[solved] Messed up; how to fix? (Trying to root VZW Galaxy Note 4 running Lollipop)

Noobish Charles

May 8, 2015
Visit site
A bit of history:

1. Got a Verizon Galaxy Note 4 relatively soon after it was launched, running Kit Kat.

2. Switched carriers from Verizon to T-Mobile. Everything worked fine.

3. Saw that Verizon rolled out Lollipop. Made a bad decision: briefly go back to Verizon, update to Lollipop, then go back to T-mobile in the course of one day.

4. With a T-mobile SIM card in, voice calls work fine but mobile data doesn't work.

(5. A few days later T-mobile rolls out Lollipop. Tough break.)

Now I'm trying to flash T-mobile's lollipop onto the phone. Step one, attempt to root using CVF-Auto-Root. (In more detail, trying to follow the steps at trueandroid[dotcom]/how-to-root-verizon-galaxy-note-4-sm-n910v-easy-guide/. Sorry, I can't post links.)

But the operation in Odin fails at the last step. These are the messages I get:

<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> recovery.img
<ID:0/005> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/005> cache.img.ext4
<ID:0/005> FAIL! (Auth)
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

I'd be grateful for any help. Thanks.

---------

EDIT: I was able to roll back the OS to stock Verizon KitKat 4.4.4, even without rooting. I used instructions found on the xda dev forum. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

SECOND EDIT: After successfully rolling back to KitKat 4.4.4, I still had issues with mobile data. Only then did I remember a necessary step: I had to chain the Access Point Names (APNs) from VZW's to T-Mobile's. After doing that on 4.4.4, mobile data worked fine. Then I re-flashed Lollipop, again had mobile data issues, and then changed the APNs from VZW's to T-Mobile's, and presto: worked fine.

Last edited:

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Messed up; how to fix? (Trying to root VZW Galaxy Note 4 running Lollipop)

A bit of history:

1. Got a Verizon Galaxy Note 4 relatively soon after it was launched, running Kit Kat.

3. Saw that Verizon rolled out Lollipop. Made a bad decision: briefly go back to Verizon, update to Lollipop, then go back to T-mobile in the course of one day.

4. With a T-mobile SIM card in, voice calls work fine but mobile data doesn't work.

Now I'm trying to flash T-mobile's lollipop onto the phone. Step one, attempt to root using CVF-Auto-Root. (In more detail, trying to follow the steps at trueandroid[dotcom]/how-to-root-verizon-galaxy-note-4-sm-n910v-easy-guide/. Sorry, I can't post links.)

Get PIT for mapping..
Firmware update start..
recovery.img
NAND Write Start!!
cache.img.ext4
FAIL! (Auth)
All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

If I were you, I would go to xda forums, search the Verizon Note 4 forums about rooting.

Last I read, there was a possibility Verizon could be rooted, but it came with a locked bootloader, so loading a custom ROM isn't something that can be done, from what I've read.. Not sure about an official Samsung ROM.

Also in the root threads, they are pretty good about answering questions and very knowledgeable. Just make sure it is in the "how to root" thread.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Messed up; how to fix? (Trying to root VZW Galaxy Note 4 running Lollipop)

I knew I had read about access regarding Verizon. I don't keep up with Verizon rooting much, except for checking here and there. If they get Verizon rooting, they will get AT&T and the other way around.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
A bit of history:

Get PIT for mapping..
Firmware update start..
recovery.img
NAND Write Start!!
cache.img.ext4
FAIL! (Auth)
All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

---------

EDIT: I was able to roll back the OS to stock Verizon KitKat 4.4.4, even without rooting. I used instructions found on the xda dev forum. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Hmm.. Ok, with your edit, in theory, you should be able to root now.

If you now do the T-mobile update, if possible, you can root the T-mobile variant. I was under the impression that even a Verizon unlocked, has to do a Verizon update even when unlocked.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoverSpike