Strange Note 9 failed unlock!!

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
I received the Pie update approximately two weeks ago, my carrier is Sprint fortunately that's not the issue.

The issue is while waiting at the Dr's office with my wife, I usually run through my phone like everyone else does while waiting so called patiently. Took my usual once over of other people in the waiting room, and sure enough everyone else is on their phone, so let me commence to getting on mine.

I placed my fingerprint on my phone, it failed to unlock.
I then tried to use facial recognition, again failed to unlock.

I did what you would have thought would have been a sure thing was put my pin in my phone, and what do you know, again failed to unlock.

I didn't want to reboot my phone at the time because I knew it would be asking for the pin first to do the initial unlock.
And then once that's accepted, you then are open to use the other unlock procedures.

So if there is an issue I needed to get in my phone right away, or before I had some sort of update that went through, or some sort of shut down that happens, then I'm screwed on getting in my phone, unless I do a full factory reset, AND THAT I DIDN'T WANT TO DO just yet.

Before I started to panic, I gave my phone a 5 to 10 minute break before trying to unlock my phone again. Phone wasn't hot nor cold, it was normal, as if nothing noticed in temperature changes.

I must say the whole time having Oreo, I never had any issues unlocking my phone ever, nor with any Samsung phone I've ever had.

So I'm asking any of you, have you ever went through this after installing the Pie update?
I point to the Pie update because like I said, I never had an issue with unlocking a Samsung phone before and after an update until now.

So after about a 10 minute wait, I was able to get in my phone using the PIN. I immediately went to a quick sinc to Google and a quick backup to Samsung Cloud before trying to unlock again. I have this set for automatic just so you know, but wanted to do a sinc just in case.

Second time around I tried facial recognition immediately unlocked.

Third time I tried pin again and although it unlocked phone every time, it just seemed like it hesitated a little and the apps slowly started filling in once unlocked. (Note,) it was not like this when I first got the update, they immediately filled right it, no lag no hesitation.

So I ran through all unlock procedures right in front of my wife to confirm I wasn't going out of my freak n mind.

She agreed. So when I put the pin in, the apps had a slight lag when screen loaded up. Things are not as quick as snappy when I originally got the update and this only seem to have started today, after the initial failed unlocking procedures.

I checked her phone out which is also a note 9, of course no problems there and you could tell how fast things were.
Went to Sprint and they offered to take my phone and give me another. This would have been a refurbished phone. A refurbished note 9, no I'll pass.

I bought an S9+,
I temporarily loaded everything into the S9+. And of course everything is snappy asf.

I SAMSUNG SMART switched everything BACK INTO MY GALAXY NOTE 9 after a factory reset. I'm not worried about the purchase of the extra phone that's nothing. I can give it to my mother, or my sister that's the least of my worries.
I need my original note 9 to work right.

They said that they will replace it if there's an issue. Again no!!!!
if it was the screen they can change the screen out that's different the whole phone, that's a no no for me. I told him give me a brand new one, well you know what they said about that right?

After the factory reset everything is fine.
If everything continues to work okay I'll take the S9+ and give it to Mom. Uggghhhh!!
Why????? Now I'm scared this will happen again.
I'm extremely sorry for the long run off but if anyone knows why this happened, have this happened to them, what else would there be to do, and what did I miss??
Please post it, because although everything seems to be normal it's driving me crazy worrying about it.
Thank you

Update: Sprint gave me 14 days to return the S9+ device, mom's didn't want it. She's happy with her S8. Oh well, I'll hang on to it just in case and then take it back. All it cost is a 45.00 restocking fee. Supervisor said he'd wave it as long as no damage.

Phone seems to be working excellent now.
I ran a few speed test with hers and it held it's own. So I'm starting to feel a little better. The S9+ feels so good in the hands, ladies. 🤔😂
Yea you know where I got that from. smdh
Shout out to Flossy salute!!! homie!

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
that is strange to have happened
but be sure to sign into your Google and Samsung account that way you can try unlock on Samsung website which has that feature remote log in or open.
next time that happens try entering your password few times wrong it will give 30 seconds to try again then put your correct one see what happens .

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I can't tell you why it happened, but the fingerprint sensor on my Pixel 2 failed after a few months, so Google sent me a replacement. No fingerprint sensor. So they sent me another one. Wash, rinse, repeat. 4 phones, no working fingerprint sensor. Defective fingerprints?

