Swiftkey Keyboard: constant pop up notifications asking to confirm keyboard or...

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi All:

i've been using Swiftkey Keyboard for a long time and now, it has been bought by Microsoft, so now it's called Microsoft Swiftkey.

on any of my previous phones, including the S20 Ultra which i used from its introduction around Feb/March 2020 till just a week ago, everything was fine as usual.

with this new S21 Ultra, however, i get very frequent (roughly daily, if not multiple times each day, very annoying!) pop ups requesting something. i can't even tell what it's requesting, but it seems like it's asking me to confirm my keyboard choice or possibly Samsung Keyboard asking me if i want to use the Samsung Keyboard? i can't tell, as it doesn't have an explicit question asking me anything. when the pop up shows up, the bullet point for selecting which keyboard i want to use has ALREADY selected/highlighted the Microsoft Swiftkey keyboard. i have no idea why either the S21 Ultra or Samsung Keyboard or something else keeps wanting me to confirm this multiple times each and every day!

may i please kindly ask if someone could please try to help me resolve this please?

thank you in advance.

resn80101

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Go to Settings / General Management / Keyboard list and default

Be sure "Default keyboard" is set to Microsoft SwiftKey Keyboard

Hope that helps.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Go to Settings / General Management / Keyboard list and default

Be sure "Default keyboard" is set to Microsoft SwiftKey Keyboard

Hope that helps.
@resn80101: thank you for kindly giving me those thoughts. I have already done that.

That was one of the first things I made sure of when I first received the S21 Ultra, as the keyboard is one of the most important functions.

Wonder what could be the problem?

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Did you turn off the Samsung keyboard?
@kjjb0204: may i please ask exactly how i should do that please?

in this new version of Samsung's firmware/software, i don't see how to do that (slight change from previous samsung firmware) and i've always thought that i can ONLY have one keyboard turned "ON" at a time.

look forward to your reply. thanks so much in advance.

sorry i'm so slow at this.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
@kjjb0204: may i please ask exactly how i should do that please?

in this new version of Samsung's firmware/software, i don't see how to do that (slight change from previous samsung firmware) and i've always thought that i can ONLY have one keyboard turned "ON" at a time.

look forward to your reply. thanks so much in advance.

sorry i'm so slow at this.
Same place as directions above. Settings - general management - keyboard list and default. It's in there, you can turn the Samsung keyboard completely off. Screenshot_20210213-151349_Settings.jpg

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Same place as directions above. Settings - general management - keyboard list and default. It's in there, you can turn the Samsung keyboard completely off. View attachment 331864
@kjjb0204: thank you. like your screenshot, note please that while the default keyboard says the one you and i selected (Gboard for you and Microsoft Swiftkey for me), note that the next line, the Samsung Keyboard line, DOES NOT have a slider switch! several rows lower, you have another Samsung Keyboard line with a slider switch which you have turned off. I do NOT have that 2nd Samsung Keyboard line which in your screenshot is row #6.

so when you said "It's in there, you can turn the Samsung keyboard completely off ", may i please ask HOW I would turn the Samsung keyboard "completely off" please when i only have your row #2, where it says Samsung keyboard but does not have a slider switch? i do not have the row #6 Samsung keyboard that has the slider switch! how odd, right?

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
@kjjb0204: thank you. like your screenshot, note please that while the default keyboard says the one you and i selected (Gboard for you and Microsoft Swiftkey for me), note that the next line, the Samsung Keyboard line, DOES NOT have a slider switch! several rows lower, you have another Samsung Keyboard line with a slider switch which you have turned off. I do NOT have that 2nd Samsung Keyboard line which in your screenshot is row #6.

so when you said "It's in there, you can turn the Samsung keyboard completely off ", may i please ask HOW I would turn the Samsung keyboard "completely off" please when i only have your row #2, where it says Samsung keyboard but does not have a slider switch? i do not have the row #6 Samsung keyboard that has the slider switch! how odd, right?

Can we see a screenshot of what you see when in that same setting page?

Johnson21x

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I have a tmobile s21plus. And i don't have that option to turn off the samsung keyboard.

I can turn off the samsung voice and everything else in there but just not samsung keyboard.

I guess carriers have different options

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
finally! after turning off everything that i am able to turn off for the Samsung keyboard, i.e. miscellaneous things like Samsung speech recognition, etc., finally, at long last, the pop up requester asking me to select a keyboard is no longer popping up!

whew. it was very annoying, as it popped up numerous times each day.

i guess the lesson here is this: even if one were to leave one of those may Samsung keyboard options in the "on" position, it would trigger the "select a keyboard" pop up. how weird? poorly designed! i've already selected my default keyboard as the Swiftkey!!

thank you all for helping me out. very grateful.