[Solved]Status bar question – Why the Speedtest & download icons?

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
A couple questions please :). . .

1) Why does—what looks like—the Speedtest icon always appear whenever I have Wi-Fi turned on? And only show after I've swyped-down the Quick settings & notifications screen?
Those two icons don't show on the Home screen or any other screen, or on the black Status bar, rather they only show after swyping-down the ugly grey Quick settings & notifications screen — immediately to the left of the signal strength bars. :unsure:

2) And, why does the signal strength bars icon continually show—on both the Home screen & Quick settings & notifications screen—even when I have Wi-Fi & Mobile data both turned off? 🙃
Thanks for any & all explanations!

Screenshot_20240312_174948_One UI Home.jpg

Screenshot_20240312_181248_One UI Home.jpg
S23+
UI 6.0 v.14

Last edited:

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
This shows what all the icons are...

For the two you see...

The "speedtest" looking icon is actually a performance profile indicator. Yours has a leaf-looking thing at the bottom so it's probably in eco-mode.

The triangle with the up/down arrows is "Data Saver setting has been activated".

For the signal strength, that's because you still have a cell signal. Whether you have data turned on or not, you can still make and get calls. That would go away only once you go into airplane mode.

Reactions: winmod21

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
This shows what all the icons are...

For the two you see...

The "speedtest" looking icon is actually a performance profile indicator. Yours has a leaf-looking thing at the bottom so it's probably in eco-mode.

The triangle with the up/down arrows is "Data Saver setting has been activated".

For the signal strength, that's because you still have a cell signal. Whether you have data turned on or not, you can still make and get calls. That would go away only once you go into airplane mode.
Wow, thanks for your brilliant help! I suppose I should've tried to look those up first. 😳
Really appreciate your explanations. 👏
Boy do I feel dumb ! 😄
Oh Jeeees! I forgot that I had toggled that 'Data saver' on, under Settings > Connections > Data usage > Data saver ! :rolleyes:
And duh, I also turned-on the 'Light' Performance profile, 5 months ago after setting it up. :rolleyes:
Moreover, I just didn't remember those signal strength bars always showing! :unsure:
Could it be a case of . . Temporary Dumbentia?

Okay . . . never mind. ;)

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Wow, thanks for your brilliant help! I suppose I should've tried to look those up first.
Really appreciate your explanations.
Boy do I feel dumb !
Oh Jeeees! I forgot that I had toggled that 'Data saver' on, under Settings > Connections > Data usage > Data saver ! :rolleyes:
And duh, I also turned-on the 'Light' Performance profile, 5 months ago after setting it up. :rolleyes:
Moreover, I just didn't remember those signal strength bars always showing! :unsure:
Could it be a case of . . Temporary Dumbentia?

Okay . . . never mind. ;)
No problem. Sometimes we all need little reminder.

Reactions: winmod21