After the 4th one (maybe a week after I got it), I was working with a Google developer to see if they could determine, from a core dump, what was going on. The fingerprint sensor started working. Wouldn't accept any new ones, but it worked (with one fingerprint, which is a bit iffy - if you cut that finger, the fingerprint won't match). About 2 weeks ago, I figured, "what the heck?" and tried to add a fingerprint from my other hand. It worked.

I think we have a way to go before no one has fingerprint sensor problems. Facial recognition? If it's too loose, anyone can unlock it by looking at it. Too tight, and if you didn't get enough sleep it won't unlock. PIN? All phones are encrypted these days. One bit flipped and you're dead in the water. (The more a phone can do, the easier it is for it to not do it.)

(As far as the refurb, with most carriers and MVNOs in the US, you can get a new replacement within 2 weeks of purchase. After that your phone is considered used, so you get a refurb. A good refurb from a carrier is usually as good as a new phone. The only thing that would bother me, in this day of user-non-replaceable batteries, is "did the original user misuse the battery?" I don't want the battery to fail in 6 months. But back in Note 3 days, I got 3 exchanges, and the 3rd refurb is still working. No fingerprint sensor, and finding a decent battery for it is almost impossible [they're made at the time of manufacture, which was 2013 for the Note 3] and they sit]. But the phone still works as well as it did the day I got my new one.)

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, but
Still just worries me.
I use to say I'd put my note 9 up against anyone's phone. Not so sure about thatm now.
I even had planned on keeping it after buying note 10. We shall see.
So far, so good though.

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
I can't tell you why it happened, but the fingerprint sensor on my Pixel 2 failed after a few months, so Google sent me a replacement. No fingerprint sensor. So they sent me another one. Wash, rinse, repeat. 4 phones, no working fingerprint sensor. Defective fingerprints?

After the 4th one (maybe a week after I got it), I was working with a Google developer to see if they could determine, from a core dump, what was going on. The fingerprint sensor started working. Wouldn't accept any new ones, but it worked (with one fingerprint, which is a bit iffy - if you cut that finger, the fingerprint won't match). About 2 weeks ago, I figured, "what the heck?" and tried to add a fingerprint from my other hand. It worked.

I think we have a way to go before no one has fingerprint sensor problems. Facial recognition? If it's too loose, anyone can unlock it by looking at it. Too tight, and if you didn't get enough sleep it won't unlock. PIN? All phones are encrypted these days. One bit flipped and you're dead in the water. (The more a phone can do, the easier it is for it to not do it.)

(As far as the refurb, with most carriers and MVNOs in the US, you can get a new replacement within 2 weeks of purchase. After that your phone is considered used, so you get a refurb. A good refurb from a carrier is usually as good as a new phone. The only thing that would bother me, in this day of user-non-replaceable batteries, is "did the original user misuse the battery?" I don't want the battery to fail in 6 months. But back in Note 3 days, I got 3 exchanges, and the 3rd refurb is still working. No fingerprint sensor, and finding a decent battery for it is almost impossible [they're made at the time of manufacture, which was 2013 for the Note 3] and they sit]. But the phone still works as well as it did the day I got my new one.)

Very nice. Getting that much out of a note 3.
Salute!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I actually prefer the Pixel now. I tried to sell the Note 3, but couldn't get a decent offer, so I'm keeping it. I have no idea why.

hmung

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
The same thing has happened to me on multiple occasions. I even had to do a factory reset. For me tho it was the lock screen for the game launcher. When you try to slide the lock outside of the circle it just stays. Wont unlock. Usually putting it to sleep then starting it back up works just fine . However I have had to do a soft reset 2x sofar. I cant stand this pie update. Really thinking about getting a s8 because I heard there not getting pie. That and the s10 with it's dead pixels i mean garbage camera placement has ruined Samsung for me.....been a diehard since the s6 edge to.....XZ4 is lookin good

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This is what I'm talking about when your sign into your Samsung account

Attachments

• 220.jpg
    220.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 50

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
I actually prefer the Pixel now. I tried to sell the Note 3, but couldn't get a decent offer, so I'm keeping it. I have no idea why.

Pixel 3 takes some great pictures, I'll give them that. And at least you get the software updates on time with the Pixel👍