Static / Crackling Noises When Recording Videos

egon10psi

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I both have this issue with our S20s. We have been using them to make videos for about 2 years now and never had this problem until around 6 months ago.

It sounds like static or crackling throughout the video. It doesn't matter if we use internal or external mics although using a Bluetooth LAV does seem to mostly alleviate the problem. Even weirder, it's intermittent. Seems to happen more or almost every time when filming in portrait mode.

She ended up trading her S20 in for an S21 Ultra last week, static/noise is gone but my phone is still doing it.

Any help or troubleshooting guides would be greatly appreciated.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Your welcome!
If its ok in safe mode then check some 3rd party apps or applications Uninstall them one by one until it goes away

I'd recommend uninstalling the 3rd party apps that were most recently installed, since it did work prior to something more recent.

egon10psi

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I'd recommend uninstalling the 3rd party apps that were most recently installed, since it did work prior to something more recent.

The problem is that I have been dealing with this for about 5 months. It's daunting to figure out which app I have installed or updated since that could be causing it :(. Is there a way to see all apps that are running in the background?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The problem is that I have been dealing with this for about 5 months. It's daunting to figure out which app I have installed or updated since that could be causing it :(. Is there a way to see all apps that are running in the background?

Go to Settings>Privacy>Permission Manager>Microphone, and see which apps have permission turned on. Try toggling them off one by one to see if that helps.

egon10psi

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Go to Settings>Privacy>Permission Manager>Microphone, and see which apps have permission turned on. Try toggling them off one by one to see if that helps.

I'll try this! Thank you all for your help.

If nothing else I'll just go into Safe Mode for content creating until the S22 comes out.