stuck on checking for updates screen

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Rebooting a modem and router can help in a number of ways... Also there is rarely a flat broadband rate everywhere and all the time. Even how you connect to ISP servers. Lots of hops going on.

3rd party firewall can interfere. I had a bad LAN cable to a printer interfered with wifi on all devices. Interference or conflict from other routers on same channel.

Even ISPs have trouble. Downed lines and server issues.

There's a brick wall in my house that can get in the way.

Checking mine, speed test shows 400, I pay for 300, but it is rare to see more than 250, and weekends tend to be slower. Luckily no ice storm or downed trees and lines.

I've had 95% less issues since installing a WI-FI 6 router, plan to go 6E when that's out.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Rebooting a modem and router can help in a number of ways... Also there is rarely a flat broadband rate everywhere and all the time. Even how you connect to ISP servers. Lots of hops going on.

3rd party firewall can interfere. I had a bad LAN cable to a printer interfered with wifi on all devices. Interference or conflict from other routers on same channel.

Checking mine, speed test shows 400, I pay for 300, but it is rare to see more than 250, and weekends tend to be slower. Luckily no ice storm or downed trees and lines.

I've had 95% less issues since installing a WI-FI 6 router, plan to go 6E when that's out.
You made me think of something if using a VPN try to disable that.

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site

If that was the case then everything would be slow and I am having no issues with anything else. Either on my phone or other devices.

rcab

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I am on S21 locked to T-Mobile and did software update check and it quickly said I have the latest update.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I never got email updates to thread replies. Why now? Daily? An option was removed or added? Could swear notifications are off. That I didn't choose to subscribe. No way to disable this behavior?

Your phone is trying to talk to a server that is a remote host for Samsung. It may be Chicago or NYC area or Utah. Glad everything (else) is working as it should. My ISP has dozens of hubs csattered throughout the state and ping varies with every which one.

When Apple pushed Big Sur 11.01 out the door it was an unmitigated disaster. Fast 11GB 90% then... stuck, stalled, and a perfect storm? Normal is 1GB per minute. People were seeing it take hours. Of course 10 years ago 1GB/hour was acceptable.

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I just checked it and it is working fine took about 15 seconds to check for an update. I didn't change any settings or reset my router or anything like that everything was the same so the problem must have resided in the server connection. Thanks for all your help and troubleshooting.

Jesus Delgadillo

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I wonder what the issue is with mine then. I have the S21+ Verizon edition.
I had the same issue with my Verizon S20 Ultra Monday. I had to clear data on the system settings to make it stop. It seems like it was a Verizon or Samsung server issue cause now it's working fine checking for updates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BiggerBoat1919