even supposed to be my point lol. I was making the point that much as I don't like them, SD cards do not impact water resistance.."

Mr. Lucky

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
This wasn't even supposed to be my point lol. I was making the point that much as I don't like them, SD cards do not impact water resistance.."
I stand corrected. But I still don't think they're going to make a comeback ... for the reasons you and others have stated, and because it's too easy to wind up with a knock-off.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
I have found that people either love SD cards, or don't care. I still don't expect this to be something that ever comes back in smart phones, and most definitely not in Samsung phones. It's really not a question of that though if you ask me... But give us the option. I know people who have/had access to SD card, and never use it. This is another reason I wish LG was still around... I am fairly certain if they were, they would still offer us devices with SD card support and a headphone jack. Namely the LG V60 which name out in 2020, which was a fantastic device, but had a share of issues.

I love SD cards due to the fact that you can store all media files on something other than your device, without having to worry about your device storage running out and being cluttered over time. This is what I have always done and the convenience of them to me. Imagine being able to only have a device with 128gb of storage, and then being able to expand it further to either 512gb or 1TB even. That's basically unlimited storage. For someone who doesn't have or use a PC, that's great.

Regardless of whether it is a general issue or not, I have never really had an issue with SD cards. I don't know if I am just lucky or not, but I always had success with them. I have found buying a reliable brand like Samsung adds to the success rate of them.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
And I'm just here hoping someone makes a physical keyboard Bluetooth or USB-C add-on case for popular Android phones or even iPhones.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
Have you looked at the Logitech K380?
Oh not that type, those have been around for a while.

Thumbboard case assembly, like the old Typo for iPhone or Samsung S8 keyboard cover.

It would probably have to be molded for specific devices, not sure just plugging in a USB-C at the bottom would be secure enough and it would look weird.

Anyway it's unlikely.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Oh not that type, those have been around for a while.

Thumbboard case assembly, like the old Typo for iPhone or Samsung S8 keyboard cover.

It would probably have to be molded for specific devices, not sure just plugging in a USB-C at the bottom would be secure enough and it would look weird.

Anyway it's unlikely.
Could be a nice MagSafe/Qi2 accessory... I would not like to have to do the engineering on it though lol

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Samsung tried to sticking to it with their A series but eventually gave in. I get it, business.

Not that I looked hard for it but even in Manila last year I don't think there are companies that support it. Even IR Blaster, only the flagship Xiaomi models offered it.

It's never been about the amount of data I have, I just hate streaming in general. Take Disney+ or Netflix, I downloaded a few Movies & TV Shows and a few hours into my Philippines trip, having no connection I have no access to any of my downloads?!?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej